TDF #0619/0805 | FerrariChat

TDF #0619/0805

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Feb 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    RM will be offering this car @ Amelia Island on March 12th. Much more to come no doubt....

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #2 Marcel Massini, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Is the passenger headrest an option or an add on ?

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not original.

Marcel Massini

5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Was this car born as #0619 or #0805?

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Born as 0805 GT.
    For tax purposes renumbered to 0619 GT.
    Sparling bought the wreck in 1973 from Gary D. Schmidt, an American service man stationed at the time in Bitburg, Germany.

Marcel Massini

7. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    The back of the car is terrible in particular the line of the back window never so high and the back fenders way too straight and going up while they normally have a round part, at least from my memory of mine,,that you know so well.
    Is there anything in this body that is original or its all brand new Wayne Sparling made. And was the chassis modified or rectified after the accident?

8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Compared to M.F car, the last late TDF sold recently at auction, and although non restored was pretty original, with current moves of market, and the need to do a new body, knowing the car will always be known as having a new non period body,,,5 M in my opinion is too much. If I compare the price paid for an original number matching LM but rebodied after a massive accident, to a good car, is is a 50pc discount ,,and I am thinking of another car than the last rebodied most of people will think of. So I would say closer to 4 M..may be even 3.5.will see.

9. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Thanks Marcel

10. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    i am a little confused now, as i have the TDF of the Maranello Rosso Collection as 0805GT.
    but that is a different car.
    could somebody explain please?

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The ex Violati car is 0619 GT which later used the identity of 0805 GT and had a later body as well.

Marcel Massini

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is a Sparling Special.
    (PS: Remember his former goldmetallic 275 GTB/4 Alloy sold by RM in Amelia a few yrs ago? And the 166 MM Abarth Rebody?)

Marcel Massini

13. ERA

ERA Karting

Dec 21, 2015
  14. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    #14 GHG, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Send it to Warren Wolfe, he'll correct it. Amazing with alloy, steel, and paint. He had a GTO several months back, RR Henley Roadster and now a Daytona. All in our small little Southern ex textile town.

16. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The problem here is that the market does not realize how many of these cars have been massively repaired at a time or another. I am always amazed how disasterous restorations are praised in unison. 0805GT is a good example on how WRONG a car must be before the cat comes out of the bag.

My opinion is that 0805GT will need a careful restoration, where everything that was made by Sparling is carefully removed and then re-manufactured matching the original design 100% exactly. To achieve a perfect end result, would require another car to stand beside it. There are many sad examples on how wrong things get when one does not realize what it takes to restore a masterpiece design. You need to control every single contour to make the car look right and time after time new players come out who do the same mistakes over and over again. I frequently find real cars among my unidentified replicar photos; that's how bad some of the recent restorations really are! they fly under the radar of the market as long as they have the red book...

17. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007

Ultimately it did not sell. Means WS had higher expectations for his work and car than market...but I don't think anyone offered him a real 4Musd.
    One question we don't know, is whether something need to be corrected from what he did ( wrong) or the car need a full new body. On pictures following the accident there were remains of the original body, or at least what was left after the previous shunt.

Modifying properly an original body that has been un properly repaired is common and do not affect too much value afterwards. But if, as the catalogue seem to indicate, and our MM too, WS had reconstructed a full new body,,then it is a whole new story comparable to cars that have no longer their original body and there is nothing that can be done than accept that the body is all brand new done in 2016, with implied impact on value.

In other words, cars with poorly repaired body are sad, but reparable. Cars with un proper brand new body, well the body can be changed to look correct, still it is a car with a brand new body and as such will be always discounted compared to a car with body made primarily by Scaglietti.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I would think with today's technology a TDF could be digitized by scanning and a buck made by robotics. I heard they just scanned the first car and submitted it to the smithsonian the Daytona Cobra.

QUOTE=kare;144574726]The problem here is that the market does not realize how many of these cars have been massively repaired at a time or another. I am always amazed how disasterous restorations are praised in unison. 0805GT is a good example on how WRONG a car must be before the cat comes out of the bag.

My opinion is that 0805GT will need a careful restoration, where everything that was made by Sparling is carefully removed and then re-manufactured matching the original design 100% exactly. To achieve a perfect end result, would require another car to stand beside it. There are many sad examples on how wrong things get when one does not realize what it takes to restore a masterpiece design. You need to control every single contour to make the car look right and time after time new players come out who do the same mistakes over and over again. I frequently find real cars among my unidentified replicar photos; that's how bad some of the recent restorations really are! they fly under the radar of the market as long as they have the red book...[/QUOTE]

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    A scan will only be able to record the shape of an existing car. If that data can be used on another car, really depends on many things. Scaglietti built cars in particular were built by hand so they come with unique shapes and all sorts of variations. My guess is that scanning several original cars and comparing the data would bring up many totally unexpected surprices!

Cheers, Kare

20. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144510937-post188.html
    If this drawing is an original from Scaglietti you have all the information you need. But of course in reality slight differences might occur. In my opinion it is wrong when the restorers use modern CAD/CAM technology to restore an old car. They were never that perfect and that is exactly what makes them so special.

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #21 kare, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    If that is a period drawing I would expect it to be documentation by factory rather than Scaglietti.

I fully agree on what you say about technology. Using different tools inevitably changes the result. I've seen many ill-fitting parts made by using CAD/CAM methods, which is something that could never happen by using traditional methods.

As a Finn I would make a long story short by saying that a log house made with a chainsaw is very different from a loghouse made with an axe. I think you get the picture!