Tesla Roadster | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by x z8, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KappaJack

KappaJack Rookie

Jun 28, 2017
    This is a forum for Ferrari's and not one about our financial positions/beliefs-- short or long. As it relates to Ferrari's, whatever the competition creates cannot reduce the intangibles that make Ferrari cars great! I love my 458!

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    6,000 lb projectile traveling at 250 mph on what tires? I can’t imagine trying to turn something that heavy at that speed with any tire. Size of brakes needed?

3. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    So better to be on the Tesla forums?

Ash Patel likes this.
  4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It has already been proven when taking into account all the factors to make and dispose of the batteries for electric cars that they are actually worse for the environment than gas vehicles.

5. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Battery 1800 lbs?

“So that big battery pack with all of its cells could be a key enabler to get more power to those motors, which means better acceleration and a higher top speed. Of course, weight is also a factor, and on that front, Viswanathan told me his team at Carnegie Mellon uses 240 watt-hour per kilogram as the assumption for specific energy on the most modern battery cells. Considering the new Roadster’s battery pack capacity claim of 200 kWh, this translates to a battery weight of 833 kg, or roughly 1,800 pounds.”

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-battery-researcher-told-us-about-the-tesla-1820558723

So much hate here. :)

6. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I find it surprising how many people are so concerned about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. You can get some really nice cars for $250k. Why would anyone buy this other than for boy racer bragging rights? It’s really kind of pathetic, like these guys....

inox likes this.
  7. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    As a former owner of a 355 Spider and a 430 Spider I'm curious about Ferrarista's opinion of the new Tesla Roadster? The performance is off the charts and finally proves that an electric drivetrain cannot be matched. The only complaint I can imagine is the lack of an exhaust note. My feeling is exhaust noise is a relic of an ancient technology. If you miss it you probably still crave chromed wheels and a Blackberry cell phone.

8. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I think it’s really pathetic to be threatened by this. Not that you are- of course.

At some point these e cars will outperform ICE cars on EVERY performance matrix. When? Maybe this model, maybe not. The day is coming. It’s inevitable.

Will these new vehicles ever provide the same level of satisfaction? I don’t know but I want to find out.

Fear = anger = pathetic. :)

JERRYZ and Jaguar36 like this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I still think a hybrid car can outperform a pure ICE or pure electric if the requirement is the energy storage has to be part of the car (i.e. not like an electric train that pulls energy from the overhead lines). If/when we can have highways with connection to the grid for electricity, those cars will be too fast for a human to sustain imo if not limited.

You can get an ICE with thermal efficiency near 50% such as a diesel engine and rather than use a gearbox and differentials, have it attached to a generator to create electricity to run the motors like a diesel-electric train. Diesel fuel has a higher specific energy than a battery and you'll still weigh less adding on the diesel engine and generator than the battery alone (100-200kwh).

I'd love to make a pickup truck like that.

10. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    I paid the initial deposit (non-founder's version) within about a minute of the orders opening up. Worst case I wait for the people that ordered the founder's version to do their reviews and if it doesn't still look amazing, I'll just cancel mine. I'm quite excited for the car overall. I don't really care if it isn't an amazing track car, just something to have fun in.

JERRYZ, Jaguar36 and x z8 like this.
  11. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    The race driver that was giving all the test rides after the event mentioned that it has essentially the same brakes as the La Ferrari does. Just what he said, so take it with a grain of salt.

12. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    What time did the orders open up? I placed my order a little after 8AM EST.

13. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    Right after the unveiling was over. And... Image Unavailable, Please Login

JERRYZ likes this.
  14. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I think bashing the electric technology or Musk is misguided. This technology will succeed just like the computer or phone technology. It is only math problems to be solved and trust me, they will be.

The real issue, that I have myself, is philosophical. Teslas, despite the 1.9sec or whatever, are just big computers with wheels. They are transportation vehicles that will be soon fully automated like a bus. Like computers, these vehicles will get obsolete fast and will require a complete electronics upgrade every 7 years. I hope they are designed to take full upgrades. In 15-20 years you won’t find an all "original" 2018 Tesla that runs. Resale value may die quickly after 7-10 years.

The 0-60 numbers are just that, numbers. The experience of sound, speed and smell are unique to the combustion engine. A Tesla will never match that and how many time can you do 1.9 before you get bored? how many time can you take the same roller coster before you have enough. Always the same. All electric car will be the same. That technology leaves no room for diverse behaviors like Ferraris, lamborghinis Porsche, etc.. This is basic trasnportation that will become shareable in time at the individual level and replace buses.

That said and until government admits that the increasing dying batteries will overrun landfills and pose a serious health hazard, electric cars will be in and pushed hard to displace fossil fuel. In our societies, unfortunately it is always an all or nothing and balance approaches seem to repel all but the reasonable minority.
    I can see that in the cities, I can see that in commercial transportation but diversity should be kept and respected elsewhere.

At the end it will be acceptance of the population of electric cars. Face it, everyone love exotics but all are conditioned to think they will never have one or do not have the drive to have one. Most will be happy having a battery with computer drive them around in total silence. We are a dying minority, like it or not. Our grandchildren will like never drive a real car just like most of us never rod a horse in the wild.

MalcQV and Pesto like this.
  15. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    An interesting post I copied from Rennlist

“Having owned two Model S cars (2013 P85 and 2015 P85D) and a Model X 90D, I agree that many here are underestimating the capabilities and fun factor of these cars.

I first drove a Model S in 2013, fully expecting to hate the car. No shifting my own gears? No sound? Heavy as a truck? No way. I'd spend the last 10 years instructing at HPDEs and racing with the SCCA. "I'm a car guy, not an iPhone-on-wheels-guy!" It took me 60 seconds into the test drive to realize just how wrong I was.

Nearly 5 years later, I've *just* re-entered the ICE world. Primarily thanks to my personal finances, combined with my love for hanging the tail out (which isn't possible in a P85D) and a dash of engine note FOMO, I now have a GT4 in the garage and a GT3 on the way. I will say, however, that I never got bored of the P85D's kick in a straight line, grip coming out of corners, relative poise on twisty roads, or ability to transport the family in style.

Perhaps some of you would get bored after a few miles. Perhaps you also have souls that are more difficult to penetrate than mine. [​IMG] Either way, Tesla has a unique and amazing offering, and I think it'd be a grave mistake to dismiss the new roadster off hand until you've tried it for yourself. Looking forward to seeing the discussion re-start in 2021 [​IMG]

Cheers,

Kevin”

16. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    And this regarding weight and handling...

“Keep in mind that added mass increases both lateral load from cornering and vertical weight load (which increases grip), so it largely cancels. And if you lower the CG, the transfer of lateral load due to cornering decreases, so you wind up using the grip of the four tires more effectively (since the relationship between grip and vertical load is nonlinear). Lower CG also improves braking because there's less forward transfer of weight during deceleration, so again the tires can be used more efficiently for braking grip.

Added mass will reduce acceleration, but you can compensate by adding power/torque. The other main downside of added mass is putting more demand on the brakes from a heat standpoint, but that tends to not be a big issue for road use. Added mass will also increase energy/fuel consumption, but we don't tend to worry about fuel efficiency with our sports cars.”

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    re the braking, if this tesla is anything like my fisker, the braking is helped enormously by the regen modes.
    if i have my car in the top regen mode, i hardly ever touch the brakes because as soon as i am not pushing the accelerator pedal, the car slows significantly as the momentum energy gets converted back into battery power.

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Bigger question is will you ever take delivery of this car.

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Do brake lights come on w/ full (or any) regen and no brakes?

20. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Im a huge Elon Musk fan. I know when he puts his mind on something he succeeds. But these numbers dont much up. Do you know how much rubber you need on the ground to get 1.9seconds to 100km/h. I would be surprised if its possible with street tires to get those numbers. I know the power could be possible with Electric Motors and I do believe that is the long term future. But to create a car for just drag racing is also something Ferrari or other manufactures dont focused on either. Its handling around a track.

I think its great what he has done. He will push the mark. But a manufacture like Ferrari will always have the experience edge.

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there are a dozen threads on this subject across the site. have a look

22. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Zakeen, the numbers are real. You don't need a ton of rubber when you have ELECTRONIC traction control. Each wheel is managed instantly in a Tesla vs. MECHANICAL TC in every other car. Major difference. It's a big part of the reason that a Model S luxury sedan can go 2.3 seconds 0 - 60.

x z8 likes this.
  23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    ross - I scanned for a post about this subject and didn't find on in this section. Are you referring to the brand new Tesla Roadster? Or to previous Tesla threads?

24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you know i was asking myself the same question this morning. and i have not yet figured it out. will revert

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    He is referring to the new Tesla that does 0-60 in 1.9 seconds !This is F1 territory, and the friggin car comes in near 5,000 pounds !