Stratos v Dino | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Stratos v Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Apr 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    They said it was imported to Calif. by someone who wasn't a car enthusiast (what kind of non-enthusiast buys a car like that?) and then it sat for 30 years. I was wondering if anybody knows what the barn finder found it for in Europe, and what year that was. Bonhams sold it for over $100,000..

Unrelated to that particular car, I once went to a shop run by Jas Rarawalah (sp?) and he had a Stratos he was Federalizing. I asked if I could drive it, and so I took it around the block a few times, the first time normally, the second time the rear wheels drifting the third time in a four wheel drift. Fun car! Hope it wasn't yours!

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #227 abstamaria, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #228 abstamaria, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, Stratos are a lot of fun and quite exciting, with their short wheelbase, Bitzman. You were quite brave (and skilled!) to drift it first time around!

No, it was probably not my car. Mine was from Japan, brought here to be sold to a wealthy collector. He didn't like it (no window winders, no air-conditioning, no radio, etc.), so the car went to an Australian helicopter pilot living here. He kept it about two years and then put an ad in the classifieds. That's when I bought it. That was 1986, when the car was ten years old. You couldn't give them away then. It had very low mileage, but I have close to 20,000 kilometers now on the clock.

Here is another photo taken the same day as the photo above (I've been trying to see what I can do with a tiny pocket camera). I've posted this in the Italia thread, so apologies for the repost.

Best,

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #229 abstamaria, Jul 9, 2015
  5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #231 abstamaria, Mar 15, 2016
    Nikolay, to answer your PM, I’ve had a fire extinguisher in the Stratos since almost new. It’s a Halon bottle mounted in its bracket right on on the tunnel.

A plumbed-in system with the bottle in the boot, perhaps electrically fired, as suggested elsewhere here, seems a good idea. The handheld extinguisher can supplement that one.

Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Thanks, Andres! Is the bracket bolted onto the tunnel? I was trying to avoid making holes into the floot or tunnel but it might be unavoidable...

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I'm so sorry I missed your query, nis1973. Yes, I'm afraid you will need to drill two holes into the tunnel. Just two small ones; the fire extinguisher must be secure.

Andres

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    flat_plane_eddie and cnpapa24 like this.
  9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
  11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Fred. They just look good in photos!

Andres

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I wonder if any stratos owner/driver has driven something like a hawk stratos or the lister bell, and how these compare to the real thing.
    Some of the new build "componant"cars drive exactly like the real thing, kirrkham corbras for example, others at best "evoke" the experience.

13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Andres, you are far too modest! Fred