Superautomatic Coffee Machine - Jura E8 | FerrariChat

Superautomatic Coffee Machine - Jura E8

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by ASK328, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My wife and I have had a Jura for 14 years and loved it. We sent it back for repair and they said they cant due to parts, age, etc. We didn’t really take that good care of it and it lasted for 14 years - no complaints.

They are giving us a credit on a new machine - I think we have decided on a Jura E8.

Does anyone have any experience?

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'm not a super automatic fan but it sounds like they treated you right. Let us know how it performs.

3. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I had an E9 that gave me over 9 years acceptable espresso, until an ‘error 8’ message did it in.
    I used it at work so I was happy to compromise quality for convenience, but decided to try something else in hopes of better espresso
    I replaced it last month with a Monza super automatic from “Chris coffee“ (no affiliation; I can recommend them for their customer service)
    It is pricier than a jura but has a more control over different parameters (eg grind coarseness, dosing, preinfusion). I think that it is capable of producing a better espresso because of this, but it requires more effort to get it dialed in.
    Depending on your mission/budget, it may be worth considering. However, a Jura credit is pretty sweet. I’d be curious to hear about your experience with whatever machine you select.

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    E8 is a pretty nice Jura. It works fine - I have earlier versions at my homes - but my sister has an E8 and I've used it a bunch. Its perhaps my favorite Jura for its simplicity.

I will say that a few months ago when I (once again) broke one of my Jura's (by pouring water into the beans side in my half-awake stupidity), they offered the "upgrade credit/lower price" on a few machines. I have been offered that each of the three times I have sent in a machine for repair over the past 15 years. And each time I quickly determine that their "deal" is not a deal at all (meaning even the discounted price of the machine wasn't great and I could get a different machine that did what I wanted for less on the web). In the end they were able to repair my unit for far less money and thus I didn't have to take the "upgrade deal".

When looking at these machines, since I don't use the frother and don't have 10 people making different types of coffee out of it each day, I found that the super simple (and much cheaper) machines were perfect for me. Fwiw, I froth milk every day, but use one of those stand alone frother's (nespresso Aerocinno) rather than the wand/spout on the Jura. So for me, I would buy the A1 or ENA Micro and make great espresso easily each morning. But if the extra $1000 or so isn't an issue to you, the E8 is pretty cool. (how much do they want for the E8 after taking into account your "trade in"?)

BOKE likes this.
  5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    After getting frustrated with other brands, we made the switch to Jura and have both a Z6 and the new S8. If you make a lot of milk-based or specialty drinks, the Z6 is the better choice. If you don’t, the S8 is great with the more compact size and new and improved touchscreen interface. If you could combine the capacity of the Z6 with the size and user interface of the S8, that would be the best of both worlds. wholelattelove.com has some great reviews and comparisons. Hope that helps.

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'm still rocking my LaSpaziale Mini Vivaldi II and MACAP M4 grinder. If anybody is interested in a traditional setup, check out Chris' Coffee. They've always treated me right.

7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Update to my earlier post. I checked this morning and the "old" Jura's I have are the circa 2005 E8 and they work just fine for us.

8. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have had it for a few weeks now / chrome e8.

The machine is amazing, love it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  9. Miarobi

Miarobi Rookie

Dec 24, 2019
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mia Robbinson
    I have a good experience using a coffee machine Mr. Coffee Café Barista. I decided to write about it because in the messages above I did not see a mention of this model. Does anyone else use such a coffee machine beside me?

The Mr. Coffee Café Barista is known for being one of the best espresso machines under $ 200 due to its high-performance capability and durability. This machine is semi-automatic and in addition to espresso, can also make cappuccino and latte. It also has a self-cleaning function. But in addition to the pros, I can say about one drawback - sometimes produces watery blends.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We gave up on fancy espresso machines once we discovered the simple DeLonghi EC155. Lasted about 10 years thus far; used every single day we're at home. Makes a serviceable double espresso. We don't use the frother, though, as I drink my espresso neat and the wife uses a stick frother to froth half and half with cinnamon and cocoa powder for her upside-down ghetto mocha.
    T

11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'll take your simple and move all the way to "lazy"...I have begun using the "lazy man's cappuccino maker" of late. Its this Tassimo "pod" system that actually uses steam and gets crema in the espresso and foam in the milk. I've stopped using our Jura in the mornings due to laziness and this thing!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You talked that up a while back. I assume from your post, it's still holding up and delivering good java...T

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    still working. I'd say 'adequate' cappuccino. Cheap and easy, but not great (nor pricey).

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I really need to get an espresso machine. Simple and robust.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

$100 on Amazon! I’m shopping!

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bought another one for the office about 6 years ago. It's still chugging. It's a nice little set up...T

NbyNW likes this.
  17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

^ Bought it. Feeling cheap with estimated taxes due.

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Those little Jura bastards are $800. Going cheap with good coffee!

Edit - Guess that’s allowed thru the profanity filter.

19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Should have it tomorrow! Can’t wait. Think I have some illy espresso coffee but should get a fresh grind.
    Our standard morning routine is French press. Good stuff. I use a burr grinder each day.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    EC155's what I have as well, my fellow Tom of America. In these times of disposable gadgets, that's an impressive length of service. As you know the score, expert tips most appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

NbyNW likes this.
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I haven't done my initial run through 2019 taxes. I will probably be drinking Folgers by the time I do...T

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tips?
    1. Don't pack the filter too tight.
    2. Don't use the finest grind.
    3. Use good water
    4. We like Bustelo
    5. Descale twice per year.

1. and 2. are just our attempt not to over tax the machine.

T

NbyNW likes this.
  23. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is 4th of 4 payments for the tax season. Ugh. Getting ready to file again. At least I’ll be set in the coffee department.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Oh yeah, couple more. We have both 1 oz and 2 oz filters. I prefer drinking more 1 oz pulls vs half the number of 2 oz pulls. Get yourself a good sturdy shot glass and pull into that for good measuring. Avoids "overpulling". Our favorite stainless steel shot glass is 1 oz. Make sure to clean the handle & apparatus that holds the filter, at least 2x per annum, especially the perforated metal disk, which can build up tar and block flow. I clean the perforated metal disk with a toothbrush, then burn off any residual tar blocking the homes by placing it over a burner on the stove top. Don't overdo it, or you'll warp it. Finally, forget the froth wand and use a little handheld wand! Much easier!
    T

NbyNW likes this.
  25. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks. Just got one of these for frothing, first use tomorrow:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074ZL35DH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tomc likes this.