Tesla Roadster | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by x z8, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  2. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    No doubt governments are incentivizing a move to EV, but the real move is happening because it is just a better drivertrain and thus a better car.

3. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I agree that looks are important and for that I LOVE the way your Fisker looks. However, you also said that they both passed NHTSA and that is true. However, that is like saying a C- student graduated just like an honor student. The extra weight and space of TWO drivetrains in ONE car is just not good for safety, space, performance and maintenance.

4. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    That's interesting. I did not know that. I will thank all ICE driver's for paying for my road maintenance.

5. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    See this video of Tesla Model S P90D following Porsche on German autobahn:

From the looks of things P90D starts to overheat batteries approximately at 230 kph. As we know, power needed to overcome drag increases in the cube of speed, so we can calculate the point where Tesla Roadster will be having similar problems (if a battery pack capacity is considered as a defining factor).

Battery capacities:
    Model S P90D: 90 kWh
    Roadster: 200 kWh

Battery capacity based speed increase factor = ∛(200/90) = 1.305

230 kph * 1.305 = 300 kph

So unless they figure out how to keep the batteries cool, even the entry level Ferrari Portofino will keep Roadster at bay on autobahns! :)

6. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    There is a new cooling system. The model 3 cooling is different from the prior models as well.

x z8 likes this.
  7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The S isn't designed for high speed use. It's designed for cruising at 75mph, which has a very low sustained power usage and thus low cooling requirements. In addition its not the battery that is first to overheat, its the motor rotor. Keep in mind the S is really a first generation product that is now 5 years old. The roadster will be a completely different design, most likely with a completely different motor, inverter and battery design.

x z8 likes this.
  8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hard to say. i am not trying to refute your logic, but there are no numbers to back it up.
    https://www.vehiclehistory.com/reports/free-reviews-complaints-report/rating-breakdown.php?make=fisker&model=karma&year=2012

btw, there are not 2 drivetrains. there is a generator that powers the motors at the rear wheels. the generator is supplied with power from either the batteries or the batteries plus the ice engine. there is no transmission. the motors are always powered by the generator. the ice engine adds weight, and takes up roughly 2 feet of the length under the hood, so on that score you are correct.

9. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Yes, surely they will improve but Tesla will still have tough time keeping their 400 kph promise. I know Model S is electronically limited to 250 kph, but in reality it wouldn't go much faster anyway. Lets make another calculation how much more power is required to increase the top speed from 250 kph (Tesla Model S) to 400 kph (Roadster).

Power increase requirement = (400 kph / 250 kph)³ = 4.1
    or by using mph values, (250 mph / 155 mph)³ = 4.2

As we can see, they need to deliver four times more power while battery capacity is only doubled.

10. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Except these batteries are a different more advanced version. Additionally, the over heating is only an issue regarding battery longevity. In a performance car the trade offs are different. In other words, Tesla may let run hotter so that cab be tracked competitively.

11. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I stand slightly corrected in the case of your Karma. Although it doesn't have two complete drivetrains it still has more weight and systems than a pure EV. I don't even think a golfbag would fit in the trunk of a Karma. And the center console begins at the dashboard and extends all the way to the back seat and I believe it was almost chest high. I felt very claustrophobic when I sat in the rear. In general, it's fairly straightforward that any time you add multiple ways of powering a car it just adds complexity and unnecessary weight, space, moving parts, etc. With Tesla coming out with 600+ mile range I don't see any need for a second drive mechanism.

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the center console is no higher than in the rapide or the aventador or the sls gullwing, relative to the driver.
    i know what you mean about claustrophobic feelings since i had them in the sls, but that had more to do with the closeness of the front and rear windscreens.
    the karma feels snug, but airy enough since it has the back seats. the feel is roughly akin to a rapide overall.

13. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Just listen to the 911 !!!

14. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Looks like it could do with a flat 6 to me .........

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    jerryz, i just went out for an errand and the console is at my elbow, just like my mercedes CL. so either you are an exceptionally small person, or your memory is slightly faded :) anyway, fyi.

16. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I should have clarified. I was speaking about the rear seat center console. I believe it's where the battery is? . It has been several years but seemed to me it was VERY high.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the rear center console might be (or seem) a little higher since the rear seat bottom is lower in order to provide enough headroom given the sloping roof.
    the batteries run from the firewall to the trunk wall. basically where the transmission tunnel is in a normal car.

18. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    It has already been stated a couple of times in this thread - the roadster will have different batteries and cooling system.

19. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Of course. But as a design challenge, this is comparable with changing your ICE power output from 250 bhp to 1000 bhp. It wasn't particularly easy task to get the cooling right on Bugattti Veyron either.

20. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    Agreed. We'll just have to wait and see how good of a job they can do.

21. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Tesla Model S Plaid just lapped Laguna Seca in 1:30!!!!!! Making it faster than any production Ferrari EVER! This is a 5,000 pound 5 seat luxury car. I really can't wait to see what the Roadster will do.

Dom and JCaspar like this.
  22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    JERRYZ likes this.
  23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Elon has now confirmed the SpaceX package for the Roadster will move the car 0-60 in 1 second!!!!! On it's own that is astounding but when we see how the compressed air aids handling and braking I know we will all have a new definition of what makes a car. This car won't compete with a true racecar on the track and it won't have old school passion characteristics but it will show us the future is now. It's just a matter of how soon you choose to adopt. We ALL have to do it eventually......unless you're the type that doesn't use a smartphone.

24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I loved my Tesla Model S Plaid but we all know Elon likes to overpromise and under deliver.

25. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.