Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | Page 53 | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think a good amount could be brought back, but the expense would be what hinders most. I think most were before super complex computers/electronics like modern cars so not as much a parts or tooling issue. The McLaren F1s could be sent back to McLaren for full rebuilds without issue. It would cost in the hundreds of thousands each, but they're worth enough to make it worthwhile.

2. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is a good explanation. But still hard to believe anyone would let these cars rot like that. Use the proceeds for some public purpose...help the poor, there must something better.

3. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1303 trmather, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
    Certainly true enough in the F1's case. I live in hope that #005's escape is repeated in the near future.

Most of the cars being MB's bought in bulk and the like will probably never be saved, although some do seem to end up in auctions to the common folk in Brunei occasionally.

These auction videos are pretty well known.

I guess it's purely because there are just so many cars that even auctions like this barely scratch the surface

4. basman007

basman007 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    EU
    Full Name:
    Basman
    Hey man, welcome in this thread. Thanks for posting the RR, love those Limo's :p

5. basman007

basman007 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    EU
    Full Name:
    Basman
    #1305 basman007, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    That's not entirely correct. I know that a few key members of the family do know what's there and even have prevented cars from being sold in recent years. Sadly they are not in a very powerfull position. Some carnuts still, but probably not as crazy as we are/I am... ;)

6. basman007

basman007 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    EU
    Full Name:
    Basman
    Good to see people still finding and posting in this thread :)
    Allthough I haven't logged in here or on SCN for a year, my passion for this collection and the special cars is still very much alive.

7. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    Absolutely agree with your post, plus I am glad that you have logged in again, since your reputation when it comes to the Brunei topic is widely known and appreciated.

8. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Does anyone have any more photos of the yellow Lamborghini Countach Anniversary in the yellow room?

It is RHD, so one of only three made in RHD in this colour, so really rare!!

It is in several of the yellow room photos, but not very clearly?

Thank you everyone - great thread

Robert

9. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    Most definitely! Looks like Prince Marteen is one of them who has a weakness for exclusive supercars. However, instead of driving one-off coach-built automobiles like the several Ferraris, RR's and AMG's which are parked (and probably rotting away) in the hangars of the Royal family, they are purchasing new toys.

10. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany

Pic1: Converted by Trasco Cars or directly built by Mercedes?
    Pic2: Looks like the car is equipped with seats from the SL (R129).
    Pic3: Maybe this is the SL73 AMG that is parked in front of the F1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pic 4: Not a single XKR, only XKs.

11. mercedes-c140-fan

Apr 7, 2016
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Bernhard
    Pic2: These are probably the extended rollbars of the a124 which were also used in the A140.

Pic3: Not all of the SL are 73s and they have a few in yellow-red. But it could be the same car like in the brochure (which i am still looking for on ebay)

Greetings
    Bernhard

12. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    I really do not think it matters which cars/which colours/which chassis numbers/which specs. We have arrived at the point that,purely of the volume of the cars in the garage,the family will either just let them rot away,or ,may I say dump them into the market. I still believe that their aquisition of top end /classic cars was simply to dispose of wealth,and ,yes, they were/are a very small part of the money they have pumped into international real estate. There are bigger fish in that market,and the cars are now..small fry ?

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Basman, glad to see you posting here again. Your PM box is full.

I'd love to see the collection as a whole before they dump them into the market if that ever happens. It would be an incredible sight to see the shear number of those types of cars together before being broken apart and hidden away in someone elses garage to be rarely if ever seen again.

If anyone knows a way I could visit and see the collection solely for viewing purposes please let me know...

14. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Unfortunately not.

Those pictures were taken by s friend of mine back in 2001 when he was given permission to look at the cars that was gonna be auctioned.
    He only spent about an hour and skipped many parts of the garage.

It's a miracle that those printed pictures in the photo album survives. They were already lost a couple of times, and sadly the original film negatives were destroyed.

I also have seen it since last year but didn't really know that I was gold.

Five days ago he told me to take cellphone pics and upload them to my Instagram.

Turns out three or the McLaren F1s are unicorn pictures., as well as the other limited production cars (those Bentley something and Aston Idunnowhat).

Interesting garage. I hope someday we can all see the complete collection of truly magnificent automotive masterpieces.

Cheers,
    Taffy

15. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've had a huge interest in the Brunei cars for a long time and your contributions on sc.net have been amazing so thank you.

Are you able to expand on exactly what cars they may have prevented being sold and the reasons behind that?

16. gtgtgtgt

gtgtgtgt Karting

Dec 5, 2010
    That is me who wrote that and I visited Dauer in 2001. 2nd from the left here :D http://www.m5board.com/articles/germany2/images/75.jpg

Dauer made a great presentation for us and at a later poitn we udnerstood why since he sold a one EB110, oen EN110SS and one 962 to Sweden around the same timeframe :D

A little video from our trip back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53K0TNcHxMI

17. gtgtgtgt

gtgtgtgt Karting

Dec 5, 2010
    Speaking of EB110 this is what the factory looked like a year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7kTyC3p1g

18. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Hi Gustav,

Thanks for the link regarding Your trip to Dauer.

Cheers,
    Taffy

19. basman007

basman007 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    EU
    Full Name:
    Basman
    #1319 basman007, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Hey, thanks :)

I know of several coachbuilt Bentleys, Ferrari's and special edition AMG's that were moved to their houses. Reason being is that they liked the cars in the nineties and want to keep them. Which isn´t as easy as it sounds, since ownership of the cars was transferred to a couple different state owned companies after the economic collapse. One of the R129 was actually pulled from auction.

20. marko.urbac

marko.urbac Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Good to see you. Glad you are still posting. Welcome back! ;)

21. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Good to see you here as well! Still following your Instagram account and I can't thank you enough for all the photos you have shared and still sharing! ;)

22. sucas

sucas Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    I've been very curious about this collection for quite some time and I've searched on and off about it throughout the years, but I don't think I've ever stumbled upon this thread. Very interesting read, managed to read quite a lot of it in the last few days... I'm surprised that they don't seem to stop collecting cars even after their financial troubles (maybe they weren't really serious or bad)

basman's collection of pics have outdated links and I can't find any of them still on SC.net. Is there another place that collects these pictures? It would be interesting to have a place that gathers them all...

23. sucas

sucas Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    Has this W126 been here? Not really knowledgeable on Mercedes but I think I got the model right. Don't recall seeing it here, or maybe it was posted, but links expired.

http://i.imgur.com/MqKu6sI.jpg

Smejwajej02 likes this.
  24. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Taffy's Instagram profile has lots of pics you can start with... ;)
    Follow this link: https://www.instagram.com/taffy_c_s_145/

25. sucas

sucas Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    But they're not cataloged. Thinking of doing such myself. It would, however, be a waste of resources if something similar is online already.