T-28 Armament kit - bought! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

T-28 Armament kit - bought!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That is a mean looking little airplane and it carries the patina of war very proudly.
    Switches

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    It's a Fox armoured scout car, currently available here: http://www.khakicorpsimports.com/in-fox.htm

And the kicker is that it is street legal...

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Have you found that bigger engine for yours yet?:):)
    (I know you are looking.................:p:p)

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Well, unlike automobiles, I am not so keen on messing with the original engineering on aircraft.... :)

However, in a few years, if the right D model came along...

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #80 snj5, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #81 snj5, May 9, 2009
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Russ- You probably can pick up some concrete Mk 82s (500 lb) if you want them. They may be little heavy for your aircraft, but are very low drag. Might be nice for static display, but are a bit heavy to handle without ground suport equipment (AGE). I assume you bomb rack has the standard 14" suspension lug spacing.

Do not know if you got cartridges for your racks, but would actually advise against using them. They can take off a hand if you do not know what you are doing. Where you fly, there is probably not a dump area, at any rate. There should be a munitions manual available for your aircraft somewhere. It would probably be TO T-28-34-1 or something similar.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    You're right, there are not carted (thankfully). On the A-model, a Mark 82 would be a bit much, although common on the later large engined planes as you see. The t-28A-1 as shown below pretty only calls for the gun pods, 100# bombs and rockets. Later A models could have an Aero-15 pylon which could mount a Mk-82, but based on the performance with the gun pods it would be a total dog to fly with 2 Mk-82s (unless they were hollow)

9. PAR8HD

PAR8HD Karting

Mar 31, 2007
    Shoreview, MN
    Full Name:
    Harold J. Hitchcock
    Very nice A Model you have there. Can't wait to get my Fennec finished, and when I do I will need a set of those pods as well! Also need the rocket pods for the outboard station as well. We're also looking for the correct gunsight, so if you have a lead on something??

Have fun!

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #85 snj5, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    Harold!
    Good luck on the Fennec. A better gun option for you may be the smaller faired .50 calibers (seen in below posts), which available as repros.. There is a set of NOS pods in a box as part of an original A model weapons kit availiable, but the original NAA pieces are quite dear. Let me know when you are ready and will pass sources. I can get 7 shot 2.75" pod repros locally from the O-1 bird dog guys.

I may be wrong, but unless you already have them, your challenge is going to be locating the wing pylons.

I think the Fennec may use the same gunsight as the other D models, a K-14 (A models used an N-9). These are also available in various states of rebuild. Google Jay Wisler.

Have fun, or with a Fennec, Bon Chance!!

11. PAR8HD

PAR8HD Karting

Mar 31, 2007
    Shoreview, MN
    Full Name:
    Harold J. Hitchcock
    Ahh Monsieur, it is nothing! Actually, when we got the Fennec it already had the hardpoints on it and was still wearing the armor plate on the side. Care to guess where I found corrosion when I had the paint stripped off? You got it. So surprisingly there are only four new skins on this bird, two under the armor plate directly underneath the front windscreen. The other two are under the inboard fuel bladders where the inboard hardpoint attaches. I do need the aluminum frames for the hardpoints since the ones that were on the plane were flaking with corrosion. I'm not putting the plate back on the bird, too much weight.

I "think" the gun sight on the Fennecs was a French critter, it isn't an N-9 as near as I can tell and definitely isn't a K-14. Right now we have her back on her gear for the first time in over 10 years. The tail is about ready to hang and the big push is getting all the placards finished for the cockpit to the wires can all be connected. Below is a photo of what she looked like when we started. I'm at the wrong computer, but I'll try and remember to upload something a little more current.

Amazing, at a website for cars I'm discussing my first passion.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpost.php?p=898129&postcount=29

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    A quick internet search turned up the Fennec gunsight as a SFOM 83A, also used on Fiats, Pucaras and OV-1s

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #88 snj5, May 26, 2009
  14. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
  15. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Russ

Nice looking T-28 !

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #91 snj5, Aug 30, 2009
    Now, don't think all this newer, smaller airplane talk has gotten in the way of me continually putzing with the T-28.

Even though by FChat standards I am a raging liberal, it's always time for more weapons!

Am having the very common 7-shot pod for the 2.75" FFAR fab'ed up.
    Photos below show some of the pieces, and a completed pod on an O-2

Am hoping that the drag is not too bad. The two shot launcher I have now has been great, and can easily be downloaded and swapped for the 7-shot in about 5 minutes per side.

Cool!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Flyhansa

Flyhansa Rookie

Sep 17, 2014
    Have the larger 7.62 cal pods with propane guns installed, and am looking for the .50 cal package to be mounted on a B model.

18. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Really beautiful airplane. I had a patient years ago who was a WWII p-51 pilot. He told me a story that when he got out after WWII, the military told him he could buy his P-51 for $400.00! As he said to me, this was 1945, who the heck had $400 to spend getting out of the military?!?
    Nd

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- You could buy a brand new P-38L from the Lockheed factory for $1200 right after the war ended.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    killing me! I was born 50 years late. :(

21. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I have the original bill of sale for my Mustang. In 1958 it sold for $987.50.

That won't even fill the tanks now

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yeah, I could have bought a Stearman for 400.00 in 1946. It had 20 hours on it. But who had any money then.

23. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    It wasn't the lack of money in 1958. It was 3 years before I was born.
    I did try to talk my dad to buy one when they were 60,000. In the early 70's.
    They were the same value as our family home at the time. As much as I tried to get him to sell the house for it, he figured the seven if us needed a place to live more then a P-51.

Now that house is worth about 140k and the P-51 is around 1.6 million

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    and a $10k 250 GTO $50mm. :)

25. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    #100 kylec, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Rob, you'd be well past your prime now, although I'd probably trade a 355ch for a p51 or p38

Slightly back on topic, the t28 was featured on the Aviators and they said it will out turn a Mustang. Are they really that agile? They seem like a lot of plane for the money if that's the case.