TBM Avenger ditches public beach | Page 3 | FerrariChat

TBM Avenger ditches public beach

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Apr 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    May I comment. Having seen original Spitfires I remember the thick external paint and the thick internal finish, a grey green. This Spitfire was buried and not exposed to much oxygen. How many skins were replaced? The restoration is pristine and I would bet that there were many skins replaced as well as other improvements. Wonderful recovery!

tazz99 likes this.
  3. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    My tongue in cheek comment referred to the fact that this particular Spitfire "restoration" started off with this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Most of the MkI Spitfires that have appeared on the scene recently are what, in the car world, would be called replicas. UK regulations do not allow anyone to construct an aircraft unless they own the original type approval. There are several companies in the UK making new components for Spitfires and it is possible, but not legal, to build a fully operational Spitfire using only new parts. However, it is possible to "restore" an existing aircraft using new parts. The only original part in most of these aircraft is the data plate. Hopefully the Florida Avenger will be washed off and put back into the air before it is allowed to look like this!

BJK likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    like I said, take a serial number plate and run with it. :)

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Like I said, " Buff it out in the morning and....."

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This airplane was found disassembled in a field of grass stripped and covered with leaves. On the rotted kick board I found an original name plate on which was stamped, " U.S Army Aeronca L-3 1942". In eight months two of us plus my little son, Dana, rebuilt it. It wasn't perfect but it did win a first place award at the 13th annual antique fly-in at Merced, California and several after that. It ended its days in a fatal mid-air at Scapoose, Oregon being flown by another pilot.Name plates matter. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer and tritone like this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Beautiful little airplane, even in olive drab.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Taz. My oldest son learned to fly in it, soloing at 16 and he went on to flying for an airline. Three of my 4 boys enjoyed flying to airshows in it or simply enjoying the Pacific Northwest from altitude. I was a single dad and this airplane plus a little sailboat kept my kids pretty much stabilized for a while. We all have good memories of the L-3 , the sailboat ,and the airshows with the Clown Plane.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Your kids were lucky. Dad was in the AF so we never lit anywhere long enough to have an airplane or wet enough for a boat. Plus Dad was flying for free on Uncle Sam's dime. He did love cars, though, so I learned to drive in a 61 Corvette.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I mentioned on another post, you had a great dad. One of many who helped to make sure that this country is what it is today. And then there are those who followed in his foot steps.

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I believe this is another one, @ the Pacific Aviation Museum:

I was told by one of the curators, that this is the actual plane which survived the Pearl Harbor attack on Dec. 7, 1941. By way of quick thinking flight instructor Marguerite Gambo. There was a scene in the film Tora Tora Tora, based on this event. But the film featured a Stearman.

https://aviation.hawaii.gov/aviation-pioneers/marguerite-gambo-woods/

NürScud likes this.
  12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I believe that is a 1941 Aeronca "Defender". A little bit different than the L-3, no rear facing observer's seat or map board, and no extended plexiglas aft. Some L-3's had a wind driven generator to supply elex, to the radio. The L-3 was also heavier than its predecessor.

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

I recently picked up this salty patch.

Yes it is an original.

Torpedo Squadron 20.

The famous combat unit served on board the Big E during the war and flew the TBM.

norcal2 likes this.
  14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    TBMs were a good way to die, unfortunately. Straight and level for the drop, but at least they were slow, too.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I recall that one effective way to take out a torpedo plane on its run was to put cannon fire into the water ahead of it and let them fly into outburst.