Surprising effect | FerrariChat

Surprising effect

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by moserpe, Mar 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Now, i have hopefully eliminated the last remaining bug in the electric system left unrepaired by the previous owner.
    After certain time of driving, the radio has started to switch off and on again repeatedly. I'm sure, everyone would have searched for a bad contact in the power supply to the radio. So did i, but with no positive result. Eventually, i have installed an instrument to read the voltage at the radio terminal while driving. The result was quite surprising: Sporadic voltage peaks (up to 16 Volts) caused the radio to trip. Becker confirmed that it is equipped with under- and over-voltage reset!
    I removed both alternators and had them tested by a Bosch service. The voltage regulator of the lower alternator turned out to be faulty.

The removal of the lower alternator was quite tricky since the long (pivot) bolt is colliding with the steering bar before it frees the alternator. Rather than disassembling the ball-joints of the steering, I have lifted up the engine about half an inch to move the bolt above the level of the bar. Does anyone know whether this is normal or has the engine lowered from its design- position due to old rubber blocks?

Peter