Tell me about these watches.... | FerrariChat

Tell me about these watches....

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by SCKOMS, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    #1 SCKOMS, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    My FIL recently passed away. He was estranged from his family so we are slowly sifting through belongings. Among them are these 2 watches, a Bulova and an Omega Constellation. Both watches run when wound. Both have "stretchable" Speidel bracelets which seems odd. There was also a clearly fake Rolex Day Date. So the questions are:
    Are these authentic?
    If they are, any idea on value?
    Any suggestions of where to get an appraisal in the Chicago area?
    Thanks in advance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my Galaxy

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sorry for your loss. My father wore a Constellation for 40 years so my first "Good" watch was a Constellation too. My older brother wears his now. :)

Authenticate at a dealer, if they will do it without sending it to Omega but these are worth sentimental value, I'm afraid.

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Both look real to me.

If you want to sell, PM me. I have my grandfather's Bulova in the original box with the original band (a Spidel). I love that watch.

4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Have you taken the backs off the watches. From first look, the Bulova looks real. As I look closer at the Omega, the gray area on the face seems to be unevenly painted--the borders of the gray are irregular and not a true circle. If you take some photos of the inside, or if you can get a dealer to tell me it is authentic, I'll make you an offer.

Do the watches run? What type of movement do they appear to have?

TWK likes this.
  5. TWK

TWK Karting

Jul 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Tom
    dial on the constellation looks unusual. almost like the inside portion has been cut out or refinished with part of a later dial. case and case back look ok, so maybe just a modified dial?

6. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    The "L1" marking on the Bulova identifies it as a 1951. It looks original and typical of the period; can't tell about the crystal from the picture, though. With that arrangement of hands/features my guess would be 21 jewels. Bulovas of that era are good, reliable watches.

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    #8 SCKOMS, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I opened the back and took some photos. I wound the watches and they run. I hear the classic tick, tick, tick and the second hand moves to the same rhythm. I'll see how well they keep time over the next couple of days. I'm no expert but they look authentic to me....what say you?

Sent from my Galaxy

Attached Files:

8. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Got the back open....I didn't know Rolex were made in Hong Kong and battery operated LOL!
    Sent from my Galaxy

MK1044 and TWK like this.
  10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Rolex never made a two tone Day-Date. Fake.

11. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    The Bulova looks complete and genuine. I can't tell from the photo down to details like screws or specific parts, but if it is running well, that's what counts. The movement is either a 10BH or 10BM -- you'll be able to read it, I can't tell from the pictures. I think they are very similar. For 1952, with those functions, I was expecting 21 jewels; it looks like 17 -- I don't know whether they had multiple versions or if one is older and one newer, or if I am off in my understanding. There is a possibility it is an older (by a few years - late'40s?) movement in a newer (1952) watch, but I am no expert (just an enthusiast). In any regard, it's a good watch from a time when Bulova was a world leader in mass-produced watches. You can wear it regularly, it should be reliable and not need much, and if you do need parts there are a lot of NOS parts and spare movements for parts available.