Tell me about North Carolina | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Tell me about North Carolina

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by PeterS, Sep 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You'd think a diver would know about the gulf stream.. ahahha Love ya Juan!

2. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Wanted to see if anything had changed since this thread was started and last updated.

I have an opportunity in Raleigh for a 1 year reoccurring contract. Currently live near Portland OR, and am trying to decide on a strategy.

3. BMWManiac

BMWManiac Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Aberdeen, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I ended up living in Raeford, NC for just a year, then moving to Aberdeen, MD. I will say that the area is indeed beautiful. The weather is great, with pollen having 2 x weeks of a dump, and then nothing. Access to the I-95 corridor is pretty easy.

What I didn't like about NC: when registering your car, you have a year until you need to get the car inspected/emissions tested. May not be a big deal to you, but I had 2 x cars that didn't have catalytic converters and 1 x car that didn't have the stock ECU (megasquirt standalone). NC also has state taxes.

Other than that, cost of living is relative to where you live, but it wasn't bad in my area. Overall, I enjoyed living there and now getting my MBA from UNC's Kenan-Flagler business school...Go Heels!

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Come on over!! There is a pretty active Ferrari Club and lots to do and see in NC. I am about an hour outside of Raleigh and so enjoy my trips up there.

PDG

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    The 308 is in that category. I would love to put a new ECU in with three programmed settings; Race, Economy, and DEQ.

Good to know. Is there a C&C in the area?

6. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Yes, there are multiple C&Cs around here. Raleigh was down for a while so maybe someone else could comment on that one but we have one in Fayetteville and I know Wilmington has one too.

PDG

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    What is the car culture like? In Portland the number of people hoping for a car free utopia can easily outnumber the enthusiast.

8. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jonny. You don't have to worry about emissions testing for your 308. Not required. The NC Chapter of the FCA is one of the most active in the nation. If you're an "IT guy" this area has multiple employment opportunities, a thriving tech culture including start-up/ entrepreneur. Cost of living in RTP is right about the national average. Rents are a smidge higher. The politics here will be different from Portland.

9. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    There are tons of car enthusiasts in Raleigh (and NC as a whole). You'll fit right in with your love of cars and IT!

10. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Good to know about the emissions and the FCA.

Opportunity is what would bring me out there. My biggest concern is what happens after the contract if it is not renewed.

You guys are doing better then you think on cost of living. It would be a 8 to 25% decrease from Portland to Raleigh.

I fully expect anywhere to have different politics.

Sounds good so far. Just need to find a place with a big enough garage.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If the emissions issue bhas any bumps, register it in SC. No emissions testing as well. :) (you can also be driving a car that *barely* runs, is 90% rusted through, and has two wheels with emergency spares and it's road worthy.. )

My sis-in-law lives in Portland and it's a VERY interesting place! No bay-area folks driving up the cost of housing like in Portland and SF.. though we've seen a bump here in Charleston.

FYI Intelligencia coffee is available if you find the right coffee shop.. they're out there! :)

12. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Your best bets in the Triangle area will be parts of Cary (near Lochmere, Regency, or Prestonwood), the north side of Raleigh, north and/or west sides of Durham, or south side of Chapel Hill. There are patches of larger homes in some of the surrounding towns (such as Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Morrisville, and etc) but the aforementioned will probably have the most widespread potential for the biggest garages.

13. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Yea, living in Portland is an exercise in patience, tolerance and dealing with the crisis dejour. The city slogan should be, "Today we are building for tomorrow based on what we thought was correct yesterday."

14. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Portland and Raleigh are night and day, in my opinion. My experience here in Raleigh is after living here 36 years. My experience with Oregon is only after brief visits. My wife is from southern California. She cried regularly after moving here. She is over that now after 29 years and would not move back.

It's a little humid here :):).

And conservative :):).

But, lost of pluses like tons of great roads. Nice beaches. World class motorcycle/car roads in the mountains :):).

15. Christian Sasfai

Dec 31, 2012
    Heath, Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian Sasfai
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but Virginia International Raceway is very close.