Tell me about Jeep Wrangles | FerrariChat

Tell me about Jeep Wrangles

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PeterS, Oct 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I want to buy a late model used Wrangler, but I know nothing about them. I want one for general banging around, where I will not have to worry about keeping it clean (As I do with my new 4Runner).

Would I be happy with one?

2. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I think F40 could help you out with this one....

3. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    As long as you get the inline-6 and not the 4 cyl., you should be OK.

A buddy of mine has one, he got a deal on the 4 cyl, but he really regretted it. Another guy I know is really into Jeeps, he got one of the 1st Wranglers after the last redesign. He really likes his. Nice that you can still have the top completely off, and clean the interior out with a hose.

4. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I had a jeep wrangler for a couple of years. In fact I still miss it. Great vehicle. Great on road and off road. Mine was a five speed and 4 cylinder though so yes i agree if you can find one with the 6 that would be much better. I didnt need to speed around in mine but the 4 was very sluggish off the line. Mine took everything I threw at it and the only thing needed replacing was the cat and exhaust. I say go for it and dont even worry if the top is off, I never did and didnt have a problem (luckily)

5. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    This may not be much help as my jeep was neither used or older, but I had a 04' Rubicon and it was a very capable off-road vehicle. I took into a local 4x4 nightmare and it was able to outclimb, outrun and just plain outperform many of the lifted CJ's and Wranglers and had very little trouble with the FJ's (landcruiser). If you can make the stretch to the Rubicon I would recommend it, they come with air-lockers, stronger suspension components and upgraded diffrentials (Dana 44's if I'm not mistaken) from the factory which means if you break it, most dealers will take great care of you!

6. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I drove a 2001 Wrangler today. It was pretty fun to drive (Not sure how far I could push the corders before tipping it). Just what I expected, a bit noisy and slow acceleration (6Cly). This may be the ticket!

7. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I would say get a 6cyl Wrangler with an auto and you'll be set... Don't bother with the Rubicon if you won't be using it off-road. The 4.0 I-6 is a GREAT engine and will go 300+K miles before it needs a rebuild. Just be sure you have enough room, if not check out the new Wrangler Unlimited.