Tell FDA NO to Genetically Modified Apples | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tell FDA NO to Genetically Modified Apples

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Piper, Sep 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
  2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    While this thread isn't about Uro and I'd rather it didn't become about Uro, his attitude is exactly why many people, families like my own, have come to distrust the medical establishment. And where the organic industry preys on people, it's made all the easier by his sort of bedside manner. But I want nothing to do with questioning his credentials or integrity, or his intentions which I have to assume a generally good. I just think he's a product of the establishment and like most doctors, buys hook, line and sinker the research bought and paid for by big pharma.

3. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    I agree. The last thing I want to waste time on is deciphering what something actually is due to industry hiding it for whatever reason.

Since the discussion brought up 'organic' I will mention that my family runs a hydroponic greenhouse (using chemical ferts) whose tomatoes are just as tasty as the plants grown in the local soil. Personally I'd use organic ferts with aeroponic methods if it was my business.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Oh dear.

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    What is the difference between GE and hybrids which have been with us for centuries without complaint?

Honeycrisp apples which are delicious and recently popular I'm told by a grower is nothing new but an old variety that had been ignored because it wasn't the prettiest and doesn't store well. Folks are wising up to the fact that pretty doesn't always mean good and who really cares if the apples turn brown after sliced except perhaps fast food establishments which ain't where one goes for good food anyway.

Why are organic fruits and vegetables so expensive?

The crop dusters must fly at night.

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    The term "organic" is, at best, part marketing BS and part true effort to stay away from some of the less desirable traits of the commercial grower. The bigger problem in agriculture is the lack of commitment to sustainable farming practices that result in SAFE food for all of us. We can only mine or create so much NPK out of the ground before things get really expensive. Orgaincs will be remembered for bringing to light the real dangers of corporate food practices but it isn't the end result.

As to GMO's, the apple example is a little off in that GMO's are primarily used to increase yield and reduce other expensive inputs, such as pesticide and herbicide. Many grain GMO's can hardly keep up with mutating fungus and pests. The cycle of mutation is shortening resulting in the need for even more GMO products to counteract. GMO's are seen as the solution to feeding the world even as the general environment of the world falls apart.

7. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad