Stress of your first ferrari...how did you handle it? | FerrariChat

Stress of your first ferrari...how did you handle it?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

So i have had the TR for a few months now. I love it but sometimes the stress of driving it prevents the enjoyment.
    Let me explain: bumps, pothole, idiots changing lanes without blinkers, trying not to scrape it going in and out of steep garages, reverse uphill parking tonight at the restaurant (that really got me)... not to mentiom any little noise etc

Doug demuro said ferraris are point a to point a cars and im starting to believe it...

How do u/did u manage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJP likes this.
  2. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Lol I just bought one it's on the way hopefully I'm not going to hate it sounds like it's not enjoyable.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    A 360 wish I could afford a TR

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Well urs doesnr have heavy steering or manual gearbox it should help lol

5. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I hope so lol my Aston is a blast to drive hope I can say the same for the 360

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Drive it and enjoy it. If it breaks, fix it. If it is running well, don't complain. Try not to get caught up in all the stuff. Although it is a Ferrari, in the end it is just a car. ENJOY IT!!!

doltond likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

My wife says u are right lol

doltond likes this.
  8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Immersion or exposure therapy. The more you drive it, the less you'll worry. And, if that doesn't work, at least you've had the pleasure of driving a Ferrari.
    T

doltond likes this.
  9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, its the immersion therapy thing. You get used to the difference of driving a Ferrari and learn where the fun is.

There are a few things one just kind of gives up on. I still find driving my 44 inch high 308 in stop-and-go rush hour freeway traffic too terrifying to do it willingly. Likewise, the car just sticks out too much to park it for a protracted visit to a shopping mall. I avoid both of these things.

Give me a errand though, where there is a backroad way to get there, and I am all over it with the Ferrari. I take it often on runs to Home Depot or Safeway, but always seem to end up at a store a long way from home.

10. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

For sure! Your 2nd and 3rd so on will make it even better. Not a joke, maybe it's like kids...haha

11. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    After a while, you will find good routines.

You will figure out pleasant drives where people don't act too crazy, and you know you can park the car in a safe spot when you arrive at your destination.

In time, you will also learn more about what makes you happy. Do you love making a big entrance in front of your friends at posh parties? Do you enjoy solitude and quiet as you drive by the coast? Does a mundane chore become exhilarating to you if you drive an exotic car?

I have a 308 and a Mondial. I've had my 308 for nearly a year, and it is still exciting. I drive the Mondial to work, to parties, to the Country Club, and even for grocery runs. I still look forward to each drive.

Buckwest likes this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Good points! Right now i enjoy each drive but although i dont mind the crowd i much rather enjoy her quietly so to speak;)

doltond likes this.
  13. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    For me it was a realization a number of years back, I own the car it doesn't own me...

14. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Yes, the more you drive it the more confident you will become. You find out it's just a car and you can't control other drivers just like when you are in any other car. As for parking, scratches and related issues, getting the car fully wrapped definitely is a stress reliever. It's worth every penny. If you worry about bumping another car while parking or getting paint chips or light scratches, then get it wrapped. I worry a lot less now and also don't have to spend much time cleaning the car. Swirl marks melt away in sun/heat. It's made the Ferrari experience so much more fun.

Back'n'Black likes this.
  15. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    I disagree with Doug DeMuro. I have a 360 that I daily drove for 2yrs to/from work in traffic. I also have a 308 that is my Point-A to Point-A weekend fun car.
    Get a good mechanic and don't stress over it. It's a car. Drive it! The more you drive it the more you'll get used to all of the idiosyncrasies of the vehicle.
    I admit that I definitely drive both F-cars more defensively than my family SUV to keep an eye out for oblivious people.
    Oh, and never race the Honda Civic V-Tec rev'ing next to you at the traffic light. ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 and Buckwest like this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

I hear you. Well right now i am definitely planning on getting a 3m coat on it. It's unavoidable for a 30 year old car to have some chips here and there but im thinking of doing a paint correction detail and after that i will be less stressed.
    Its really a pleasure to drive her in nice california back roads that i want to make sure to ease my mind so i enjoy her!

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Today i went from a proper drive on road 137 here in the south bay. Lots of very tight corner, and more subtle sweepers.
    The TR was on rails and performed very well. Made me enjoy it.
    The steering is direct and exciting ; unfortunately the very tight corners are not really enjoyable bc the steering is so heavy. The car is totally capable of taking them with pace which is what is needed to enjoy it but with many cyclists and oncoming traffic wasn't about to push it.
    Slowly but surely overcoming the bad experiences and finding my niche with the car

18. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...It doesn't matter, and even if he did, it still doesn't matter.

There's a fellow in Marin who usually drives his GTO with such abandon that he sometimes bends it...there is a point at which the cars become so valuable nothing one can do makes them 'worth less'...

For us mere mortals, Agreed Upon Insurance is The Silver Bullet,

...cars are for the owners and the enjoyment in the moment.

Let go, enjoy the drive, smile.

Tomorrow isn't guaranteed, not even promised.

paulchua likes this.
  19. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    For me and my 330 GTC, I pick and choose the best time to avoid the traffic and potential mishaps that can occur. Usually, weekend mornings or weekday mid mornings after the commute traffic dies down.

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  20. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I put over 100,000 miles on my first Ferrari which was a 308 GTS. I drove the car practically everyday. Whenever I have the urge, I jump in my car and drive. I bought it to enjoy it.
    Enjoy!

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I believe any car inducing stress or worries for owning it is probably not a right car for that person.

22. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    I live in the greater LA area too and the way people drive is positively frightening. The key is in resigning yourself to the knowledge that a car is just a car -- things may happen, but that's why we all have insurance (make sure it's a fixed value policy).

Another thing that's helped me loosen up with new-to-me classic cars is paying the first major service bill! At that point I feel I owe it to myself to use the car, or I'm spending money on service for nothing.

23. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Good question.
    The most liberating thing you can do is stop worring about the paint, think about it, it is the source of much stress. Acceptance of less than perfect paint reduces stress about parking places, about people, including you, touching the car, about foul weather, etc. My favorite cars to drive all have considerably flawed paint.

As far a stress about the mechanical condition, you won't be doing the car a favor by light driving or being too careful, you are better off using it vigorously but being extremely attentive to anomalies and fixing things right away. I make it a point to redline the engine at least once every time I drive. ( not recommended unless you know the condition of the engine) oh yeah, ditch the seat covers and enjoy the leather yourself.

Use but don't abuse. Drive intelligently but get your monies worth, don't save it for the next boyfriend.

24. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This happened to me when I bought a 911S. The cars with dents and big bumpers sure seemed a lot bigger.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Great point!!