Suspension | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Suspension

Discussion in '308/328' started by Imatk, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    The weight imbalance comes to light on downhill corners, especially off camber , or flat off camber corners, the 308 / 328 s are not going to handle better than a Boxter or Caymen, or newer BMWs. the 3x8 s will go from slight understeer to slight oversteer when cornering hard , so its best to enter a corner slower and then accelerate through the APEX, I know at some point I read this exact verbage (plow ) in some magazine years ago which was featuring an article on our 308 / 328s . Driving a 308 /328 quickly demands a skilled person behind the wheel , same can be said for 911s without 4wd and oh what fun it is gentlemen !!

Thank you

derekw likes this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    A DIY girly craft store ought to have a variety of stencil letter stamps, but you'll first need to determine what font style and size suits you best.

Beetleything and miketuason like this.
  4. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Dave I will try Michael’s and see if they have something, as the far as the font, it is exactly like the one on the pic above.

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yup, Michael's was just the kind of store that I had in mind, but I was not certain if they were a national chain.

My reference to 'matching the font' is that a store like that generally has a variety of different stamping kits on the shelf, so it may become a bit of a challenge to exactly find a close enough match to suit you whilst shopping.

miketuason likes this.
  6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    .. are you worried about losing points for the wrong font? I would prefer an un-stamped power-coated version over a 40 year old original with perfectly smudged stamps in the correct shade of off-white in the approved font. It is only original once...

waymar and miketuason like this.
  7. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Question, I only see this stamping on the rear right a arm but not on the left rear, should there be one on both side?

8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    This is a great thread! Has anyone rebuilt their steering rack while they were going through the suspension or replaced the rack bushings?

2cam

9. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Hey Mike the powder coating looks amazing. As for your stencil, have you tried just playing around with one of those font programs? Once you determine the font like mentioned earlier you can upload it to one of those Cricket machines (also at Micheals) for making stencils. My wife plays around with that stuff when she makes her cakes for her business. Then all you need is to lightly “dab” paint it with a fine sponge. It will look an original as original did......

miketuason likes this.
  10. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I think that rebuilding the steering rack when working on the suspension is the norm.

11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  12. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Mike,
    Which Ferrari part number is this equivalent to?

miketuason likes this.
  13. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  14. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes MIke, Gotcha. Thanks.

dave80gtsi likes this.
  15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    waymar and thorn like this.
  16. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Mike, did you also put new inner steel sleeves? do you know, do the inner steel sleeves wear, or is all the wear taken by the bushing? Are these better than the OEM ones that are sold by Ferrari parts suppliers? Cheers, BB

17. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Brock! My original inner sleeves are still good so I’m just replacing the PTFE coated bushings. Normally neither the the bushings nor the inner sleeves get damaged and usually both are reusable, it is just this time the powder coating shop did a poor job masking the bushings and ruined the PTFE coating but no big deal for $2.00 a piece, I just replaced them all.

waymar likes this.
  18. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    While my front suspension is currently removed, I rebuilt my steering rack on a 1979 308 GTS, and used the CRC Sta-Lube Engine Assembly Grease. If you search, there are a lot of great FerrariChat write-ups on steering rack rebuilds. I like the two below, the second link includes a Pantera write up here, which apparently uses the same steering rack as the 308.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/steering-rack-rebuild-308.403218/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1975-308-gt4-steering-rack-rebuild.407980/

GordonC and 2cam like this.
  19. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Great threads. Thanks John!

2cam

20. mcfarlin

mcfarlin Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike McFarlin
    I just did this job myself. I was so happy with the way the front end came out that I’m now doing the rear. I used the energy suspension bushings and had a guy at brakes plus tack weld in the metal outer part of the bushings. Could have used the old ones but I messed a couple up with the sawzall while removing the old rubber. Hint, use a propane torch! I also bought a press at Harbor Freight. Came I. Very handy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

built2grind, Imatk, jjason981 and 3 others like this.
  21. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Whoops! I meant Paul and wasn't able to edit. Thanks Paul! ;)

2cam

ProvaMo likes this.
  22. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Just to highlight the OEM-style bushing tack weld for this thread, see Pictures #9 & #11 of Basal Skull's thread, nicely shows the welds in detail.
    To reinforce an important detail that Basal Skull mentions: When you do final tightening of the main OEM style rubber bushings in the forks, ensure they're in the rested position, with weight on wheels, to preclude inadvertent pre-torque/twisting (apologies if this is basic!)

Imatk likes this.
  23. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Basal Skull likes this.
  24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The S is upside down. (Or rather, needs to be.)