Tesla Model S Thoughts... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Tesla Model S Thoughts...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Corsair66, Oct 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not so..think about all the refining that must be done just to produce and run an ice engine. Think about all those fluids that must be manufactured and the wast produced. Think about just the exhaust system which is completey eliminated in an electric car. Think about the platinum and iridium which are needed in a catalytic coverter. Think about how many systems are completely eliminated in the manufacturing of an ice car vs and electrc. The entire chain must be looked at. Not just what comes out of the "tail pipe"

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Fully agree with u! I have a s 550 coupe and thats 140k and when I stepped in a tesla at over $100k i am questionning their quality.
    However they are cool and if u are in the bay area or in a heavy traffic zones they are worth being ur commuter cars.
    I personally have a bmw i3 for my commute, wife has a s550 coupe and my toys are a cl65 and my beloved testarossa;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corsair66 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

I would agree with most of ur assesment however compared to a same price mercedes the inside of a tesla is simply not up to par.

Corsair66 likes this.
  4. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Don’t have the data on that, but wouldn’t be so sure. The process to build and transport the batteries is in itself quite polluting as well (believe there was an article on that when the Prius first came out). Also, we still need coal, oil, gas etc to be burnt to generate electricity - so the process of generating combustibles is still needed in one way or the other

Again - not against electrical vehicles at all, and once all goes solar, then the argument doesn’t make sense anymore.

My only point is that there is a lot of misinformation out there. If today we switched all cars to be Teslas, it would be massively detrimental for the environment - just because of the world energy matrix. When on the road (again. Don’t have the data for whole manufacturing process), a Tesla actually pollutes significantly more than most traditional small/family cars

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    This is highly dependent on where you are. Where I am, in the Northeast US the emissions from the electricity produced for the Tesla are about half what the family car we would have gotten instead would have produced from its tail pipe. Regardless if you are concerned about such things, just get solar panels installed and then it puts out no emissions at all!

Sure, but compared to a similarly priced Mercedes, the Tesla is much quicker (particularly from 50-70mph), handles better, has a much, much better navigation system, and has vastly superior autopilot. Its a compromise, like everything else.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Disagree have u driven a s550 coupe? Im comparing to this bc a model s 100 costs over 100k
    Handles are miles better, pricing is similar with a top of the line model s, and the autopilot currently available in california is exactly the same. Not to mention the interior..
    Now off the line yes the tesla is better and has a nicer navigation but teslas are not cheap.
    That being said they are a remarkable achievement and are the future of commuting...
    I do think that tesla will be in danger when the big ones decide to put the hammer down in that space.

7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    There are several Teslas in the neighborhood, talking with the drivers, if they travel 60 miles away, they all say they have lunch while charging to get back. I know what is published, and I also know what the drivers are saying. Maybe they don't fully charge at home, maybe they use the A/C, or drive faster that the speed limit. For now, I really don't want to tie up 45 minutes sitting in a car to charge on a day trip to San Diego.

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I️ have the P85.

I️ can go 180 miles at a 90% charge going 85mph on the freeway. No restrictions on heating or cooling.

No babying.

69k miles on the car now.

Maybe your friends only have a 70kwh car.

Kai

Jaguar36 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I've had my RWD S85 for almost 4 years and my sister and my parents both live ~100 miles away. I go there in the winter, in the snow, in the summer, full car, above the speed limit and never had to charge to get home. If you're really worried, the 100D has 25% more range than that.

They may have lunch while its charging because its free to do so.

10. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    There is no point in denying the Tesla's are short range cars.

The diesel Jaguar XJ's, BMW 7 series, Merecedes S Class with the diesel engines (which I loathe) have 600 mile range and after that you can fill them up in 5 minutes. And you rarely see a petrol luxury car in my part of the world.

11. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Tesla's are good commuter, city and short journey cars. This is part of the reason for the market failure of the technology first time around after a period of commercial success / popularity.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm sure a lot of people here already know about this car, but this Lucid Air electric car is more targeted at the luxury segment unlike Tesla. This is an old video that I just now remembered to post here:

ypsilon likes this.
  13. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Yes, but that car is still 2 years away. Who knows what Porsche/Mission e will deliver in 2019 as well
    That if Lucid continues to secure funding (which I hope so, as the car looks amazing)

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's what the Tesla should have looked like... interior AND exterior...

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's simply absurd. I do a 160 mile round trip regularly in my S without charging. And mine is just an 85... and that trip involves going back and forth over a small mountain range. Using A/C requires very little energy... heat is really the issue, but mine will do the 160 mile trip even in cold weather.

Kaivball likes this.
  16. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Keep in mind that they do drive when the they arrive, so maybe another 30 miles?

Maybe they want to keep it half full?

Don’t know but three differences friends have said the same thing.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Maybe they're just super conservative or don't know any better? I don't know, but both Model S 85s that I have had would do 200 miles easily, even with the heat on. The 90 and 100 should do even better. For a 160 mile trip, I don't even bother to charge it all the way to 100% before I leave, unless it's really cold.

Now, I will say that if they have a charger at their destination, then sure, why not plug it in. And if there is a supercharger along the way with a Starbucks next to it (as almost all of them are), then why not let Elon pay for the electricity on the trip while you wake up with some espresso? But that's different than claiming that it can't do it.

18. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I spoke with one of them today. I guess not everyone charges at home, and in his case, and he spent 150k+, his 34 mile trip up to big bear lake with lights, heater, and heated seats burns through half his charge. I would imagine going up the mountains would drain them faster. I’m just the messenger here.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jennie has the 90D and we can easily to 220 mile round trip with no charge. Anyone with a Tesla should have a 240 at home, ours cost like $100 to put in. You can also carry a 110 adapter in trunk. When on highways there is a decent public supercharge network, but there is awesome and complete user network (uber like app for people willing to let you charge). if your main argument against Tesla is lack of range you are grasping at straws. None of our gas cars have a longer range than the Tesla.

20. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Couldn't disagree more. While I don't like the diesels engines, when you fill the tank on a 7 series, XJ or S Class you have between 550 and 600 miles real range. 95% of them are diesel here, at least - probably 99%.

A real world situation is drive 275 miles, have 3 meetings, each a further 20 mile round trip, require the car for dinner, back to hotel, and require the car at 7am for 275 mile return journey. This sort of journey is pretty common.

I also fail to see the enthusiasm for having lunch at supercharger stations. I must have stopped at every hotel along the main arterial routes in my country for a bite to eat, at a time that suits, if its a nice place, but I could never get excited about the motorway services in the UK, especially not having to build your journey round them while you wait for an absolute age, perhaps not a time you want to eat.

220 miles is still a short range car, a local car. I accept it has many advantages when used in that regard, but they are not a fully rounded car in comparison.

The Tesla's are more akin to the everyday cars, than your Ferrari and Maserati ?, which regardless can be filled up in 5 minutes.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    who in the heck drives 8 hours at a time! my bladder is 3 hours on a good day. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, who knows. I take my Model S skiing all the time in the winter, which is about a 140 mile round trip... no problems. And I run the lights, heater, heated seats (which are actually way more efficient than the heater, by the way),etc, and generally drive 75.

But if that's his experience, that's his experience, I guess. No point in debating about it or arguing. Very odd, though.

23. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Rob & Donv- how many kw/h on your home chargers to charge your Tcars to 100%?
    ($2.50/charge? $27.00/charge? More? Less?
    TIA

24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  25. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Maybe they should figure out how to produce the 3 first...

Kai