Supercars confiscated in Switzerland... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Supercars confiscated in Switzerland...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Marcel Massini, Nov 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    good. now they need to put him in jail

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #29 miketuason, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Is this a different seizure to the one reposted here a couple of hours before yours ?

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    All the same. It happened Monday 30 October 2016, at Geneva Airport, Switzerland.
    See thread "Ferrari F12 tdf", as one of the confiscated cars is a yellow tdf.
    No need for three or four different threads.

Marcel Massini

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I think it's great that they got them away from the S.O.B.

However, it saddens me that these companies will even do business with such an individual.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Chances are, the car manufacturers don't do business with "such an individual", and the cars are purchased/dealt with via a third party.

Saying that, the car manufacturers are in the business of selling cars - It's not for them to be the moral Police of the World.

driller1 likes this.
  10. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    For info, even if the cars seized in Paris have already been sold at auction, the trial after the lawsuits started here in France years ago is only due to start begining january 2017.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    So let's review: his entire collection of Supercars is seized in 2011, so, he goes out and purchases another set of Supercars?

This guy is persistent, methinks he'll do the same thing yet again, but more discreetly, given the fact that it appears that whilst the authorities are able to track the cars collectively, detaining him appears to be an issue due to diplomatic immunity.

12. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    He still has some cars that has escape the different seizures. MC12, 918, F50, diablo, another veyron...

13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Have you some pictures ? Where did you see it ?

I know this shipment of cars belongng to him was spotted a few years ago at Vatry Cargo Airport in France. Ths MC12 is probably the one seized later in Paris

http://i30.fastpic.ru/big/2012/0215/ee/14296a87cb47cb2818b9cba19e683aee.jpg

http://i30.fastpic.ru/big/2012/0215/82/d6ace90998852a3a7212373cca81b082.jpg

http://i30.fastpic.ru/big/2012/0215/ef/b469200a6e6f80437478b1b2871dd3ef.jpg

http://i30.fastpic.ru/big/2012/0215/65/d961875a4417542a28f5c9a66a3b1965.jpg

14. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    #39 Thomas Quintin, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

I assume the lawsuits were civil not criminal and the trial is criminal? Not sure how they can sell any assets if there has been no criminal conviction. Unless the civil lawsuits are concluded and damages awarded and cars sold to pay awarded damages? But then French law is likely completely different than US law.

16. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    Yes completely differennt system. But for his case, it's more like criminal case. The lawsuit against him is for "corruption, embezzling public funds, misappropriation of corporate assets, and breach of trust". He risks up to 10 years in jail according to french law.

And, french law allows the state to sell seized items before the end of the procedure.

17. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #42 dcmetro, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    I'm not 100% OK with those seizures...

First because if you want to do justice, you do it for everybody, so all the Oil Sheicks belongings should be seized in the same manner. (Guinea don't buy hundred of billions in High Tech weapons... that's probably a very important factor).

Secondly because Guinea is a sovereign state, he should be responsible in front of his people, and only in front of his people. Can you imagine An african country seizing properties of Berlusconi, of Balkany (Corrupted french politician) or Hillary Clinton because they suspect it could have been bought with black money ? I see it a like some colonial condescension ... Yes Guinea is a dictature, and the dude probably stole the money. But its not our role to decide if it's wrong or bad. Only the Guinean People can decide. And a dictator can be overthrown by an angry people, see the Arab Spring. So let Guinea deal with it.

Anyway...

Thomas, do you have a link to his Instagram account ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjMxhyOJL_Q

Here is a Video of a French TV documentary from 1998 about him. You can see the Yellow F50 at the begining. Probably the same car shown in the airport warehouse in post #38

For french speaking people

18. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Very good point but our governments are just doing it to show that they're "tackling corruption" while underneath the surface a lot more is going on and they're all part of it.

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thumb Up !

20. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Where was he exporting them to? I cant imagine he was taking them home to Africa...

21. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Some of the stories I read of this guy... he comes off as a really nasty individual. Confiscating his cars and hopefully making this guy spend his life in jail is the least they can do :\

22. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Please note that we are talking about Equatorial Guinea and not Guinea. Two different countries.

ZA3879 likes this.
  23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Syria?

24. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Imho, if the Syrian people want a revolution, it is up to them to organise it and choose a different leadership. Who else can decide what is the correct government.
    With Syria, Arab spring etc there is plenty of evidence there were external factors at play.

As for this guy's collection, it is probably good that the authorities say that their country should not play a role in his wealth export/laundring actions. I would be interested in where the proceedings from the auctions go to though.

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't want to distract the thread too much, but having lived in Africa (Rwanda/Botswana and South Africa), the governments often don't even allow businesses to create new ways of making money, creating jobs etc. Unless you grease the right palms. Dealt with it for plenty of years, but it simply won't happen unless you pay them with big bags of money. The poorer the country the worse they are with bribes.

Africa could, and should, be the richest continent out there.