Tesla Model S Thoughts... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Tesla Model S Thoughts...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Corsair66, Oct 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    If you are suffering from the range problems, you can always trade in on a Baker

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Notice they are all ladies in the advertisement. Women drove the market for refinement. Men wanted a car that was mechanical and made noise.

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed just did sf-las vegas at 80mph average on 1 tank with a s550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    That looks like a really cheap prototype, if you look closely at the details.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I.T. Guy and vinuneuro like this.
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't have the numbers in front of me. I did the math a few years ago, and it was very cheap... but then I live in an area with pretty cheap power (everything is hydro around here). I couldn't really see it in my electric bill, but I do have a pretty big house, with some high powered appliances. Closer to $2.50 than $27, for sure.

6. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #81 Logical1, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Have had a Tesla P85 for 3 years and 40k miles. Same time had a F430 , and a 458 Italia. Before that multiple Porsches. Without a shred of doubt the Tesla is the best car I've ever owned. No comparison. I love the looks of the Ferraris and I enjoy the weekend drives and social side. But the Tesla is much quicker, much much more fun at relevant speeds, and only requires 17 moving parts (two of which are the windshield wipers) not the thousand perfectly machined parts that have to be maintained to keep a Ferrari running. The Ferrari is very cool old tech with a great racing heritage that still impresses the middle of the bell curve. Fun now and then but definitely not the future of performance.

rob lay, Jaguar36 and tbakowsky like this.
  7. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    They are obviously great cars, Teslas have replaced the Mercedes, BMW and Audis in the foothils Denver community I live in for daily drivers, the only thing more plentiful in our neighbohood are Toyota and Jeep SUVs.

8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    What is 'really cold'? I'm suspicious of it's cold weather operation when an Oregonian talks of cold weather. How about the days when it starts at -20F and gets to 0F? Or 0F to 15F? Nope, the 1st doesn't happen too often, but it DOES happen; the 2nd is pretty regular.......which makes it a niche car that doesn't work for many.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I guess it depends on what your mission is. Very cold temperatures will certainly degrade the range, so if your mission involves 200 mile trips in those conditions, then a Model S might not be the right vehicle for you.

For running around town and doing trips of 100 miles or less, it's fantastic-- you can preheat the cabin from the app, which makes driving in those conditions much more pleasant.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Wish you could educate that guy Jerryz on that other thread.
    You are actually making sense and acknowledge pros and cons of the tesla which all cars have and do.
    One thing that i Don’t personally enjoy about tesla is that i dont feel unique driving it. They all look the same and the interior quality which is certainly worthy of its price tag.

That being said it is a great car but i did find mine to be a kale juice of driving whilst my ferrari is more like champagne, festive, it talks to me and in the twisties ;))) its heaven...

For commuting i have now my i3 but if it was up to me and no traffic id take my s550 everyday; even when i had a tesla i found the ride a bit harsh to me.

rob lay likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know about Jerry, he's certainly passionate about the car and does have a Ferrari background, it isn't like he's posting lies, but the way he posts just turns everyone against him. I think most of the problem is people ganging up on him and then Jerry going into defensive fight mode, just like a Democrat in the P&R here. :D You have to expect that on a FERRARI board, I found myself slipping myself as users were posting the most ignorant stuff. When you play with the pigs you get dirty yourself. I think the Ferrari and ICE people are a little bit ignorant and a lot bit scared. Certainly it won't help fighting with them or yelling back, Keep Calm & Carry On should be the best approach as the debate is near P&R irrationality. The writing is on the wall and the trend is pretty certain, but we're not going there overnight and the debate in meantime is pretty much spinning your wheels.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed;)
    And u know another thing/reason why people buy ferrari is nostalgia.
    For instance i didn’t buy a TR for speed although it is capable of it. I bought it as a childhood dream and that’s an element that will last a long time i think in favor of Ferrari’s etc.
    I think down the line Ferrari will produce perfectly fast EV’s too. They just are getting there in steps, strategically maybe even?;)

rob lay likes this.
  13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I can't speak for all but I'm sure a good portion. I'm not the least bit scared about EV's, I am curious and will have one well before I have to (2040 here) but I know I won't enjoy it anything like my Ferrari or the Alfa. I know that because whilst I like my mostly silent smooth Merc I don't enjoy it anything like the other two. Despite acceleration being quick for EV's I gave up traffic light grand prix's in the 1980's. So I am disappointed with what will become of ICE's but certainly not scared.

No nostalgia for me. I didn't even like them as kid and in fact until about 20 years ago wasn't the slightest bit interested at all.
    I hope that whatever Ferrari do they at least produce a hybrid. To quote the man himself "I don't sell cars, I sell engines". Though I'm sure he said it in Italian. Electric motors don't really fit that quote. I think a pure EV Ferrari really misses what they are about.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so here is some info on battery charge and decrease in performance. this real world test 0-60...

100% 2.5 sec
    50% 2.7 sec
    25% 2.8 sec
    10% 3.9 sec (not allowed full power or Ludicrous).

15. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If I could get over Tesla’s styling I’d have one already.

If I could get over my fear of owning a Karma I’d have one already.

This calls for an old school engine, er, motor swap!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    fear is for ******* ! ;)
    it depends on how much money you want to spend.
    i am a cheap bastard so taking my chances on a fisker was part of the challenge. if you educate yourself on the risks, the foibles, the repair centers near you, talk to some of the techs etc, and then go out and see what you find, you will likely end up ok.
    if that kind of risk is too much for you, and your budget stretches to $135k, then you can get a karma revero and have the warranty protect you.

i am also willing to walk you through the process if you like. just contact me whenever you like.