Tesla Roadster | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by x z8, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Go to 1:50 and see what this car can do!

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Keep in mind that it's AWD... huge difference.

3. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    Do you have a source for that 5,000 number, or is it just something you're making up?

Based on the latest battery tech they are estimating the car should be about the same weight as a GTR, so roughly 4,000 lbs: https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-battery-researcher-told-us-about-the-tesla-1820558723

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Tesla has a few problems. Firstly, they haven't been able to commoditize the technology, nor do they have the scale to do so. Sure, they sell a lot of $100k+ EV's, but that's a long way from a $40k model. GM is headed in the right direction of mass production with the Bolt. 17,000 of them vs 400 Model 3's.

Also, the mass market of buyers aren't going to be happy with a low quality vehicle. If the Model 3 has the same awful build quality and non-existent QC that the S and X have, then that's it for Tesla as a major player in the EV game.

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I have not follows tesla per say as I have 0 particular interest for that company. To me they build toasters. But for what I read on them in general you are probably right. I think my toughts was more general toward the car technology move. If tesla does not solve the problem, someone else will. Musk is a visionary, for good or bad and does not appears to be a logicician or shows any interests in operational efficencies

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Seems like Tesla is already starting to get tagged with a bit of a Yugo reputation.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wonder how well it stops with all that weight.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You guys really need to go drive a Tesla, so much ignorance in this thread. Not only does the car put eyeballs in back of head acceleration, they then fly back out front of your sockets without even touching the brake pedal.

JERRYZ and x z8 like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Build quality on the 2017 S is perfect, I'm sure it took some time to get there from sounds of it though. At least they got it right and hopefully that's reproducible the other models.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That must be from the regenerative braking. In fact that does make sense.

JERRYZ likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ok i drive an i3 and drove several teslas and they are nice and the future is commuting.
    That being said i disagree about the build quality. It is nice but its not 100k nice not mercedes nice not even close.
    I personally miss the sound and the cornering ability of german cars but thats just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    The quality/ build problems are only early in production- Essentailly bug tested by the customers. Not great. And they do get the bugs out. There are many customers thrilled with the quality- after Tesla gets it down.

Interestingly, most traditional car guys don’t get “it”. It being the physics/ dynamics of a heavy car that has the offsetting benefits of an extremely low center of gravity and the precise control of power to each wheel for cornering/ handling. These issues are over my head- yet I do know the game has changed and we cannot apply the same rules.

Tesla has also turned the problem of charging into a benefit- at 600+ miles on a charge- getting gas is now the inconvenience.

I don’t expect to be more entertained in a Roadster than my 458. And who knows.

The future is clear. ICE is going the way of the buggy whip. And, I will keep my favorite classics for the pleasures they provide while looking forward to the new pleasures that await me.

And I’m glad I skipped the whole turbo charging phase- outside of my appliance SUV (twin turbo charged X5/ Macan).

If you are a purist how far do you go back in time to be pure?

JERRYZ likes this.
  13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FWIW, I spent couple of days with a new Model X P100D. After driving it for a few days and getting back into my BMW, it was like going from an iPhone to a flip phone. Their approach and execution is just on a whole other level. Regarding performance, this car was capable of 0-60 in under 3 seconds, but that was only part of the story. Its 40-70 acceleration was ungodly. It felt every bit as fast as my old McLaren 12c, and this behemoth weighed well over 5K lbs! As for build quality, this particular example was very well put together, the interior materials were at least on par with its german counterparts. In short, I loved the car and was seriously considering buying it... then Musk had that event with the Semi and the roadster and I got really turned off. He has serious ADD. The Model 3 needs to reach its production numbers or the company is going to cease to exist and he is is talking about a fricken Roadster! BTW, the roadster makes over 7,000lbs of torque. That is NOT A typo. Who is going to design a metal chassis capable of handling that kind of number on a daily basis without bending in half...oh, and it has to handle, turn, and meet safety standards. Its one thing to do 0-60 in a controlled environment, but the R&D necessary to launch this car on an international scale will cost money that, frankly, Tesla doesn't have. If the Model 3 succeeds, Tesla is the car company of the future, if it fails, its another Fisker 1.0. Musk needs to bag up the showmanship for a little while and be laser focused on the Model 3 right now.

BTW, the Tesla Model 3 is amazing according to most everyone who has driven one... so don't count it out.

And to those who criticize the cars themselves---DRIVE ONE FIRST!!!

14. Natkingcolebasket69

I think now its too big to fail and too good. Its not fisker or delorean.
    My only concern for them is when mercedes,bmw & the other giants really get in the game...how will tesla cope? Tesla is not as powerful as those guys and their cost and production lines are pretty long...
    As far as build quality its okay , its nice even but i went to a range rover velar this weekend which costs 60k and was miles nicer...like way nicer..:

15. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Build quality can refer to how it is put together as compared to the quality of the materials.

As far as the quality of the materials- you are correct, there is no comparison. The harder part, is getting the electric technology right. Which they have. Upgrading the interior can come later- that’s the easy part.

Early Porsche’s/ Ferrari’s etc. had cheap parts and or spartan interiors. These companies have continually over time upgraded their interiors.

Regardless, the specs are a bargain- if it had it all- this would be a 1- 2 million dollar car.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed!

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I hope you are right regarding Tesla. I'm not too concerned about Tesla vs. the Competition. I believe what separates Tesla, is not just the fact that their cars are electric. Its the way you interface with them. The Tesla operates like giant Apple product. Its so intuitive, creative and refreshing. For car companies to really compete with Tesla they would have to start thinking more like a software company and less like a car company...that is probably easier said then done. Exhibit A is the Chevy Bolt.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i said this in one of the (many) other threads on this car, but if it uses some kind of regen mode, like my fisker, then the braking could be fantastic.
    the fisker goes from 60-0 in 110 feet for example, and it weighs 5300 pounds !

19. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It is the stopping and handling at the stated top speed that Hits the pause button for me.

With electric motors you can make them go as fast as you want.

It’s all the rest that worries me. Frame, suspension parts, tires, brakes, etc.

Things get dicy above 200, what works sub 185 is different

Would love see it run the ring for a day, and hit the salt flats for top speed. That would convince me.

20. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Yes, and when you have confirmation of that the car will have a 3- 5 year back log and be trading for hundreds of thousands over sticker.

21. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As I said earlier, the car makes over 7,000lbs of torque too. Making a performance car capable of handling that kind of power, a top speed we'll above 200mph, and still be able to turn, that would give just about any exotic car company fits. I don't know how they make a chassis capable of handling that kind of power without resorting to exotic materials or at a price point near the claimed $250K

22. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I'm thinking Tesla doesn't know, either.

23. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Is any Tesla worth that much now?

If Mercedes, Mac or Ferrari came out with a similar speced car which would you buy?

24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Someone at Tesla is a bad typist or bad at math.

25. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

I think Tesla is going to be around for a long, long time. And those numbers will make it the sports car of the future. No ICE car will compare or compete with the performance. Pretty amazing and if its produced, it should be a real game changer.