Super Mondial | FerrariChat

Super Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sjmst, Aug 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    And 0 bids

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    "I spent $6373.89 on new tire (original spec)"

Dang!

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You see why I call this "Super Mondial"

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yep, and this car had a faulty ignition switch that stranded the car in the man's driveway the week after he got it!

Barney sent me to fix it and thus started my Ferrari career!

Gentlemen, don't you realize that this adds provenance? Surely that has to add about $1.43 to the value. <very big grin>

-Peter (still one of my favorite colors...)

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Wow. I guess he subscribes to the theory "you don't ask you don't get."
    Imagine being the uneducated purchaser who buys that THEN realizes what the car should have gone for.

That a factory color?

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I think it's Blu Chiaro Metallic? Haven't seen the car in twenty-four years, but if it is, it's the same color as my old Mondial QV Coupe that Birdman gave to his wife for Christmas. Looks a hell of a lot better in person...

-Peter

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Don't knock it Sam. When we finish recovering the leather on the front seats on mine, you and I will have two of the nicest red/tan 8's in the country. Hell, maybe they'll be worth $75 bucks more than they are right now. :)

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I LOVE that color. If I found a decent Mondial 3.2 in that color (coupe), I would buy it in a heartbeat.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #10 snj5, Aug 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do think it is that nice metallic 'Birdman' blue, just under an odd light filter or something. They do look better in person.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have to tell you guys, it is a very handsome color in person. I'm pretty sure that's Azzurro Metallico (metallic light blue), same color as our Mondial that I bought from Lolaman last year. It's pretty and gets a lot of looks. Just last night my wife and I were out cruising in it on our way to dinner (yes, she was driving! I was merely a passenger) and we got a few thumbs up. Awesome car and color.

However, I would love to know how I can start an alignment shop that can charge $400 for an alignment. My alignment cost $70.

Then there's the $6,000 tire. Hmmmm. THAT will get you to switch out the TRX wheels, huh? ;)

Lolaman doesn't approve, but we put 348 wheels on ours. Looks cooler and uses modern rubber. Low speed steering effort is higher though, and it tramlines quite a bit on a "rutted" road.

Birdman

12. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hey, Erik, let's see those seats when done. Why recover and not restore?
    Took Mondi out for a long drive in 100 degree weather. A/C kept us from frying but still not "modern" comfort level. I've also got a post in the tech section about the coolant overflow problem.
    I say it again, off the line the Mondial 8 is not fast (though it SOUNDS fast) but once moving it is very responsive and the power just seems to be endless.
    The Super Mondial may be a nice color, but those pics do it no justice.
    Also, Carbon drove my Mondial yesterday. Didn't ask him which he liked better. ;)

13. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    Well, seeing as I live in Raleigh, I thought I would pop over and have a look in person.

The car is VERY, VERY nice. As SNJ5 pointed out, the blue is much more striking in person. The interior is all but perfect with only a small stain on the headliner. The seats show VERY little wear, no cracks or pulls in the dash. I only saw one spot of rust, on the drivers door, and it was about the size of a pencil eraser. Over the years as the inevitable rust showed up he either repaired or replaced the affected panels. All the rubber seals and moldings look new and fit perfectly. All body seams are straight and even. The guy has owned it since new and has taken excellent care of it, he really loves his car.

The $6000 for tires is a little misleading. He did indeed recently pay $6000 but in addition to the tires he had the wheels stripped and refinished and he had a new A/C compressor and dryer installed. All work since new has been done by the selling dealer, Foreign Cars Italia, in Greensboro, NC. and he appears to have all receipts since day one.

The bad news.

Really needs timing belts. They were last done about 5-6 years ago. It also qualifies for "Garage Queen" status. Ferrari replaced the engine in 1985 and since that time he has only put about 15,000 miles on it.

Is he asking too much? Probably. But I find it hard to fault him for that. As he has owned it since new, there is a certain amount of emotional attachment at work here. If I were to sell my 1973 TR-6 that I bought new in '73 I am quite sure it also would be "overpriced".

Disclaimer: I have never seen the car or the owner before 11:00 this morning

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I've seen the car in person.

Frankly, the color is very nice. The interior leather, when I saw it, looked very good. I was disturbed that it was being left in the open parking lot (100+ degree hot sun), and asked it to be pulled indoors -- out of respect for the owner and future owner.

Picture doesn't do justice to the blue. The car belongs on the Cote d'Azur !

-Daniel

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Fellas, the breakdown of money spent on the car makes a little more sense if read like this:

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #16 Birdman, Aug 14, 2005
  17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Paul,
    The timing belts on a Mondial are even easier than a 308. (Access is a little better, IMO. ) If the car just needs the belts replaced due to age and doesn't need a full major (i.e. valve adjustment), the timing belts are a one to two day job for an amateur mechanic like myself, probably only 6-8 hours to an expert.

As for the rust in the doors, this is common on Mondials and 308s as we all know. Not a biggie to fix. Ours had some rust on the lower doors, and more than just bubbles I might add. It ended up that it looked a lot worse than it was. It didn't go through the door skin. They were ground down to metal, filled to smooth, primed, repainted and clear-cloated. It was a couple days of work for me and Verell and they look like new. I also opened and repaired/ POR-15 sealed the INSIDE of the doors so it hopefully won't come back. But I admit that I am a weenie and I simply won't drive her in the rain. That's why I have a Toyota. Probably the best thing that can be done to prevent the rust in doors of these things is to replace the rubber at the bottom of the windows to keep the water out. It's on my list of things to do....but like I said, I don't drive in the rain, so it's a low priority. (The trick is to keep moving at 80 MPH so the rain never hits the car!)

Birdman

18. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    #18 Dino 208gt4, Aug 14, 2005
  19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    They're cracked. Leather, like timing belts, is a wear item. No biggie, they lasted 23 years...

20. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ah...

21. TomDial

TomDial Rookie

Aug 6, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #21 TomDial, Aug 14, 2005
  22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, the cool people anyway!

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Maybe, but the purists have the originals. Hell, I've got two sets of them one on the car, one in the garage.

24. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    True.

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    You know, it takes all kinds - and they are all here.
    :)

rt
    Rogue Mondialisti