Summer Juicing Challenge | FerrariChat

Summer Juicing Challenge

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by desmomini, Jun 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #1 desmomini, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, a challenge for myself.

Last month, I was at a friend's place, when I noticed him putting fruits and vegetables into a juicer. He explained he got it a few years back, after seeing the documentary FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD, and since then, he juices regularly as part of his diet.

Intrigued, I ordered the same juicer (a Breville) on the spot from Amazon. I rewatched the documentary for inspiration, and I decided that I will juice at least one meal a day for the remainder of the summer. Additionally, I will limit the meat, processed foods and alcohol, and get in at least 30 (preferably 60) minutes of exercise each single day (no skipping days) and try to exercise twice a day if possible. Nothing crazy, maybe an hour hike in the morning and 30 minutes on the elliptical in the afternoon.

I've been doing this for 4 days, and I'm stunned at the amount of energy I feel and how much better my sleep has been already.

Realizing now I had gotten into a bad habit of having a couple drinks each evening, mainly out of boredom. Now, I'm replacing my evening rum and coke/bourbon and ginger/wine with vegetable juice (same sense of ritual/habit, same feeling of unwinding with a reward). I'll still consume alcohol, but when appropriate - at dinner out with my wife, with friends at a get-together, etc., instead of every evening.

It's amazing how little, easy changes can make such a difference. Below is a before/after of last night's dinner/this morning's breakfast:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The title of the thread made it sound like you and others here were going to do steroids this summer as competition, LOL!

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Good for you on the juicing !!

Big fan of juicing ...been doing it for years. I juice 3x a week, and Its always as a lunch replacement and add in a scope of protein.

A stick of ginger the size of your thumb and two lemons with half skin peeled and one full red apple with skin is a great way to get your blood levels away from the acidic state. I do this one once a week ( with no protein )

Many good recipes online to mix it up , and we try to stay as green as possible.

4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #4 Streetsurfer, Jul 2, 2017
  5. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I am amazed at the sustained energy and general well-being I feel whenever I juice and eat clean.

Today, breakfast was 2 eggs with tomatoes and kale, water and coffee. Lunch was a juice of kale, whole radishes, apples and a cucumber, netting about 20 oz. Then a snack around 2pm of greek yogurt, honey and almonds. Around 4 pm, I noticed (a) I'm not hungry, and (b) I had the same feeling I would get if I had slept for 12 hours straight (when actually, I slept from 2 am to 8 am.)

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Eating clean is one thing, juicing is quite another.

Clean eating has no end of healthy benefits.

Juicing (to me) makes no sense. You drink pure fructose, which is highly caloric, and could even lead to diabetes. And yet you get very little fiber because of the de-pulper.

You might as well drink a tall glass of V8 juice. Which comes in a variety of tasty flavors, including Low-Sodium Hot & Spicy. Which asks for some vodka. But I digress.

Just eat lots of fruits and veg. Don't juice. The roughage and fiber will actually make you feel more full.

Matt

7. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The reduced fiber is actually one of the prime benefits to juicing. With the reduced fiber, the demand for blood supply to serve the digestive tract is oreduced. The load on the digestive system is reduced and it gets a rest. That surplus blood, diverted elsewhere, can then be better used in other parts of the body for clean-up and repair of damaged or diseased tissue. Consuming the condensed nutrients of fresh juice aids that process, and that it is all much more easily digested and assimilated, all the more.

In anticipation of juicing, I started last week with smoothies. The garden greens are finally filling in and some able to be harvested daily.

Some tips.
    •Re-juice your pulp to get an extra few ounces of condensed nutrients.
    •For juices of higher sugar content, you can exercise for ten minutes to help avoid a potential spike, if prone to them.
    •Juicing larger quantities may require cleaning of the strainer a time or two in between.
    (My batch netted 4+qts-cleaned my compact jucer's basket twice during the juicing)
    •Do apples or other tough skinned foods toward the end, as the skins can clog the screen.
    •Do some lemon or other citrus last to help pre-clean the strainer basket/screen.
    •Zest is good for us-include some organically grown citrus skins.
    •Prepare your sink of dish water before juicing, and after, place the juicer parts in the water asap. This helps keep the cellulose from drying on and staining as much. For accumulated stains, a food oil soaked cloth or paper towel can be applied to soften the pigmentation and cellulose for easier cleaning.
    •Don't use abrasives on juicer's plastic components.
    •Vacuum sealing your jars will help extend the flavor and storage life.
    •Dont forget to stay well hydrated with water and to help do so, include some salt now and then. Good hydration assists the cleansing and repair that the juicing is contributing to.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That sounds extremely un-scientific.

If I read that another way, if I don't eat fiber, I'll have excess blood supply, and therefore higher blood pressure.

Matt

9. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Thats one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. You are not drinking pure fructose and no it does not lead to diabetes. Natural sugars from fresh fruit/veg juice is assimilated and processed by our bodies very differently than say a snickers bar.

V8 juice is processed trash. Much like any juice or product from a grocery store. They are all pasteurized either via heat pasteurization or HPP (Higher pressure pascalization) which kills a vast majority of the nutrients, natural enzymes, and probiotics in the drinks. Not to mention the products have to be formulated with a very low ph and high acidic value to be conducive to the HPP or pasteurization process.

While yes you should include plenty of fruits and veg in your diet there is no comparison to the amount of nutrients you can get from a single juice. For things such as inflammation as an example consuming the appropriate amount of fresh turmeric, ginger, and catalysts to allow for the proper assimilation of their effects is not realistic in a whole food form.

Juicing if done properly with the proper formulations and juicing methods works. It cures illnesses and far more effectively than pharmaceutical drugs. Nothing else can bring your body to a more alkaline state - which diseases cannot thrive in.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Oh, you've read some of my posts before...

:)

Matt

11. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #11 Streetsurfer, Jul 16, 2017
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is the difference between "juicing" and throwing the same ingredients in a a vitamix and drinking it?

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You get dietary fiber the Vitamix way.

:)

Matt