Straight Line | FerrariChat

Straight Line

Discussion in 'Texas' started by rob lay, Jul 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    Wow! I havent been over there in a while, I didn't know there was a problem.

3. Indypits

Indypits Karting

Jun 1, 2005
    TX
    Full Name:
    Carolyn
    WOW ! ! !

I thought it strange when I went by this morning, NO cars on the lot and the overhead doors closed, thought it might be the rain ( never stopped them before) They were going strong all day Friday. Come to think of it, I saw no haulers up and down the road today. I'll check it out tomorrow

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  5. Whatever

Whatever Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2002
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Dan Marlett
    Yup, heard their relationship with Park Place went south about a month ago and the big wigs went and pulled their cars....

Weird, was working a deal only 4 weeks ago!

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Was a majority of Straight Line's inventory on consignment from private party & other dealers?

7. EuroCarNut

EuroCarNut Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Just heard about this today! Wow!

Perhaps this is all fiction, but my understanding of the situation is that one of the main partners at Straightline (let's call him Mr. X) was also the main wholesaler for Park Place (PP), so PP floorplanned a lot of the cars that were in Mr. X's inventory.

So for example, if a car got too old on the front line at PP's Mercedes store and needed to go away, or if PP's Lexus store took in a Ferrari on trade but didn't want to put it in their inventory because it's not a fit, Mr. X would "buy" it from PP (which is why he had so many high end cars) at a highly discounted price and they would become part of Straightline's inventory. Might have been just an accounting measure, as I think they were still floorplanned by Park Place, but they came off the books of whatever dealership the cars originated from.

Because Mr. X was such a big player (using PP's floorplan), he was able to do things like buy up the remaining inventory at model year's end from, say, a southern Florida Aston Martin dealer just to have it. Then, when the PP dealerships needed inventory, often times they would go to Mr. X to buy cars, or in some cases buy back the cars they had sold Mr. X, but at a higher price.

Either way, all I heard was that perhaps the Feds might have made a visit to Straightline last week, and everytime Mr. X's name is brought up over at PP, the word "lawsuit" seems to be used in the same sentence.

But as I mentioned, perhaps that's all fiction......

8. Whatever

Whatever Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2002
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Dan Marlett
    Yes, very close to the story I know with a few details missing but pretty much right on. When most of your floor plan is not financed through a bank and you have inventory on a good ole boy mentality... things can go south over a poker game... Don't expect both sides to give up that easy.

9. sinking

sinking Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Austin, TX
    My fiance bought her M3 from them last year. I knew something shady was going on there. I had some suspicions on what exactly and it doesn't sound like I was that far off.

10. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    I hope nobody here is waiting for a title from a car bought from them or a payoff of a trade in made to them.

If so, it is going to be a long wait.

11. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Last week maybe a hundred cars were removed
    Titles may not be going with removed cars
    Many people now looking for work
    At least one person got fired
    Tuesday of this week person in parking lot with dealer tag on his car on his cell phone
    Feds may be involved
    This will probably get UGLY

12. tx745

tx745 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008
    Any chance the inventory will be up for sale at a discount ? Or is it Feds property now?

13. sinking

sinking Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It was a long wait even when they were operating.

14. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I bought 4 or 5 cars from them over the years.Never an issue.

15. UptownDallas

UptownDallas Rookie

Aug 6, 2013
    #16 UptownDallas, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. MM3.9GT3

MM3.9GT3 Karting

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

18. carlover2

carlover2 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Ok, call me crazy. I'm totally confused. So Jeremy Wiggains buys some of the best cars from some of the best dealers in Dallas and is allowed to screw hundreds of people over millions of dollars??? FYI, Jeremy Wiggains is sole owner and president of Straightline. Why on earth would you be defending this monster?

19. Bentleygt

Bentleygt Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    I purchased my first exotic from straightline back in May so imagine my luck. I financed through a Dallas Credit Union so luckily they are fighting to get the title since they have 80% of the equity. In the interim they have been sending me temporary tags. Any advice? How long do these things take? What is the possibility I never receive title?

20. EuroCarNut

EuroCarNut Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    I am not defending anyone. I absolutely believe that if they were screwing people over, then they deserve whatever will happen to them.

While Jeremy Wiggains might be the sole owner and president of Straightline on paper, he was NOT the person that I was referring to previously. He was just the front man for Mr. X. Wiggains had no relationship with Park Place. Mr. X is the one who floorplanned it through Park Place and I've heard there are as many as 144 cars (or titles to cars) missing.

My previous disclaimer that this could all be fiction was given because although I got this info from those who are in the know (those who worked with Mr. X), I will treat it as hearsay until I hear something official.

21. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    #22 Rostami6, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    I had the same problem with a dealership who went out of business and had my title a few years ago. What you can do (Bentleygt) is have your credit union apply for a new "replacement title" with the department of motor vehicle here in Texas explaining what is going on and providing all the documents which proves the car came to your possession in a legal way with a good faith transaction. (be prepared to show your purchase order and loan documents to speed up the process). Once you prove to them that it is legitimate, normally during the same visit, the DMW will mail a letter to the current title holder, whomever that is, straightline or the previous owner, and give them thirty days to come forward. If they do not, which I am guessing at this point they won't with everything they have going on, you or your credit union can show up in exactly 30 days in person at DMV and get a replacement title issued under your name with the credit union as a lien holder. This is generally what happens when repair shops have mechanic's lien on abandoned vehicles with a huge repair bill also. In my case I got a new title on a vehicle which I bought out of state through a dealer who purchased it at an auction and went bankrupt. I had the car in my possession, I had paid the dealer in full, the auction was in Dallas (again the dealer was not in Texas) and the dealer had not paid the auction. The letter was mailed to both the dealer and previous owner. Nobody replied and I got my title. Assuming the laws have not changed this maybe your fastest way to your title. I hope this helps and good luck.

22. Bentleygt

Bentleygt Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Thank you for the advice. I will forward your comments to the credit union.

23. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    I hope it works out...

24. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Some new reporting, alleged co conspirator named...

Link:
    Park Place Motorcars Says Preston Hollow Man, Business Partners Stole Dozens of Luxury Cars

Park Place Motorcars Says Preston Hollow Man, Business Partners Stole Dozens of Luxury Cars

By Eric NicholsonTue., Oct. 29 2013 at 9:06 AM

Categories: Crime

A Ferrari 458 Italia, which, according to bankruptcy records, Jeremy Wiggains no longer drives.

The IRS still hasn't said why federal agents raided the Preston Hollow home of Straight Line Automotive Group founder Jeremy Wiggains in August, ultimately leaving the $3.3-million McMansion toting several boxes of documents. Pretty much all that could be gleaned at the time came from the bankruptcy filing he'd made the previous week, which claimed $50 million in debt to $1 million in assets and listed as creditors former Cowboy Martellus Bennett and current Cowboy Orlando Scandrick.

The Park Place family of car dealerships is more forthcoming about Wiggains' alleged misdeeds. In a lawsuit contesting the bankruptcy filing, the company says Wiggains was part of a conspiracy that siphoned off millions of dollars in cash and dozens of high-end cars from the local luxury-car empire.

According to the suit, Wiggains and his brother, Justin, did business frequently with a luxury-car wholesaler named Greg Duncan, who had been working with Park Place for two decades, buying some cars for the Park Place inventory while selling others for the company on commission.

The heart of the alleged scheme originated as a shell game. In order to avoid having Park Place dock his commission by $500 per car if they sat in his warehouse for more than 30 days, Duncan would pass them off to the Wiggains brothers to pretend to make a purchase.

On paper, this made Duncan look like a star, and he got full commission for the 40 cars he sold to the Wiggains. Yet when Park Place got around to collecting the money from the purchase, the money was nowhere to be found. Neither were the cars, which Park Place alleges were sold by the Wiggains to line their and Duncan's pockets.

The lawsuit doesn't specify what cars they stole, but the Park Place inventory is rather narrow, boasting Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus, Lotus and Volvo. Two of the vehicles came from Park Place's premiere collection, which includes Bentley, Rolls-Royce, McLaren, Maserati and Jaguar.

The partnership was a two-way street. Duncan also bought cars from the Wiggains brothers for Park Place's inventory using Park Place money. In 44 cases, the lawsuit says, those checks were cashed but the vehicles they were for never arrived.

In court filings, Duncan and the Wiggains deny the accusations. Wiggains' bankruptcy case is ongoing. His most recent schedule of assets suggests he has parted ways with his 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia, valued at $240,000.