Technical help with the F1 gearbox? | FerrariChat

Technical help with the F1 gearbox?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Bmyth-FDC, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Christian, good too see you on here again...where have you been? :) I have a great article on this topic, in one of my magazines... the F1 tranny is NOT a glorified auto...and while the tiptronic is also "clutchless" there are main differences between a variable gearbox v. a true sequential manual gearbox such as the Ferrari F1, Aston Martin, and possibly the BMW SMG's. The standard "+/-" systems on automatic cars behave differently and have computers that will shift for you.

The best thing for me to do is to dig up that article, then scan/fax it to you. I can't do the description justice... my only recollection is that there are main differences. I'll try to find it this weekend.

Byron

2. Christian Asis

Apr 28, 2003
    Hi guys -

I've done a search on this board and the old board and while I found a few spirited discussions (mostly to do with buying a 360 with or w/o the F1 tranny), I haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me to a somewhat technical discussion of the F1 gearbox and how it works. It is my understanding that unlike the tiptronic gearbox that Porsche uses, the F1 box is a true "clutchless" manual gearbox and not an automatic that allows you to select gears. I searched Ferrari's web page to no avail.

I'm asking because I was having a spirited argument with my boss today and its come down to a bet over lunch. He says the F1 box in the Fcar is nothing more than a glorified auto whereas I understand the truth to be different.

Can you help?

Christian

3. Christian Asis

Apr 28, 2003
    Hi Byron -

I haven't been around much lately. I'm sorry about that but things have been pretty tough for me.

Unfortunately, my dad suffered a pretty severe stroke about two months ago and I've been trying to help my family deal with the event. In fact, I sold my S2000 a few weeks ago to free up some cash to help my Mom deal with the finances. Kind of a bummer, but not really when you consider what's really important.

I still intend on checking in here because of the people and the cars but I haven't been posting too much because frankly, without my S2000 I feel kind of lame doing so.

Anyway, your help in digging up the article would be appreciated.

Christian

4. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    On topic, the easiest way to delineate the two is a traditional automatic-based ("automanual") transmits power via fluid. It has a traditional toroidal torque converter, just like the one in a 1969 Chevy Malibu with a Hydramatic. This transmission has buttons and/or levers which does the same as placing a traditional PRNDL into low. In modern iterations, the shift is computer controlled utilizing sensors such as steering position, lateral acceleration, yaw, engine rpm, throttle position and throttle velocity to determine how and when to shift when you push the button.

In a Ferrari with F1, it is a true manual transmission (or "manumatic"), with a traditional dry clutch, that has been converted to utilize hydraulic actuators in place of a shift linkage to the cockpit and link to the through out bearing for the clutch. Power is transmitted via mechanical linkage of the clutch's friction surfaces, no fluid power here.

Again, just like in with a automanual, computer controlled shifting utilizing inputs from the aforesaid sensors to determine shift timing, speed and quality. BTW, it also blips the throttle for a perfectly timed downshift, saving the synchronizers from typical abuse.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

Christian, sorry to hear about your dad.

5. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Christian,
    I'm sorry to hear of the news as well - if there's anything we can do to help lift your spirits, just let me know... don't worry about "feeling lame" ... sometimes, talking about one of your passions in life helps to get your mind off things and put you at ease.

I think Rexrcr summed it up pretty well there... Unfortunately, I wasn't able to dig up that article over the weekend, but I only looked in a few of my mags... I know I still have it in one of my archives - just need to look harder. I hope to find it for you soon.

By the way, if you're ever in need of some seat time, even w/o a car, we can accomodate. Give me a heads up ahead of time, and we'll be happy to find you a passenger seat during one of our next drive events.

Byron

6. Christian Asis

Apr 28, 2003
    Thanks guys for the thoughts.

Byron - I found a pretty good article written in an older R&T that won the bet. No need to keep digging, but I appreciate the offer.

And I appreciate the offer of seat time and will likely take you up on that offer once my life gets somewhat back to normal. I've had zero free time for much of anything and know that I'm going to burn out soon if I don't find some recreational activities and frankly, without my little pride and joy, I'm going to have to rely on you guys for that:)

Thanks again for the warm thoughts. I'm not super religious but I am spiritual and believe that thoughts and prayers go a long way.