Stradale or Scud? I can't decide. | FerrariChat

Stradale or Scud? I can't decide.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Pirate75, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pirate75

Pirate75 Karting

Feb 19, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    JT
    I'm in the market for either a Stradale or Scud. I know the Scud offers quicker shifting, more hp, and probably a better experience if my wife is driving with me on a rally. But I just keep gravitating back to the pure rawness of the Stradale.

Please share some thoughts.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Pretty sure this dilemma has been asked and answered a few times in the 360/430 section - might be worth a look

Robb and Pirate75 like this.
  3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Buy the one that pushes your buttons the most, then if it doesn't meet your expectations down the road, sell it and get the other.

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    have you driven both .? the scud is pretty raw compared to any other modern Ferrari .. but try them both and get what floats your boat. for me it is the scud.
    but the CS is pretty great also...

Pirate75 likes this.
  5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't go wrong with either.

Only way to find out is to test drive both.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You are clearly leaning CS, when I could write the very same words you did and my Scuderia preference would be just as clear. Good luck with your CS

Pirate75 and technom3 like this.
  7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I am a CS fan. I don't think people realize how much more special the CS was than the 430. People gravitated towards the newer faster... but I think history will remember it differnt...

Plus that stripe!

I think you already know your answer by the way

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have no doubt that the CS is a more important car to the lineage, and the better long term value......for me, the advantages of the Scuderia out weigh all that.

LARRYH and Pirate75 like this.
  9. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Looks and sound - CS.
    Speed - Scud
    I'm not tempted by Scud except 16M

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Can I ask what you feel are the advantages?

Obviously the transmission shifts faster but is still archaic compared to a 458
    Its faster, and it does have MUCH more low down torque.
    It doesn't have belts... BUT... belt service on a CS isn't crazy. The 430 transmission has its own "issues"

Im genuinely asking. Im not trying to come across as a jerk

Pirate75 likes this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I know you're not a jerk (I'm the guy that helped you find your CGT a couple of years ago)......

78 horsepower
    Chain timing as you said
    An external appearance I like better (always thought the 360 was soft, but not pretty), the 430 being agressive (where being pretty doesn't matter)
    I even like the striping better....and that its much easier to find a striped Scuderia
    Much faster transmission
    Better looking interior
    Manetino switch
    E-Diff
    Exhaust bypass
    Upgraded traction/stability system
    Better brakes (improvement from the 1st gen CCBs)
    Cheaper to get a better car.....my budget would only get me a high miles CS with little choices in color

I'm not an expert, I'm sure others know about further differences

daytona355 likes this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ohh ya! WOW! Ya I forgot about that! Im horrible with names.

Ya my personal preference is the 360 CS as far as styling... I absolutely LOVE the stripe!

The scud transmission is much much better... but... the E-diff is both good and bad. I have not had good luck with E-diff.

The exhaust bypass doesn't matter to me... because... well mine would get a capristo. Sacrilegious I know but dang does it sound good... almost as good as the CGT :)

Sorry if we are derailing the thread!

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nah, while we both really think the OP wants a CS, maybe the discussion can help others.

Pirate75 likes this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I do too, adds to the race car theme....and thus an issue for a guy like me. With a $200k all-in budget, a CS with a stripe is un-obtanium.

15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    totally understand on the budget. There is a beautiful blue one that just came up for sale. I think its NART blue. Very pretty car. Miley. But pretty. No stripe

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I went through this dilemma in 2010. Drove both and the for me the CS was the winner.

Ultimate speed is academic at this point. Both can put you in prison if you like. The CS experience is over the top. I had an F40 and this is the closest experience to that car.

The CS is brilliant on track, albeit not the fastest or the latest tech. But once you experience it, you will understand.

For me it's:

The driving experience
    The looks
    The sound
    The steering

...and don't forget that it has a great cult following which have improved values and will probably continue to do so.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team and Pirate75 like this.
  17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Chas has done what many CS guys do. They sell and come back. I have a local buddy that has done it 4X.

jehu999 likes this.
  19. Rosso Corsa Strada

Nov 11, 2018
    Which Scud are you looking at? I've researched the current ones for sale and they aren't selling for a reason.

20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Imo, the Scud is the better car, and sexier. But the CS is legendary.

21. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Simple...if you buy to collect...CS, if you buy to drive...Scud.

I have a CS and test-drove a Scud for a few kms a couple of days ago (I would like to have both CS and Scud, I wouldn't trade it in for the Scud)... I can say the difference can be noticed immediately....much faster, responsive and the transmission is another planet...other than that, two other differences: the Scud is somewhat a little more refined...and the sound. The Scud does sound good, but the CS is another level.

Robb and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Absolutely the CS. The Scud is nice, but the CS is on another level of rawness and if that is what you want, then go for the one who is the most raw. Plus it has the best sound of any V8 ever.

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    interesting however from my point of view the scud is much nicer looking not to offend anyone but it seems very nice looking and has the best looking back end view of virtually any modern Ferrari ... . the 16M is nice also but the hardtop to me is best

ZA3879 likes this.
  24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #24 arizonaitalian, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    not true at all. With mileage on it, a striped CS can be had for under $200k. I sold mine last year with excellent options (factory stripe) and excellent history with 19,400 miles for $180k range (I don't know precise final price as I consigned it, but they told me they got $180s for it, I only know what I netted. They had it listed for $189k). There are a lot of dreamers with cars for sale. There have been two CS's with some mileage on them for sale for well under $200k here of late. (of course if you want a garage queen very low mile CS with factory stripe or without, you will have to spend over $200)

25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The torque difference and F1 transmission are the two major advantages of the Scud.

Looks are subjective and thus not worth debating imo...although we all know the CS is arguably the prettiest ferrari of the past 25 years ;)

The CS does feel more raw and sounds better stock vs. stock (can be altered of course in either car).

The majority of people think the CS will retain value better in the long run (it gets debate, but thus far it has proven to be true and the majority (as I said) think CS wins that money matter.

The belts is a red herring. A good, complete belt job adds roughly $2400 in maint costs every 3 years. That's $800 per year. A rounding error on these cars' ownership costs.

Bottom line from me, I owned a CS for 7 years and the only other modern ferrari I considered owning was a Scud. So, they are both at the top for me. Ideally you get one and then trade it later on for the other and thus get to own/experience both. These "which car" thread often get painted incorrectly as some sort of life-time this or that choice. Get both, over time.