Talk me out of it! | FerrariChat

Talk me out of it!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rob lay, Nov 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Y'all know me well enough, I have an obsessive addictive personality. I have been video game free since 1995 except little PC games now and then. For a couple years in college I was addicted to text based Multi-User Dungeons. I also enjoyed World of Warcraft before it went WoW. I'm certain my life would have ended if I started playing WoW, so I just stayed away. Recent commercials I've had some desire to look into Call of Duty or Dragon Age.

Please talk me out of it! :D

2. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You will get bored with call of duty after a few hours... same shoot em up stuff

But the dragon one... I don't know I'm thinking of getting it... hey we aren't getting any younger so who cares if we play video games anyway??? Right?

3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I really doubt you'll be talked out of it, but if you want more incentive buy Forza 3 and I'll send you a F355 Challenge painted like yours. :)

P.S. There are a few video game threads in the Collectables forum to be moved here.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Your life is too interesting to sit in a chair.

If you want to play soldier, grab a paintball marker.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    are all these games multi-user online now? not sure I like all the social stuff of these games, I would be happy just playing against the computer.

6. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice... Get a really good marker and play...

7. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Call of duty is online if you want to have fun...

Forza is also capable of online for buying and trading of cars and for racing...

The dragon thing is... ?

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #8 rob lay, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here is my baby, I used to play monthly, haven't played in years although still have my equipment and case of paintballs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    CoD:MW2 is about 2hrs of gameplay in solo campaign mode. It's a lot more fun to get online and play with other folks.

Dragon Age is about 50-60hrs of gameplay.

10. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Wow I haven't seen an Automag for a long time.

I don't really like online gaming myself. Too many 12 year olds whining with their potty mouths (who play 24/7 so they're way better than me :) ) But I suggest you get back into gaming, it's a great stress reliever and a way to learn some tracks on the car games.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Same situation...havent been really addicted since GP2 on PC and GT3 on PS2.

But im almost going out to buy an Xbox and Forza 3 and Call of Duty...Good thing i only have a laptop or i would be playing rFactor...

12. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I haven't played WoW since Burning Crusade if I didn't buy a Xbox this year I'd be playing it now. Did play Warhammer Online at the start of the year but it was still broken so I stopped.

Get Dragon Age on PC. I heard the console version isn't as good. I'll be playing it as soon as I upgrade the PC(which wont be till next year :eek: ). They say at least 80hrs of gaming.

PCGAMER(UK) dubbed it the RPG of the decade.

Modern Warfare 2 Campaign is over in under 5-10hrs. Then you get to replay it on super hard mode. Only get it if you plan on playing endless hrs online. Which I am :eek:

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    bad: its a black hole for time and $$$

good: its a fantastic way to do some things you would otherwise not be able to do whenever you want. rally racing, killing *****, whatever.

$$$: In the planning stages of a dedicated game room remodel now. Screen can't be big enough or room dark enough. Currently have a 65" panny plasma but have an 80" on order. 110 would be even better. Lots of wattage and subs. With 2 15" j&l subs, when the grenade goes off in COD it will physically hurt. I'm noticing some drywall that needs repair.

next up is dedicated vrx racing chairs with tactile feedback. So you feel the rumble strips, accel, decel.

Just got COD WM2 with night vision goggles. haven't tried them yet, but looks promising.

Haven't checked into the office in weeks.

Can't imagine what the next 10 years will bring. Yes I can. This is a great time to be a gamer.

14. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Wow, I used to play MUDSs about 8 years ago too!

Get Dragon Age, it's THE western RPG of the year.

15. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Dragon Age is great. COD is great. It would be hard for me to convince you to stay away from either. :D I play(ed) WoW since release but usually quit playing after a while until expansions come out. Eve Online is also another very addictive MMO.

16. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Agree with all of the above, though my set up is more modest. I play in a dedicated room with a 60" Pioneer plasma and Definitive Technology towers and surrounds. I'm having a ball!

I never did this stuff as a kid, I was too broke and too involved in other stuff. Now I LOVE it.

In the new era of Hope & Change, I find it quite satisfying to sit back, have a beer, smoke a cigar, and have a ball while being generally unproductive. Call it economic hibernation till we have a regime change. :)

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I have Dragon Age on PC...and it's one of the best games I've ever played and I'm not much of an RPG fan. Story, graphics, voice acting..the whole lot of it is just top notch. This is one of the few games I've played where I've got no gripes.

Well, maybe just one. The box art sucks.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    do you have to buy the box in a store or can you get everything you need from download? big learning curve with operation? now is it completely numbers dungeon & dragon turn based interaction or is there actual control based skill required? Like how fast you can hit the key or move around. I prefer just traditional decision and turn based interaction where no control skills are needed.

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    1. You can get DA:O from Steam or Direct2Drive. I've never used Direct2Drive but Steam is quite good if you must download.

2. Not a huge learning curve with operation once you get used it. It's basically MMO-style target mob and pew pew until it is dead, so it's not an FPS in that regard...no twitchy twitchy needed. The game does give you 3 more NPC characters that will help you in battle and will level and progress in the same fashion as your main character. You can let the computer run them according to their default actions, or you may assign them whatever actions you prefer, like having the rogue and the mage kill casters and other ranged damage dealers before assisting you. The battles are all real time, but you can pause the action to select a target to heal, nuke, or drink a health potion or whatever...you can even play as one of the other NPC's that are in your group.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Eh, I'm not much into video games. I stopped after SNES. A lot of my friends plays FFXI on their PC (similar to WoW). I don't get it. Very time consuming and there doesn't seem to be much fun. I guess if you have a lot of friends and want to do stuff together as a team, it could be something to do.

I would suggest buying a motorcycle. Do you have one? You can get a new Aprilia RS125 (2 stroke) for like less than $5k new and have a lot of fun.

21. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    + 1 for Steam.

Haha @ box art. How much time do you look at the box :p

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    but how about a nice little manual I need to read?

23. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  24. CustomFerrari

CustomFerrari Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.
    yes rob if you get forza 3 i will be your best friend and send you lots fo cars