Test Drive: Ferrari Legends PS3/XBOX 360 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Test Drive: Ferrari Legends PS3/XBOX 360

Discussion in 'Technology' started by WJHMH, Sep 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    NEW favorite car...641 F1. Finally got past the autocross at Imola (it's tough...can't touch any objects and must finish in a certain time) and moved on to the next series. The second event was a race against the 126 C2 and F1-87 with the 641 F1 and it just KILLS. Fast but much better grip levels and smoother through the turns than either car. As big of a leap forward as going from the 365 GTB4 to the Testarossa.

2. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I'm behind you but coming on strong.

I finished driving the 330 P4. I'm driving with the cockpit view and each car is unique to drive. They do a fine job of mixing it up so you get different sensations. This game is not one car that is skinned with different Ferrari bodies. Each car is unique. I finished one car and they put me in the 330 P4 and I have to start learning how to drive all over again. By the time you get it wired you've finished the challenge and they drop you into something different. Its great fun :D

Right now I'm half way through the Dino challenge and then its on to the Silver Era starting with the 512BB. So many great cars still to come and I can't wait to see how they sound and feel to drive. I bet the modern era F1 cars are going to be amazing.

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Warning: the 512 bb is a ROYAL pain in the arse. No finessing it into turns...awkward and unbalanced to drive (in the game). Agree that the diversity in handling from car-to-car is what keeps you coming back. And really, none of the cars should drive the same anyway.

I'm betting you're correct about the modern era F1 cars. I like the Silver era ones, but I imagine the modern ones will be ridiculous. You have to adjust to the speed and glue-like handling of the F1's, but once you get it down they are insane vs the gt's.

4. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #79 Str8shooter, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finished the challenges using the Dino. Fun car to drive but it was the least challenging so far. Driving around the Misty Loch circuit
    in the Dino had me wondering what sort of adventure my friend in this picture had :)

Got to try the 512BB and didn't find it troublesome at all. The track was completely new to me so my first laps were about 16 seconds off the pace
    but as I learned the track I was able to shave time off until I got within about 3 seconds of the designated time before quitting for the night.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    FWIW, C&D's review: http://blog.caranddriver.com/test-drive-ferrari-racing-legends-video-game-review/

6. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I'd say that review is a pretty fair assessment of the game.

However, a couple points were a bit off in my opinion.

One is the difficulty. They said that some races are easy and some were very hard and it was inconsistent. While that is true it should be understood that is by design. They put you in a new car at a new track and give you something easy to do so you can learn how to drive both. Then you get something much more challenging and the difficulty ramps up. Each level is like that and I think it is a great way to learn and become comfortable with each new car.

The other is the AI. There is no doubt they are hard to race against but they don't always take the same line and will often get out of shape or tangle with another AI car. Many are equally as fast as you so the only way to beat them is to out brake and out corner them. That is what makes the racing so challenging.

They can also be aggressive and I've had them turn in to me in an unnatural way or hook me from behind and at times its frustrating but the challenge is to not let it happen in the first place. Early on in the campaign there is a race where you have to block the car behind you to keep them from passing. That is a lesson for a skill you will need to put in use later on in the campaign to fight off the aggressive AI. They've give you a clue and its up to you to use it. I feel the AI in this game is far more competitive than Forza 4. In F4 I'd either be way out in front or way behind depending on the difficulty setting. In this game I find myself constantly in the pack fighting for 1st and it makes for some exciting racing.

Right now I'm finishing up the 512BB races and it has been very challenging. It took me one night just to set a required lap time. Last night I was racing it at Silverstone and had to finish 1st to advance. I just couldn't catch the leader and kept finishing second. Then on my last attempt before rage quitting :D I was running a close second but still couldn't catch the leader when we were coming around the last couple of turns and a hay bale was in the track after I knocked it there from a previous lap and the leader hit the hay bale head on and went airborne in a single revolution spiral and landed upside down just as I passed him for the win. It was just too cool.

I'd say it is a must have for a Ferrari fan especially when the price drops under $30. I really wish they would do the same with Porsche :)

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Very accurate assessment. The variety in difficulty between cars makes it entertaining. I don't kow how accurate it is, but I think it works.

I told you the 512bb challenge was a beast. It's the worst so far, and I'm up to the 333sp challenge now

8. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I finished the 512BB tonight and then they put me in a 312 B3-74 and it was fun to drive.

Drove through that level ok and then I found myself in a 308 GTB Quattrovalvole. After driving the open wheel car the 308 seemed like a dog and was very slow. That series was by far the easiest. Then I get put in a 312 T4 and my first time ever driving at Spa in any game. After plugging along in the 308 the sense of speed in the 312 T4 was incredible. Again, the transition from one car to the next really keeps you on your toes and keeps the experience fresh.

I really like the Spa circuit and can't wait to become more familiar with it. I wish they had some of these tracks in Forza 4 :D

9. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the feedback; sounds like a must-have for the Nut household. Now if I can just get my son to let me play his XBOX 360. :eek: :D

10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Nothing performs at Spa like the 641 F1 (so far). On that 10 lap run, be careful in the later laps. The handling changes as rhe tires/fuel load changes.

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    My G27 is broken so I'm not playing this until I get a new wheel, ugh...this sucks.

12. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Finished my stint in the 288 GTO. Great car with new sounds ( turbocharged? ) but a bit of a handful to drive especially the challenge where you have to beat a set lap time. Took a while to beat it but after that the racing was very easy. Seemed my car out classed the others and victory was a breeze. Now I'm in a Testarossa and looking forward to the F40 and the next open wheel car.

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cool.

Last night I drove a 360* via the original Forza, not quite the same I'm sure.

I can't wait for the next XBOX system to come out so I can get a hand-me-down 360* from my sons.

*Double 360 reference coincidental. :D

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    My new favorite moment in the game is when I climbed in my F40 and tried to run the pack down at Spa with my surround sound turned as loud as my neighbors can stand.
    The sound was glorious and I must say the experience was much more immersive than what I had with an F40 in Forza 4.

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I've tried to bite my tongue s as not to over-hype the game, but CONCUR fully! Wait until you get he F40 Competitione. In one race you have to pass a bunch of F40's within three laps. Epic!

16. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    So, I havent frequented this forum regularly in a while for a number of reasons - just too much freaking work. I hadnt heard ANYTHING about this game at all until today. I happened to be walking through the PX here in Afghanistan and BAM!!!! There it was sitting on the shelf - and me and my XBox are 7000 miles apart and I wont see it for a long, long time. I even looked at buying another 360 and a small tv just so I could play it, then I realized just how impractical that was...

So, I guess I will get to play it sometime next year....

Figures dont it???

PDG

17. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #92 Str8shooter, Aug 13, 2012
    I'm now in the modern era and have been spending a lot of time behind the wheel of these two cars. It is very cool to see them in person and then get to drive them in the game. The 355 hasn't been much of a challenge so I let all the cars go by and then make my way back to 1st. What makes it fun is driving clean and passing at the right time. The 333 SP is a blast as well as the open cockpit offers a different feel and driving sensation. I'm going to be bummed when I finish the game but with everything unlocked it will still be fun to create a race and drive my favorites.

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    You've caught up to me now. I'm at the Road America race in the 333 SP. My first try didn't go too well...too much braking. I tried it last night but ran out of time before I could finish the race. I'll get it done tonight though.

19. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando

I saw Road Atlanta about six events down the list from where I am now so I'll be on it tonight as well. I had a real tough time with one time trial and it took me three nights to finally figure out a way to shave enough time off to beat it. THEN, they put a couple cars in front and want me to beat that time by another 3 seconds while passing cars!

Also had a tough time with the ten lap events. I'd be in first on the last lap and it would either spin out on its own or I would get hit from behind. I drove conservatively to save tire wear but too slow and I'd get hit. My 10 laps were turned into 60 lappers :)

The 355 was fun to just work my way though the pack instead of the balls to the wall stuff in some of the other events. I'm really looking forward to what they reveal next.

20. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    After my second night trying the Road Atlanta Endurance race I'm at a loss as to how to beat it.

You have to drive really hard to catch the pack and by the time you do you've lost the good in your tires with nothing left for the last couple laps. I also have a problem with the cars behind catching me and wrecking me. I'll try again tomorrow but this is a tough one.

21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1...I'm starting to think slow and steady wins this one. I was braking late into corners the entire race and by the time I got to the last lap the car was on ice (and over-steering terribly)I think if you're fast but controlled it may work out. Tough race for sure though.

I want the 512tr though. Gotta get it done!

22. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #97 Str8shooter, Aug 16, 2012
    After three nights and about 150 laps I finally beat the Road Atlanta event :D

I got to the point where I could catch the pack and even managed to get into first a couple times but just didn't have the tires to hold them off. The AI doesn't let up after you pass them and they're very aggressive. Because the goal was to finish in third I decided to get in third and try to ride it out. I'd have it made it if the event was two laps shorter but the AI caught me. The next time I did it I was able to just barely stay in third and the only reason I finished it was for some reason the AI didn't wreck me even though my mirrors were full of them :)

For my effort I have received the car in the picture to add to my growing garage. Now they have me in an F50 and it is completely different than the 333SP. I'll have to learn how to drive it which is what makes the game so much fun. I'm really looking forward to the FXX Challenge and the modern F1 cars.

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Well done! I only get about 30 mins to try to beat that thing and fall apart with the tires every time. I need to do an assault on it this weekend to get that 512tr.

24. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I suggest trying to get into 4th place as soon as possible. I could get there on the second lap by out braking him going into the first left hand turn ( turn 5 ). From there it would take another two laps to pull the same move on the 3rd place car which would put you in the position you need to complete the event. From there you just need to follow 1st and 2nd. Due to lack of grip you really need to be careful on the turns but as long as the Ai doesn't ram you from behind you should make it.

The first time using this strategy I was too slow and got hit from behind. The second time they didn't get me and I completed it. It can be done and I hope this helps or gives you an idea as to how to attack it on your own. For me the worst part is every time you go around the carousel turn you can hear your tires getting used up :)

BTW, in one of the reviews it was said the tracks seem lifeless and void of action. I see this Road America track as highly detailed and filled with stuff. People camping on the hillside, stands filled with people and all kinds of stuff all along the track. It makes the Road America track in Forza 4 look like a private test day so I really don't see what that reviewer was talking about.

25. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #100 Str8shooter, Aug 20, 2012
    Just spent the last couple nights doing several events in a car like the one pictured here. While not particularly challenging it was fun up until I got to a circuit in Monte Carlo. It takes a lot of concentration and car control to drive such a twisty track so close to the wall especially in the F50 GT car. Finally finished the events and I'm inching closer to the FXX and those modern F1 cars :)