STOLEN F40 in Italy / 1996 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

STOLEN F40 in Italy / 1996

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Andrea DG, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Pardon my asking this, but what country would extradite a legitimately stolen car, returning to the rightful owner? The current owner would likely be smart enough to have legitimate ownership documentation and have blind agreements with whoever they acquired the car from making the current owner appear just as much of a victim as the original owner.

2. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    True, and in some circumstances and jurisdictions, there is a limitation period for recovery, especially if the car was insured and the claimant is an insurance company. It becomes a private matter at that point.

If you buy a car with complete documentation and then learn later it had been stolen years earlier, some civil code countries will protect the innocent buyer. Showing good faith and doing all the investigation you can on a VIN number before you buy can be to your advantage, and not just to avoid stolen cars. Frankly, there are no accessible, reliable sources to search VIN numbers belonging to stolen cars. Perhaps a gap in the market for some service to fill, until you get it wrong and call into question the wrong person's car.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Disagree.

Marcel Massini

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Commissioning a full report on the history of a specific serial number if a task of a different magnitude and may not be accessible to all (but in hindsight some often wish they had). No offence.

I do wish I could just reliably check Interpol records on stolen VINs online.

Is there such a source?

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #55 Marcel Massini, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    No need for being "accessible to all".
    Not all stolen Ferraris were automatically registered with Interpol. There are cases where a theft wasn't even announced to the local police. And a number of Ferraris that were stolen had no insurance, especially in Italy.
    I have more than 1'500 stolen Ferraris in my database (many were found later, of course). Some were stolen in the late 1950s and early 1960s already.

Marcel Massini

6. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    So you disagree with the statement that there are no accessible, reliable sources to search VIN numbers belonging to stolen cars, but when asked if you could point one, you write:

So I assume you refer to the "1'500 stolen Ferraris in my database". But how is this related with the initial question? Is your database fully complete? Can you provide the VIN number of every stolen Ferrari around the world? You mentioned that its not accessible to everybody. So what was the purpose of your "disagreement"?

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Marcel is the reliable Ferrari database for anything Ferrari.