Tata is pulling ahead of pack | FerrariChat

Tata is pulling ahead of pack

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by msdesignltd, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

I like it but the historical precedent of reliability and built in gremlins just makes me nervous. I have had very reliable performance from my X3 and X5 and would not want to go backwards. Hopefully TATA will exorcise the gremlins out of the iconic brand.

3. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    #3 Innovativethinker, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    looks very nice, it also looks really small

"on a new chassis" - wonder what platform it is from

4. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I’ve always liked the Évoque, but I can’t get my head around the lack of a charismatic engine.

However, that is of no concern to the buyers, a boring 4 cylinder is no different to a straight six, which I heard was coming as part of a new modular engine design, or a small V8 to reference the original.

For me it’s a special little car without a proper engine ..........

The Velar even more so .........

However, is the Velar selling? I never see them. When the Evoque was launched, suddenly they were everywhere.

boxerman likes this.
  5. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Looks interesting, but am rather curious about the engine choice, petrol and diesel (I don't grade as hybrid the "mild-hybrid" tech shown). I know there was a lot of money invested on the development of the ingenium plant, but I was expecting a bit more, considering the recent "doomsday" talk of ICEngines...

Also, I hope they did a really great update on ITCP tech as the one used on the Velar left a lot to desire...

Jaguar and Land Rover are brands that I have special place in my heart, so I hope for the best to them.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    [QUOTE="MAPS, post: 146324354, member: 203860"Jaguar and Land Rover are brands that I have special place in my heart, so I hope for the best to them.[/QUOTE]

Everybody I know who has bought a Land Rover regretted it.

7. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Everybody I know who has bought a Land Rover regretted it.[/QUOTE]
    I know some die hard fans but also know some that are extremely disapointed and swore to never again. My wife loves them, but then again, she doesn'teven pay for the fuel!

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    My RR (HSE Supercharged) has been without major issue from purchase in 2009. It's a very capable truck that gets me off-road and then cleans up well enough to go to the opera. Unfortunately for Tata, I'm unwilling to write a $100K+ check for a new one. Crazy where their MSRPs have gone.

During services, I am given a loaner from the dealer. Lately, that's been an Evoque. I feel it isn't up to the LR quality of the bigger siblings. It's not as solidly built and has, as noted, a small(er) engine. It's fine for get around town driving, though. Works well for congested roads and parking lots. As a good portion of my driving is on highways (posted speeds of 75mph but traffic is often moving faster than that), it can feel a little like I'm wringing its' neck just to keep up at times. But, it can cruise at 75mph without feeling like it is having trouble. I'd not want to have to accelerate up a big hill with a full load, though.

I haven't had a Velar, yet, but when I looked at them, I did feel the engine was a little underwhelming. Even the small engine option on the Sport surprised me a bit. I know we're not all going to get SVRs, but the horsepower wars have diverged. It's how manufacturers meet the CAFE requirements, I suppose, but it's also consumer demand for more efficient, in-town powertrains. City streets are 25-35mph, and who needs 500+bhp for that?

CW

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The land rover evoque is a Ford. Ford engine, Ford electronics etc..surprised you guys dont know this.

Flash G likes this.
  10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They have their own engines now. Ingenium name.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Fantastic!! A computer controlled oil pump!! Just what we needed after all these years. Why didnt I think of such a thing? Good friend of mine bought a 2018 land rover earlier this year, he is handing it back next week. Nothing but problems. Damn heater and defrost won't work. Now is a safety issue. LandRover has no fix. Yet they think a computer controlled pil pump is a good idea even though they can't get the heater to work..

12. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Velar price point(once loaded up) is far too close to the Sport in my opinion. I like the looks of the new facelifted RRS and FFRR, but not enough to spend the money on them. If shopping an Evoque i think the GLC, Macan, Xc60 AND x3 are all more compelling options. Same goes for the sport - it’d be a Cayenne or X5 for me all day long. Discovery sport and new discovery full size are horrendous in all ways. They gave me a Disco Sport last time my LR3 went in for service - I brought it back and said I’d wait for my truck to be done. Full size rover is the only thing in their lineup that is the most compelling in its class and that’s probably because no one even makes anything that really competes with it. Really a shame as I’ve always loved rovers. Will likely keep my lr3 forever

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are all junk. It comes down too how much junk you are willing to deal with.