Tesla | FerrariChat

Tesla

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Napolis, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Tesla does make an amazing product but make no mistake. It is a second car for affluent buyers. Not sure whether they can or want to build a mass market car and if infrastructure can make all electric viable for a one-car owner.

3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Have pals using them daily - really nice car. Great factory support, too.

4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    It is Musk's stated goal. The future of passenger transportation is electric. Anyone going against Musk or Tesla will lose. It's been clear for quite a while.

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Yes.
    Except if you live near the 45th parallel. I'm shocked with the accolades Tesla is receiving for the S considering their timeline as a company but the car itself can only be seen as a boutique item at this point. Once the current crop of orders are filled followed by those having the wherewithal to upgrade their Prii, the waiting list will drop precipitously.

I can't wait to drive one given the reviews, however the car's limitations are beyond consideration for purchase.

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I like the Tesla! Isn't it basically a way-more-luxurious Chevy Volt with a lot more range?

A friend of mine bought a Volt and loves it. The 40 mile range is a bit limiting, but it still runs on gas if necessary. 40 miles works for most days.

She said that in 7 months she's spent about 15 bucks on gas. That sounds workable to me!

7. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #7 Vinny Bourne, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    Once the orders for US customers are filled, then it's Europe and beyond, when those are filled the Model X SUV will be put into production, once those orders are filled the mass market $30K version with hopefully much better tech in the battery (search metal air battery on google, companies and universities all over including Israel) will debut.

The only limitations will be the wallets of those wanting one.

It's basically an S-class with more tech and more performance, out accelerates many sportscars 0-60. It's all-american, beautiful, and good for the economy and environment. In my mind to be against the success of Tesla is like being against NASA. Inconceivable.

I have been saying this for close to 5 years, passenger transportation is going electric and OTR trucking is going natgas.

happening everywhere - NY to build at least 360 electric vehicle charging stations | syracuse.com --"goal is to create a statewide network of up to 3,000 public and workplace charging stations over the next five years "

And if Obummer knew what he was doing he would be helping the network grow FAST. Charger tech is also advancing very quickly. This is good for sports car owners, plenty of black goo for us.

8. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9qYfXltqE]Track Tested: 2012 Tesla Model S ? Edmunds.com Video - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURbzh9t0_0]Tesla Model X Reveal - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NDMi-jouAE]My Favorite Tesla Model S Color Combo - Elite Finish Detailing - YouTube[/ame]

9. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great car in every way, and yes if you have a Tesla you probably have somehting else for hose long trips.

Question is given the market cap can thye build enough cars and enough models to justify the investment.

From an automotive perspective its smashing sucess in every way, from a buisness perspective maybe not so much. But if thye go this far who knows.

One thing for sure, Musk has proven you can build a great useable electric car. Not only id they build the car, but they are making 20k cars per year.

Other than Tesla Is there any startup auto company since ww2in the USA that is anything more than a kit car manufacturer.

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

Can't argue with this one bit. And sadly, another missed opportunity for 0. He could have gone down on the books as the electric President.

Now, how to profit from the evolution...?

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    What limitations are you referring to?

Kai

13. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    The Tesla is more an M5 than a Volt for all intents and purposes.

Kai

14. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    The stock is in crazyland right now, way overvalued, I sold my last @ $45 and believe fair value is around $37, but I don't see when it will get back there. So it is too high to buy and I don't believe in shorting so just watch.

It's not too late for O to get on board (it was a Bush program that provided Tesla with the loan they just paid off). He should announce an american energy plan. Put super fast chargers everywhere via tax credit, sign the tax credit for converting 18 wheelers to lng, ok the XL, get congress to put a $10 per bpoe on exported LNG/oil and use that to build out a permanent renewable electric generation grid -- thorium, solar, and nat gas. Cheap energy at home and export all the oil and excess gas.

How to profit, Shell -- the best energy company, GE -- chargers and infrastructure, and yet to be picked -- a natgas pipeline company. http://s02.static-shell.com/content/dam/shell-new/local/country/usa/images-text/736-wide/lng-info-graph-736.jpg

I would like to see Shell do a partnership with Tesla installing chargers at select stations.

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    300 miles at 55 mph. I can't live with a car I will have difficulty starting at 0 Celsius and has a range limiting me to one of Canada's smaller provinces..

BUT I'd love to drive one although I'd never consider buying one.

16. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    you are right on that point. When I would still be in germany then I wouldnt even think about getting one. Now that I am in cali I am seriously consiedring. The lease rate is at 600$ at the moment with 5k down which makes it very cheap considering that there are no gas costs involved. In LA you get everywhere with 300 miles range. And it even drives really good. It pushes and and has all the gadgets. The only thing that I was missing was the shifting. I am really eager to see the new model. Love the display and its functions ;)

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    I think Jim's right to a large degree. But, what Tesla has to overcome is this: What happens when the newness wears off?

I personally think that Plug in Hybrids are the wave of the future. If electrics were for the mass market, why is the Leaf not flying off the shelves? Full electrics will always be a limited market as long as recharge times are long and range is limited.

The Tesla is sexy and expensive. You will never save money owning one. You own one because you want to.

Can you make enough people pay the premium just because: "they want to". I don't. At some point there's another "hot" item and people move on.

There is no question they have done the best of anyone so far. But, should their cap value challenge GM's after only a few thousand cars being made and delivered? Not likely.

Short. It's only downhill from here for at least a few years. Tesla is new. It hasn't faced a challenge now to its car or reputation. You know it will happen. For a car maker with one model and a limited budget, it could be the kiss of death. I hope not but lets face it, it would be difficult for them to get more positive PR than they are right now.

They're on the peak. The valley is somewhere ahead.

18. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #18 Vinny Bourne, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013

Haha, this guy's story has been known for years, at least by people who are interested in the subject of energy and transportation. Google him

"But the Roadster is also convenient – especially for those of us who live in places with four seasons. I always had to pre-heat my combustion cars; there is nothing more inefficient than starting a cold motor or driving a cold car at maximum speed. But with the Roadster, I plug the car into my home’s outlet – and the Roadster is ready to roll every morning, no matter how cold it is outside. I could zip immediately onto the autobahn and drive 125 miles per hour (200 kph) without worrying about losing efficiency due to a cold engine."

One year. One Roadster. 40,000 miles. | Blog | Tesla Motors

The leaf is UGLY and has a too short range iow's it's a loser.

The Model S is actually cheaper, better looking, more technically advanced, and better performing than its competition, namley the S class, the big beemers, the big Audi's, Caddies, etc............ oh and no gas and no mechanics.

The model X will make a bigger splash than the Model S, and don't forget their history with the roadster. I see a new super sports car within 5 years. Good luck to anyone short under $45 (above might be a different story), must have been NYT's subscribers.

found this;

2013 first-quarter sales for large luxury sedans:

Cadillac XTS: 7,130

Tesla Model S: 4,750

Mercedes-Benz S Class: 3,077

Lexus LS: 2,860

BMW 7-Series: 2,338

Audi A8: 1,462

I see room for growth in this sector as the news I just found in the last 30 mins on charging stations and home options is really expanding. (drive like a little ol lady and get 423 miles on a charge -- http://www.treehugger.com/cars/father-and-son-drive-tesla-model-s-over-400-miles-single-charge-guinness-world-records.html)

19. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    #19 chp, May 24, 2013
    Mr. von Gemmingen's Tesla Roadster has reached about 250,000 km up to now. Battery stayed strong until about 200,000 km. Range dropped to 50% after that. He gets a new one in the near future (ca. 30,000 $), as far as I know.

20. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I thought they were a second choice to a "real car"... until I sat in one. Didn't even drive it, but the engineering and style were second to none. I dare say that anyone who chooses a "BM" or Benz over a Tesla needs to have their head examined.

21. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #21 Vinny Bourne, May 24, 2013
    thanks for the update, here I found more info;

Hansjörg von Gemmingen Roadster pack out of juice?

seems the chemistry and brains have changed in the Model S battery and perhaps other details.

As time goes on prices, tech, and performance of all battery related issues will improve. Already this morning I have seen the fast home charger priced at $450 from Bosch when last I looked they were well over $1,000

My guess is that if it weren't for the fact that battery tech is changing rapidly, Tesla would be building them in-house also. Otherwise why pay companies like panasonic their profit margin for a large piece of the cost pie?

22. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    Tesla S is pretty epic. Musk has accomplished something fairly amazing IMO, and down the road I think he will be seen as the Jobs/Woz of electric cars.

I cant imagine anyone approaching that car objectively coming away less than massively impressed.

23. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    I think the biggest thing Tesla is doing is changing the retail environment. They're building a premium brand people can feel and touch. People are a lot more comfortable walking into one of their retail stores than people were walking into a Fisker dealership. Not everyone who walks into a Tesla store can afford a Tesla, but they won't feel out of place. They're exposed to the car and they've got something to strive for now. I think building a premium product first, and then moving down market is how you build a luxury brand. It's much easier to move down-market than up and you can see it with Lexus versus Acura and Infiniti. They all launched around the same time, but Lexus gunned for the S and the 7 with the LS while Infiniti and Acura were content with the entry-luxury segment and today they're still in that so so happy medium area. Say what you want about Lexus, I don't love them, but many more people see them as a MB, Audi, BMW competitor than the other Japanese luxury brands. Anyway, Tesla is doing it right. They're changing the entire industry, not just vehicle standards and I don't think that their infrastructure is given enough credit for their success(so far).

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1

I was in the Tesla 'shop' in La Jolla a few months back, and it is cool in the way an Apple store is cool. Very premium feel. Whereas going to a Chevy dealer is still a lot like er, well... going to a Chevy dealer.

25. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Certainly you're right.....but, different markets/audiences....
    Chevrolet sells lots more <$40K cars than >$80K cars...
    They're also a hangover from a different era.
    As is their entire marketing program....HUGE DISCOUNTS THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!NO DOWN PAYMENT!!!!!!!0%FINANCING FOR 338 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!OUT OF WORK? GET A NEW CHEVVY!!!!!!!!! and so on.....