Sunvisor clips | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sunvisor clips

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Godspeed!, Feb 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I would like four, thanks!

2. OB1CNOB

OB1CNOB Rookie

Nov 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joel
    Please put me down for two (2).
    Thanks, Joel

3. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave
    I have a C4 owner who is after a pair. Are you going to make them? What is the price? I can also make them no problem with rapid prototyping. If you do not want to make them I can make a batch. Please let us know if you are dropping this "project" so then I will run off 50 clips.
    John

4. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Two for me..Thanks.

5. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    A fellow Ferraristi in europe told me the sun visor clips are the same as the Lancia Ypsilon, model year 1996-2003. They are still available and look the same.

Hope this is helpfull, Jan

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jan
    How does one get Lancia Ypsilon parts in the US?
    Ken

7. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Ken,

I can ask my friend in the Netherlands, he runs a Fiat/Alfa/Lancia dealership. I will ask him how the part exactly looks in the parts manual of a Ypsilon and I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Regards, Jan

8. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Jan
    A photo from the Lania parts book would be great to see if they really are the same. Please post here when you get them. Dimensions would also be helpful. Interesting that they are using a steel tool mold that would be 40 years old to make these clips for a modern Lancia. Back in the 70s they would have used these clips on more than Ferrari. Maybe Fiat etc but which model? I might visit an old Fiat/Alfa?Lancia parts guy to see if he recognises the part. In the mean time I will get a price for me to make them using rapid prototyping technology. Maybe cheaper than a new Lancia parts price with the associated corporate profits etc. It will take about 2 weeks to make a batch of 50 clips which will be stronger than the originals.
    John

9. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
    John,

I am looking here in Switzerland with a Lancia/Fiat/Ferrari dealer, also owner of the c/4 #16 001, if the Ypsilon clips will fit our c/4 and 400 and how much it will cost. But this dealer told me, that he too has his holydays now until next Sunday.

Regard, Jacques

10. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    John, Jacques,

I will call my friend today. The same clibs have been used on a Fiat 400 aswell. I will keep you all posted.

Regards, Jan

11. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I spoke with the old Fiat/Alfa/Ferrari guy yesterday. He told me he has some old visor clips from an old Fiat that are exactly the same as our clips. (He personaly owns a Ferrari 400 so he knows these cars) BUT he only has 1 set left, so not much good for everyone. So we either make new ones using rapid prototyping, search wrecking yards for old Fiat clips or hopefully these new Lancia clips are OK.
    John

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    John

Any idea of how much you would charge for a set? Seems as though there must be interest just on this forum for a couple dozen sets at least.

13. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Please give me a few days to figure out a cost. It will depend on whether I make the parts individually or make a mold to cast them. To make the mold costs $ but then each unit produced is cheaper. I could make a mold to make say 4 units at a time. The silicone mold is good for 25 cycles before it starts to produce parts with some surface irregularities. Thus a mold might be good for 100 units. On another matter someone asked me about the U shaped bit that is in the actual visor itself. This is the bit that slides into the bracket (the visor clip that this thread is talking about) attached to the roof. Do people want that U shaped bit as well???
    John

14. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    #39 Godspeed!, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    John /others

Well, we went through some interesting changes at work.............thought the scan file was lost...........etc etc. The scan file is found, now have to see what the cost will be to run a batch of these off. But honestly, if someone out there wants to take this over........that's fine. My goal was and still is to give back to the forum by selling these at my cost which should be quite reasonable. The first samples were done at work but I can not expect them to let me run off a large batch so I have to contact a guy who has a similar machine. Again, these are "printed" on a 3d printer in abs plastic.

The file is an STL file which the printer reads. But the same file can be used to have molds made for injection molding. LIke I said before, all the work is done. Scanning and cleaning up the scan takes considerable time. I have this file and if someone can take it and run with it, I will gladly hand it over.

There is a company "protomold" (google it for details) who will take this file (will also provide IGES and Solidworks part file), make the mold and provide the parts, injection molded as with the originals. All web based, good people to deal with.

I should be able to call my guy about printing a batch of maybe 30 off white and 16 or so black. But again, I can e-mail the file to you John or anyone else and you can contact Protomold directly. Just let me know, glad to give back...............

Godspeed!
    Dave

15. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave
    Good to hear from you. It is no trouble for me to make these things and the STL file might be useful for me. I will calculate the cost to make these things and maybe you do the same. If one is much cheaper, then we go that route. I am the same as you. I am just doing this to help people, not make a business. I just have easy access to probably the best guys in the world doing rapid prototyping (RP) so the things I supply will be really good. They do projects for Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, medical equipment manufacturers etc. They have many different types of RP technologies including SLS, SLA, FDM, 3-D Printing, DMD, etc, so we can choose the best method to get the lowest price and best product. Anyway I will get a price and then let people decide what we do.
    John

16. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #41 365GTC/4, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    OK sorry for the delay but I had some computer problems. I will make these clips via a silicone mold, so Dave (Godspeed) I do not need the STL file. I will take the clips off my car which are in perfect shape and use them as the master. Making the mold is expensive but after that the production is relatively cheap. So I can supply these for US$42 each. I will make a batch of cream coloured ones to start with. I will match the colour of the clips from my car.
    So please let me know URGENTLY if you want me to proceed. I will then start the process this week and have them ready by the end of next week or the week after. Now I will be in LA/San Fran on the 1st Sept till 20th Sept, so I can meet you guys then if you are in that area. I can also post them from there (LA OR San Fran) to you USA based guys. Payment can be via cheque to a Ferrari guy in LA. (dromer on FChat or another guy I know in LA) I just have to ask them if it is OK for people to send cheques to them on my behalf. (I live in Melbourne Australia and transfer of fsmall amounts foreign currency incurs big % bank fees and charges.)
    So please post your ORDERS here. Please indicate the number you want.
    Thanks
    John

17. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I understand that the 400i might have black ones. I can make say 10 black ones if people want. So when you reply PLEASE state if you want black or cream.
    Thanks
    John

18. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    John,

That's fine. Actualy the finished parts should be closer to the originals than the printed ones. Best of luck with that!

Godspeed!
    Dave

19. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    One of the C4 owners in Switzerland has confirmed that the Lancia clips are the same BUT they are white in colour. They are only $6 each, however you have to find a Lancia dealer. Now here is the issue. I do no want to spend money making a mold only for people to say nah we will go with the much cheaper white ones. Now I can make them in any colour so I can make them in exactly the same colour as those on my car ie a cream/beige colour and I will also make some black ones. Please let me know URGENTLY if you guys want to buy the cream/beige or black ones off me for $42. (I still find it amazing that they are still using a mold that is almost 40 years old for the Lancia clip.)
    Thanks
    John

20. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    John
    I need one black but will take a second as spare. Price is acceptable for a custom made F-part. I'm not sure who you want checks sent to. Please clarify, maybe via PM. Does PayPal exist downunder? I think PayPal does the currency conversion without a big fee, but I may be wrong on that one.
    Ken

21. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Ken
    I have friends in LA that can take the cheques. Hopefully they will not flee to Brazil with my $42 ! I still have to decide if enough people want to spend this $42 verses $6 for white Lancia ones. The set-up cost is not insignificant so I want to make sure there is demand first. When there are enough people I will let you know via a PM who and where to send the cheques.
    John

22. mgsamman

mgsamman Rookie

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle / DC / Dubai
    interested in a pair of cream sunvisor clips

23. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I only have replys for 2 black ones and 2 cream ones. I need 10 times that number to make this exercise worthwhile. Please let me know if all you guys who expressed interest months ago are still interested.
    Thanks
    John

24. lmaldoon

lmaldoon Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    La Quinta CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    i'll still take a pair of cream clips

25. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed