Temporary importation of a car to Egypt | FerrariChat

Temporary importation of a car to Egypt

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by OKA, Nov 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OKA

OKA Karting

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm going to be spending a few months in Egypt. I am going to be bringing a car with me. Not sure what I am taking, but I think an X5 or an H2. Does anyone know the procedure of importing a car as a tourist?

2. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    you can bring in a car for a duration of 6 months at a time. 6 in 6 out provided you have a non-egyptian passport and have a relatively fresh entry stamp from any port of entry.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 AceMaster, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    Contact Tarek (FChat ID is Tarek K.), he lives there and should be of assistance.

4. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    No problem to keep the car in Egypt for a period of 6 months, after that the car has to leave the country or go into storage in the free zone for another period of 6 months.
    It's a simple process, just let me know when you ship the car and to which port in Egypt and I will put you in contact with the proper person who will clear it for you.

5. OKA

OKA Karting

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Tarek I have a few questions.

Do you know if a " Carnet de Passages en Douane " which is also called a Triptique is required? It's an international "passport" for cars issued by home country, kind of like an international drivers permit. But the only thing for Egypt, one has to put up 818% of the car's value as a guaranty to get that document issued.

Is it easier to come through the ferry from Jordan with the car as opposed to shipping the car into Egypt?

Thank you everyone for the replies.

6. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    if you are holding a foreign passport, you might find it easier arriving by car from jordan.
    alexandria is much more of a hassle as they deal with loads of cars.

you will need to issue a carnet de passage through an automobile club in egypt and they require a security deposit. not 818% though. more in the region of 100% of taxed value of the vehicle.

7. OKA

OKA Karting

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks Intouch1,

I have been reading up on it and I found the only place to get Carnet de Passages issued in North American is through the Canadian Auto Club. There site states 800% for Egypt and 18% Canadian taxes to issue it.
    http://www.caa.ca/travel/travel-carnet-insurers-indemnity-table-e.cfm

Wow 100% is still a hefty sum to carry around. I just picked up a 2005 BMW X5 3.0 for the trip.

I am Iraqi-American, It's going to be a US registered car and I have a US passport also.

So I can get the Carnet de Passages issued at the Egyptian border?

8. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Yes

9. FarFerDriver

FarFerDriver Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    You should be able to get in without too much trouble if it's temp status. One thing I would recommend is working with a company that is experienced. It's bad enough when you have issues with someone shipping a vehicle for you, it's even worse if there's import taxes and foreign laws involved. I know A-1 Auto Transport delivers in that area so you might try them, but I would contact a couple options before making a decision. And by all means, call them on the phone and talk to somebody, don't use the online free quote forms. You need to see if they are competent and experienced! Best of luck.