Straight pipes go on my 400i today | FerrariChat

Straight pipes go on my 400i today

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Jun 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im replacing my 400i 6 center muffler arrangement with 4 straight pipes this morning. Hoping its not too loud but the cadillac quiet setup it currently has just doesn't cut it. If I have to add in some bullet type resonators after to tone it down then thats what Ill do another day. Looking forward to actually hearing the engine and getting some addition ground clearance as well.

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Please post a video of the sound if you can.

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    +1, I've been contemplating about doing this on mine as well.

Cheers!

Ruben

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I found that straight pipes to the stock resonators at the back provided the right balance between a nice sound that still wasn't tiring on long drives.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lots of us are running that setup. You'll like it.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Are you going to have a balance pipe (h or X) between cylinders 1-3 and 4-6 and then one also on the other bank?

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #7 blkprlz, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    I've heard this more often than not. I do remember Brettski installing bullets in the mid-section on his set-ups.

I remember Caribou dyno testing a Daytona @ 411hp with their header/crpss-pipe set-up, & they found that the motor undoubtedly flows more freely with an x-pipe. The theory is that you don't want 4 individual 3 cyl. engines but 2-6 cyl., as far as breathing goes. The x-pipe increased mid-range…
    Found their Youtube of it (with graph)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALDUyx2zGZM

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not entirely thrilled with the sound but its a step in the right direction in that I can hear the engine. My exhaust is a stainless steel aftermarket system but it had the 8 mufflers / resonators like original and I had a funny sound through the RPM range. Turns out the RR muffler is the cause so now I hear it even more with the straight pipe center section. I have a pair of 412 OEM mufflers here so one thought it to put them on as well as add an X pipe for each side.

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I ran glass packs on my 330 center section with ansa rear sections. I liked the sound.

Regards,

Art S.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I love the car and its the only car I've ever owned where my wife told me quite clearly that Im not selling it. Makes me want 3 more of them.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    My aftermarket exhaust has straight non-resonator tips which will change the sound and I prefer the resonator tip look as well. Ill see how the 412 muffler fits, if they're even any different than the original 400 muffler? I know the center section is different.

12. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I recently installed a complete Time-Valve exhaust system on my 400i A. It used to have a raspy sound plus a low speed rumble, and a booming noise at about 4000 RPM in 2nd gear.
    The new system fit so well I was able to install it by myself in my garage using only jack stands.
    Since replacing the glass pack/ resonator setup on the car previously, the sound is pleasing. Now when I accelerate in second and it shifts into drive as I exit the underpass on I-215 in Henderson Nevada I believe it is the first time I have heard it sound like a V 12 Ferrari.

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I can only imagine that the 412 exhaust will fit, the frame & suspension configuration has got to be the same as the 400i's.
    The question of how the balancing pipes functioned on the 365/400/400i's went unanswered for quite some time until Lee Atkinson (new ulm 400i) cut open the center sections of his exhaust back in 2009. Upon inspection, Lee reported that the balancing pipes go into the first of the 3 center section mufflers & terminated there with no place to go! He posted pix of the center section interiors here in post #23.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/241471-400i-exhaust-question-2.html

I feel Ferrari finally got it right 10 years later with the 412 by eliminating the balancing pipes & cut the center section down to 2 mufflers. And 95% of people/press/etc. feel the 412 was the best variant of the entire run. I've acquired a set of stainless headers a while back but I'm still on the fence on how to complete the exhaust run. Certainly, it will incorporate the cross-pipe set-up.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Bought a pair of new original rear mufflers today, Ill add an X pipe after so its one change at a time. Im taking videos each time there's a modification.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cut open that 412 exhaust. I'm curious to see what's inside it. Save the Ferrari stampings however.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #16 Newman, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Looks great Newman! Once installed, it would be great to hear a sound clip if you can.

Cheers!

Ruben

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Did you paint those? Are they stainless or mild steel? Who's exhaust?

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Original from ferrari. The exhaust would've been painted black when new which would burn off over time ending up bare. The boxer headers were the same, I suspect to prevent rust while in stock.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #20 Newman, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Put them on this afternoon, fit like a glove which is important because nothing makes me lose my mind more than exhaust that doesn't fit!

They look right, fit perfectly and sound right. Im pleased and celebrating with a glass of wine.

Next Ill add an X pipe and see how the sound changes again. Its nice with the mufflers at the rear because thats where the sound is generated. If the mufflers were under the cabin I doubt I would be happy.

I took a video of it idling.

.....yes I still have to swap my tail lights. Trunk carpets are out so im one step closer!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ill post pics later of the repro 400 system I took off as well as the 412 system I have here AND Ill cut them open to show whats inside.

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My original center section mufflers & rear resonators are still black which helps in obscuring their presence, I would hope they used high temp. paint.

It sounds like you didn't install the 412 center section mufflers, just the rear resonators, right?
    You're lucky that the tail lights were switched to avoid installing side reflectors!

Good deal!

23. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Who did you source for the rear resonators?

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Eurospares

25. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013