SWB 2687 | FerrariChat

SWB 2687

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bcarldc, Jun 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcarldc

bcarldc Rookie

Jan 23, 2006
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Bernard Carl
    I write only to offer a fair warning to potential SWB buyers. Both a European and a California- based dealer have been offering a 250 SWB s/n 2687 as an original 250 SWB comp car. There are three cars bearing this s/n around, but the dealer claimed this was the "real one."

The dealer involved admitted that much of the body had been replaced due to an accident more than a decade ago and that its post-accident provenance was a bit murky. He also acknowledged it had the wrong gearbox for a 250SWB comp car. But the dealer insisted that the rest of the car was original and assured me this would be attested to by a famous Ferrari restoration shop in Italy. The dealer demanded a small deposit (for "expenses") as a pre-condition to my having the car inspected. When I had confirmation that car was at this well respected Ferrari shop and available for my inspection, I did provide the requested refundable deposit.

After much procrastination, I finally got a numero inferno for the motor from the restoration shop and the engine appears to be from a much earlier 250 road car -- not a SWB. I then had an expert physically inspect the car on my behalf and he reported that the chassis number had been restamped. He was also informally told by by one person at Ferrari Classiche that I should stay away from the car.

I am still awaiting a refund of the small despot I paid to have the car inspected. My expert could not find much of anything original on this car, so I wanted to warn other collectors not to be as gullible as I was, even for a small sum of "expense" money.

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good luck on the refund and I'm sure others thank you for the post. :)

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #3 bigodino, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Was the engine on fire? ;)

Thanks for taking your time to post this information.

Here are two pictures of a Dutch SWB that is connected with s/n 2687. Is it this car that you had inspected?

Best regards, Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Bjoern Schmidt

Bjoern Schmidt Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Stuttgart/Germany
    Full Name:
    Bjoern Schmidt
    No it must be the Italian version of 2687GT obviously still owned by someone with the name Rossi. This car is shopped around by various brokers since some time.

Regards

Bjoern

5. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Bernard Carl:

Thank you for taking the time to write this and warn and educated us.
    Now more than ever, we collectors have to be careful for this kind of activity.
    Appreciate your post very much.

Best Edmond

6. Maseratista

Maseratista Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    who is this person at Ferrari Classiche?

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Interesting first post.

Marcel Massini

8. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I can't give you their first name for reasons of confidentiality, but their last name is Ferrarista.

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Fabulous answer! Like it.

Marcel Massini

Deemeyere Wim likes this.
  10. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    I just found this on the web, another curious tale of a Ferrari, a deposit and complex dealing. I have no reason to assume related to your story, but worth surfing the web ahead of dealings...

DOLIN v. KOJIMA | Leagle.com

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    HI - did you finally get your depsoit refunded?

regards

12. Yann Jules

Yann Jules Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Yann Jules
    The car represented as 2687GT has made the rounds in broker circles for a while, usually with prices between 3.6 and EUR 4.5M... obviously too low to be a correct car.
    I have myself received it from at least 5 or 6 different sources.

Best regards,
    Yann

13. Frrrii

Frrrii Rookie

Aug 28, 2006
    #13 Frrrii, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I concur, Dolin is a convicted felon for money laundering with the Hasidic Jewish Spinka & Yeshiva "church" which got caught up in an FBI sting for international money laundering, embezzlement, IRS & tax fraud, as well Dolin's partner and co-executive also received jail time in this same FBI sting which they threw 50+ corrupt people in Jail related to this Jewish Spinka & Yeshiva organization. Google it, lots of news on it, is where the Yeshiva & Spinka related Jewish church was taking in hundreds of thousands of Dollars in donations then funneling 90% of it back in cash to the "donors" and allowing them IRS write-offs, all to fund their money laundering operation between Los Angeles & New York & Israel.

14. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the car reported stolen in the article is the same one that B Carl had inspected?

15. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    April 2014 I was offered 3315 with engine gearbox claimed to be from from 2687. I think 3315 is a replica using GTE4669 as a basis?

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As of 2001 #3315 GT was NOT a replica but the real thing. It is possible that some fool built his own "3315 GT" but that has nothing to do with the real one.

Marcel Massini

17. George_Lind

George_Lind Rookie

Jun 9, 2016
    What are the news - or what is the current status about the 2687GT?
    It is offered to me ...of course as "the" original ...

I have a client for and I do not like to be involved any fraud activities....

George

18. George_Lind

George_Lind Rookie

Jun 9, 2016
    Hello everybody ...

does anybody know about the real story of this car?
    Is the original 2687 existing?

Lot´s of rumors and stories about this unique car ...
    Does any body knows?

19. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Isn't is clear yet to everybody? - There is no 2687GT anymore which is even close to original.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. Garage_Ferrari

Jul 15, 2015
    This message relates to the 1961 250 GT SWB VIN 2687 (the “2687 GT SWB”), and is intended to summarily address many unsupported stories, rumors, opinions and representations pertaining to it. Although at least two replicas of the 2687 GT SWB may exist, the original and authentic 2687 GT SWB was not destroyed as rumored by some. Indeed, Eng. Mauro Forghieri, the renowned Italian F1 Engineer who was also involved in the construction and development of the SWB, has corroborate that the 2687 GT SWB currently exists. As such, any person interested in discussing the authenticity of the 2687 GT SWB (including but not limited to those persons who have questioned its genuineness) is hereby invited to contact Eng. Forghieri or the current legal owner of the vehicle to: [email protected] Eng. Forghieri and current legal owner are confident that the documentary evidence in their possession will disprove any previous, unwarranted fabrications about the vehicle; and expect skeptics to reassess their past or present conjectures"

RamsHmb likes this.
  21. MuhammadalArmani

Feb 28, 2024
    Full Name:
    Muhammad
    Hi, was that shop that should've confirm and I assume restore the car Zanasi? Sounds familiar.