Tesla Solar Roof Cost | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tesla Solar Roof Cost

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Innovativethinker, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sorry to hear that. It sounds like inverters failing is the most common issue to come up with solar in general and sounds way too frequent/early in the lifespan of a system. What brand does Tesla use for theirs?

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Anticlimactic ...very nice technician showed up today did diagnostics removed and replaced a box on my roof perhaps half size of a loaf of bread and was in and out in under an hour.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    wax likes this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Do you have one of those hybrid water heaters that use waste heat via heat pump in addition to electricity?

7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No, but that needs to be the next evolutionary step in my overall system.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, let's do some actual math.

Oh, right -- taxpayers get ****ed -- Hooray! The faux-green religion is saving the world.

Only if you would be keeping that $41K in your mattress. Assuming that you could make 3% per year on that $41K (very conservative), and that electricity costs increase by 3% per year (it won't be that much), the actual payback period is a little over 14 years (assuming that you have zero repair/maintenance costs over that time -- good luck with that)...

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Plus don't forget I live in the mountains between Los Gatos and Scotts Valley and don't have LP and ABSOLUTELY need back up power so going the generator route is not feasible for me (smallish house and no room for LP or a generator without a hassle).

Having the battery back up has been amazing.

I love looking at the app and seeing 99% off grid as well during the summer.

Wish the wholesale rate on my sale of excess was better......yesterday I was 99% off grid and gave back 21.3kwh.

January 19th was a Pain in the rear end.....

Attached Files:

losgatos789 likes this.
  11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #36 Steve Magnusson, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    I have no problem with you doing whatever works for you, but I have a HUGE problem with taxpayers getting screwed by the faux-green religion doing things that actually do nothing to reduce civilization's fossil fuel use and CO2 emissions. My post was just to point out that your math for calculating the payback period greatly underestimates the payback time period. Where the cost of transmission is high, it makes sense to have an expensive local small generation system, but it's not like you are isolated in the Northwest Territories. If using Solar PV makes sense, it makes far more sense to do it at scale in large farms rather than everyone owning their own little Solar PV power station.

Bas likes this.
  12. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Have you noticed any difference in the water quality with the ozonater system? I've been thinking about getting one of these for laundry https://o3waterworks.com/products/laundry-system I keep seeing it on Instagram and Facebook with endless comments of its great success. Aqueous ozone however is only supposed to be effective for cold water.

It may be worth looking into a hybrid tank water heater as well. I have a tankless gas unit I just replaced and also swapped the old electric 2007 50 gal tank unit that came with the house with the hybrid electric tank (linked below if interested). I wanted to have redundancy between gas and electric so always have hot water even if power or gas is out. The old 50 gal electric tank unit was drawing 3-6 kWh per day and the new hybrid unit draws less than 1 kWh a day with most days being well below 0.5 kwh. I have mine in the attic (it's a thing in texas apparently) and it operates as a heat pump drawing in the exterior hot air to heat the water and expels cool air. May be worth looking into as a far lower power draw option for at least a zone in the house of hot water.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-ProTerra-50-Gal-10-Year-Hybrid-High-Efficiency-Smart-Tank-Electric-Water-Heater-with-Leak-Detection-Auto-Shutoff-XE50T10HS45U0/312741462

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  13. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Eric,

Are you pumping ground water into a tank? If yes, what time of day are you doing this at? If you have the flexibility, you should consider pumping between midnight and 6AM to get the .11 to .12 cents/kwh charge from the grid; that could reduce your overall grid charges if your forced to use PGE.

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, our well draws into a 3k gallon tank.
    Your strategy is sound especially if/when I didn’t have the use of the PowerWall2 battery packs.

here is yesterday’s chart of just grid usage. The only above baseline is when I took a shower and the hot water heater draws too much for the PowerWall2

Image Unavailable, Please Login

losgatos789 likes this.
  15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Here is what yesterday looked like in total

Generated 41.9kwh
    House used 17.2kwh
    Took 10.6kwh from backup
    Gave 15.1kwh to backup
    Gave the grid my excess 21.3kwh
    Took 1.1kwh from the grid for my shower.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    #41 losgatos789, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    As a comparison for yesterday ...since we live close by:

* produced 40.3 kwhs
    * used 8 kwhs from grid (to charge the Chevy Volt from midnight to 3AM)
    * we typically use about 10 to 15 khrs/day average throughout year ...if AC/Heat not running; like yesterday
    * hvac usage is by far the biggest energy device / variable in our household...more so with the past several years - increasingly higher summer temps and the time windows increasing throughout the year

Hence, heating/cooling was the final item in our house that I could experiment and optimize in order to reduce electricity usage. All the other curious and fun games to reduce power / energy usage has been completed. So....

As an experiment, I installed a 6speed ceiling fan above our staircase. I had been researching and reading about moving heated / cooled air columns from the first floor to second floor and visa versa. The theory is that in the Summer you run the ceiling fan clockwise to pull first floor "cooler" air columns into the second floor to blend and cool the warm/hot air that rose to second floor; Winter time run ceiling fan counter clockwise to push warmed air down to first floor in order to blend and warm "cooler" air.

I started this experiment this past November. I didn't take baseline measurements, but I can definitely say we rarely turned on hvac since November, and we had 34 degree temps this past winter and 98 degree temps 4 weeks ago per the digital thermometer. Once we get to Nov 2021 (a full year of ceiling fan usage), I will run a PGE year over year comparison to get accurate $ and khr usage numbers.

At current course and speed this ceiling fan paid for itself in the first 10 days of this past winter and the overall house temp is MUCH more comfortable as opposed to getting to this same comfort running the hvac system for long period of time.....just another thing to think about as you play the generate/consume optimization game. BTW, we have a two zone hvac system and we feel a material difference for the better without the hvac running and using the ceiling fan (nonstop).

MacNugget likes this.
  17. MyBackHurts

MyBackHurts Rookie

Aug 11, 2021
    Hugely useful post. Thanks for sharing this.

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Tonight I bought a Ford Lightning 2023 Lariat with the 511A big battery option..,,going to have sunrun do the hardware to allow me to power the house with the truck during extended outages…..wish me luck….