Tax credit towards a car if your trade in is a lease towards a purchase ??? | FerrariChat

Tax credit towards a car if your trade in is a lease towards a purchase ???

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by RobertM, May 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Tax credit towards a car if your trade in is a lease towards a purchase ???

I was at the jaguar dealership and at the last minute the sales manager comes in the office and says we have an issue. he THOUGHT that my trade in was financed and not a car that is being returned as a lease, so he had to remove the credit for the sales tax. That changed the deal, so we left.

Is that correct ???

I went to car max today and they offered me the same number BUT said I would get a tax credit if I got a car from them. I questioned their response because the jag dealershp said that there was no credit because I only pay tax as I make the monthly payments, which seems to make sense to me.

So who is correct ???

If I trade in my lease, do I get a tax credit for the cars value that are giving me, the new car will be a purchase ???

2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #2 JAM1, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
    You are only paying sales tax on the lease payments (and deposit depending on what state you live in), not the full value of the car; therefore you are not entitled to a tax credit for the full value of the vehicle. Carmax must have factored that into their deal by charging more for the car they're selling so that they could show you "receiving" a tax credit.

3. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    thanks for the response
    I agree with you, I thought it was odd that Car Max would credit the tax and thought that maybe they knew something we did not. we did not get that far with numbers. the jag dealership suggested that I go to car max because they usually offer more for the trades. when I got the number for the trade the saleman said that if i get a car there then i would get the tax credit. that is when I asked are you sure ??? ??? and we walked to the finance department and they all agreed that there is a tax credit even with a lease trade in.

maybe it is the old bait and switch, they give you the numbers and get you excited about the deal and then say - ohhhh we have an issue, but it is only $44 a month more, after you are getting ready to go to the finance department.

That is what happened to me and my wife at the jag dealership and we thanked them for their time and left and the car was getting ready for delivery.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Where I live he would be correct. You'd have to buy out the lease, take ownership, and trade it in to capture the tax credit.

5. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It's not worth it. Trust me.