supercharging a mondial 8 | FerrariChat

supercharging a mondial 8

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by smg2, Oct 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay, i 'm looking at adding some more torque and hp to car. nothing really big just enough to were it isn't laboured keeping up with traffic these days. my thought was custom building a supercharger using a ASA unit and putting it inplace of the A/C as i never use A/C.

with the k-jet CIS, it should be able to add the needed fuel. from what i figure since it is a closed loop system the adding of FI shouldn't be an issue, ofcourse i'll be reading up on bosh cis before i get underway. i just thought this would be a nice add-on. hopefully i can pull this off for under $5k we'll see.

biggest cost will be the custom fabbing of bracket and hardware, but i have friends that'll help in that regard.

thoughts...?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #2 ernie, Oct 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark (mk e) is your man. He has a blown 308 that is making 500+ hp.

Also since you are in So.Cali, you may want to give Carl a call at Blackhorse Motors. Very nice guy, and he has already blown a Mondial. The number is (310) 815-1957.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Blackhorse Motors in Los Angeles is currently ( or just finished) supercharging a Mondial. However, they replaced the CIS with EFI.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    are those supercharged cars the qv's? my lowly 2v doesn't use the k-jetE but the earlier mechanical k-jet, no O2 sensors or motronic ignition. i have the electromotive DIS ignition though. but the CIS i have is basicly a glorified carb.

that's why i'm thinking i can keep the cost down, also i'm not looking for 400+hp just the 250-300hp range. streetable and daily. i don't want to have to worry about axles, CV's and clutchs'.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/products/

i've spent some time looking into these units for another application. parts alone would be about $2500 so figure a 1k more in brackets and hardware on the upper end and i should have a system for under 5k.

just a basic S/C is all i'm looking to do. the CARB # is nice for smog also so i might not have to pull it off for testing.

for brackets, i can use my CAD/CAM software and have a shop mill/cut what i need. setup time will be the biggest cost though.i'll see how doable this is and let you all know of the progress.

6. cossiemetro

cossiemetro Karting

Sep 4, 2005
    essex
    Full Name:
    tony
    keep us upto date m8 as i think a few people would be intrested in the conversion

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #7 Spasso, Oct 19, 2005
    To me Mark Eberharts set up is the one I would like to do, with intercoolers.. Very clean with good numbers, currently over 500 HP.

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher

I looked at vortec when I first started thinking about supercharging mine too…..what I found is that a centrifugal unit gives you all the worst features of turbocharging and supercharging. You will be much happier with a positive displacement type, roots of screw. I had an eaton MP90 on my car for a couple years and it worked quite well. The MP90 has a built in bypass valve (you need a bypass valve with a positive displacement blower) which is nice, but you can get an M90 (that doesn’t) on ebay for a couple hundred bucks.

If you insist on a centrifugal, Paxton would be my choice. They have a gearless planetary that helps flatten the boost curve a bit.

CIS is a real pain to deal with from a tuning stand point and in very flow limited, you really should think about EFI. On a QV at least, just switching to EFI or carbs adds 25hp, add a set of early carb cams and you’ll be at 240 without a blower.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i have a couple of constraints though, bi-anual smog -test only- and i'm not looking for 500hp. 250-300 max, i'am aware of the downsides to the centrifugal blowers. however the roots type adds further hardware and fabrication than i'am looking for.
    i have been talking with some bosch mechanics, and they seem to think it is doable but the unknown is the needed increase in fuel pressure i.e. rrfpr. there are some stand alone systems that will handle that but if they will work with the CIS is yet to be seen. but hey, i like a challange. to be able to come up with a intermediate system that would cost around 5k would be very appeasing to some i think.

vortech is only one unit, i have my eye on ASA also. just trying to track down suppliers and info.

10. ctk

ctk Karting

Jul 2, 2001
    Singapore
    I have QV with the K-jet without the electronics (UK version). The car was built by Koenig and is turbocharged. To supply the additional fuelling required, they used a vacuum-enhanced Warm Up Regulator and an adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator on the fuel return line. It provided the necessary fuel increase but fuel consumption wasn't great.

With so much modern stuff available these days, it really would be less hassle to go digital with EFI and Ignition. If you have a friendly mechanic and machine shop facilities, it shouldn't be too difficult.

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    A porsche freind of mine has a turbo with CIS too, so it can be done....just a lot of screwing around putting the engine at risk getting it right. EFI is just SOOO nice.

Again, IMO the paxton is probably your best bet in centrifugal.

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    What Fcar is that? Oh baby that would look good in my 308 :)

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It's an '84 QV

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i guess i'm the odd bird then, but i'm not looking to go to a stand alone efi system. doing so althogh making the fi route easier would further complicate the smog inspection proccess i have to go thru every other year here in crazy california.

i once had a b7sturbo alpina, but CA drove me to sell outof state becouse they would not smog certify the car. my first engine swap netted me a slew of problems as i went to a modern engine, thus nessetating an upgrade to the newer emmision std's, fuel lines evap the whole thing.

so for me, here in CA iam restricted to keeping it simple. the us version of the k-jet cis already has a vacum warm up regulator so i'm covered there. the pressure regulator would be an additional item but they can be had for less than $200. off the shelf parts, custom fabbed brakets and simple install netting a mild jump in power is all i'm looking to do.

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #15 snj5, Oct 19, 2005
    Great thread - while the supercharger would easily net you 300 hp plus, with your car the entire earlier Ferrari 308 carb system would bolt up for about $3k and you would be at about 240 hp as Mark said; It would feel like a lot more as the Webers have a much better throttle response than the K-jet. Add another $1200 for cams and you are over 260 - 270 depending on where you want the power band. So you would have 0-60 times in the high 6/low 7 second range much like a 3.2. At least to me, the Webers are easier to DIY maintain and more reliable. And you wouldn't be futzing with development numbers on the tuning as this has all been done before.
    This is similar to what I did (I replaced my Kjet Mondial with Webers, picked up close to 30+ hp total, and most in the low end bringing up torque #s and weighs less). The sound is glorious through the eight organ pipes - the previous K-jet sounded like old plumbing. The car now jumps when you hit the throttle as the Weber accel pump jets fire and all eight butterflies open up. It's such an Italian driving experience.
    As to the CARB #, if they are similar to the late model carb'd 308s, then you simply use that year 308 jetting -cheap, available and easy to switch back to a power set - takes about 30 minutes soup to nuts.
    The S/C is the way to go for big hp numbers though, and it has been done several times before. Would also suggest calling FChat sponsor Norwoods for some of their force-fed induction experience - I know they have done at least one Mondial.
    Let us know how it goes, good luck and have fun!

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    He's got an injected 2v, carbs or EFI alone should put him at about 205-210. Early carb cams would bring it to 240ish, P6s for the 260 range. The EFI would pass smog no problem, I'm not sure about any of the other options. I guess it would depend on how high an rpm you can get them to do the test, the higher the better.

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam

Do I understand this right? Carbs from earlier models bolted onto a Mondial 8 2v would get you about 35 HP, for 3k?

18. ctk

ctk Karting

Jul 2, 2001
    Singapore
    I have to say, I have been inspired, encouraged and assisted by many on this site, with warmth, helpfulness and sometimes plain curiousity.

I am in the midst of installing a Coil-on-Plug (COP or coil stick) type ignition with probably a DIS-4 box to replace my original Magnetti Marelli system.

Also getting some kind of system to convert my K-Jet into EFI. The biggest work is the fuel rail because of the throttle body position and (in my case, the intercooler positioning). All othe bits are easy to do or fabricate. I am using mainly BMW or MB EFI bits to make replacement and product reliability better (I hope).

With so much new digital stuff available these days, the costs have dropped tremendously, I am for-going OBD sensors but will tune and burn in maps direct onto the microprocessor chip.

Hope the engine won't blow up! After more than 10 years of ownership, I am getting tired of searching for K-Jet parts and a smelly exhaust.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The other option is to sell the 8 and get a 3.2 instead...

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    probably at least 20+ is what my numbers suggest - MUCH more with cams

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Would agree that the 3.2 is a terrific bargain right now. While biased, I feel it is the best of the Mondials

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think that's true for a QV or 3.2, but I think it should be less for a 2V. A late carb engine is 205, injected 195...so I'd expect 205 I think, 240 with the early carb cams, 260 with p6 cams.

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I believe at least 20, as the flow improves so dramatically and you could richen the mixture a bit over the near stoich K-jet emissions tuning. Should also use an opened up airbox with a K&N of course :) And then there's that trick of retarding the intake cam...
    I do agree that with P-6s you will have 260+. Too bad we never got Philip to dyno his P-6 car...

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Mark,

Do you have the pattern or whatever to make another plenum for people?

Also SNJ watch out for CARB#'s. The EO number is for the unit as applied to specifc cars if I am not mistaken.. There is no supercharger with an EO# for a Ferrari. You better check!

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'm not biased, I agree. I do prefer the lines of the 8 and the QV better, but the bugs were worked out of the 3.2 and it does have enough power. The 8 just makes you drive it harder (which isn't a bad thing).