Stolen car...please help | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Stolen car...please help

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Matt LaMotte, Nov 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    How do I check it?

2. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    Good luck Matt. I'm sure if the lawyer knows his stuff and you do you due diligence you'll be ok.

3. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The stamp should have some form of identification on it, which would point you to the Notary who issued it.

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Other than credit problems later that you could explain, talk to your lawyer and see what he says about stopping making payments....

Just tell the bank they can repo the car if they can find it.

If it has onstar they can get it tracked pretty quickly. A good repo man would have it back in a heartbeat...

5. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Can't the cell phone he called you from be located by the nearest tower? The the police can look in that area for the car and the guy? Or is that just something they would do if it was their car?

6. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    It wouldn't surprise me if the car was already on a different continent.

7. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida

+1

It was probably in a container within minutes.

I feel for you Matt, but you can't trust ANYONE, and you can't cut corners. Unfortunately it sounds like you've just learned a very very expensive lesson.

8. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007

Same lesson I learned trying not to pay comp and collision. Rolled a car over when I was 20 and made payments on a hunk of scrap metal for 3 more years. :( That's what I get for cutting corners.

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Matt, I'm sorry to hear this happen to you & hope you get this resolved soon.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Any progress?

11. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Nothing as of now. Monday I'm going to call the detective and see if he can track this number even though he should have already done this. I know by now the car is long gone. The notary stamp on the bs bill of sale has a name and when the power of attorney expires but no address or anything. It's a bunch of bs too I'm sure. I appreciate the concern guys. This may be end up being a pretty sad thread but you never know. I will keep everyone posted.

12. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007

I would not even bother. You should of had this done on the first day. Your car is most likely in another country, or in thousand pieces by now. You need to work on getting out from the payments now.

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    How am I supposed to get out of the payments!!?? I doubt if I call up my bank they will just let me out of them! I did everything I could do the first day! The police should have done this and I have not heard a thing from them. I guess my only choice is to file bankruptcy and let the bank track it down.

14. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Don't do that! Did your insurance give you notice of the policy change?

15. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    #65 ALPO, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    Person selling might list the car on the Internet, so, search Google using VIN and also metasearch engines (Copernicus for example searches multiple engines)...I see where that car appears/appeared to be for sale in Anniston, AL:

Infiniti Cars For Sale around Anniston, AL - Oodle.comVIN: JNKCV54E66M721215. Category: Coupes. Year: 2006. Make, Model: Infiniti G35. Details: 12500 miles, Manual Transmission, Black ...
    annistonal.oodle.com/vehicle/car/-/make_infiniti/ - 250k - Cached - Similar pages

IF THIS IS YOUR CAR, YOU CAN FIND IT HERE:

http://www.marketmyauto.com/search08/clientBroker/details.aff.php?id=1715724#contact

WHAT IS REALLY WEIRD IS THIS STATEMENT IN THE AD:
    2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe. Fully Loaded with every option available. Navigation Bluetooth 6 disc CD changer 19 inch factory rims Power moonroof Leather 3.5L V-6. Only 12500 miles. 6 speed manual transmission. I'v owned the car for just a few months and only drive it 5 miles to and from work. It runs like it is brand new and has no mechanical problems. The oil has been changed every 3000 mile with synthetic oil. I've kept the inside spotless since I have had it. It took me forever to find this color combination with all the options I wanted and I hate to get rid of it but I've decided to put my money into other projects. If you are interested feel free to call my cell. 256-505-1009 Ask for Matt

Also, anyone buying a car might ask CARFAX for a Report -- see if you can trace to the seller by alerting Carfax.

Offer $100 on the Internet for information leading to recovery of your car.

Most will do it just for the challenge and satisfaction of helping out.

Good-luck!

Let us know how this turns out for you.

16. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    #66 Matt LaMotte, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    They sent me a copy of my policy highlighting the change but I have no clue or any way to check to see when it was added. What other option do I got? I can't afford the payment for the G35 and another car. I can't pay for it for the next 4 years!

17. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    That is a duplicate copy of my original add. I guess when I first posted it on Autotrader they made a copy of my add.

18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This guy that stole your car is a con man. Plain and simple. Con men are always very nice, and seem very honest, and trusting. Con man is short for confidence man for a reason. They convey confidence to you. Do not think for a second he was legit, or that he really did make a mistake with your bank digit. He went out from day one to steal that car from you, no exceptions.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My advice (and I have been conned once) is to from now on, never trust anyone. Also, I think everyone else is right in saying you need to get an attorney. That has the highest chance of success out of all the options you have.
    In addition to that, I would talk with someone from the sheriffs office. These are the type of people that investigate things like this. They might have a task force for it, or perhaps someone dedicated on fraud. Either way, I would expect them to be of more help than the police.

I hope everything works out for you. PLEASE keep us updated!

19. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I have talked to an attorney and I don't know yet if I have a case against my insurance company. The police have been no help. I called again today and left a message for the detective to call me. Like I said when I sat down to do my report I noticed 3 boxes filled with thousands of reports. I go back to the attorney Thursday. When I asked the cop if that was all current reports he got an attitude and told me that he wasn't allowed to tell me that. I called the Alabama Department of Public Safety like my lawyer recommended and they told me that they couldn't help. He didn't say why but he said he couldn't and I'm tired of telling the same story over and over to these guys and getting no help. I even tried the FBI but they said they only handle federal crimes.

20. dbaker89

dbaker89 Formula 3

Sep 29, 2007
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Just read this whole report and I am sorry for your loss.

I know it it feels to be duped into trusting someone and then getting punched in the stomach.

I used to play video games in my younger years (11-12 yrs of age). I played a game called Diablo 2 and was conned into downloading an application that had a backdoor trojan attached to it. The conman stole my account and put my computer into matrix chat telling me that he was going to steal my fathers financial information from the computer that was within our network and bankrupt our business. I was very young at the time but it made me cry for months.

I hope you resolve your problems and get your car or the 29,000 back.

Good luck Matt.

Daniel Baker

21. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Thanks Dan. I readily admit that I should never have given up the car before the wire had been confirmed. The only reason I did is because he claimed it was sent and when I called my bank to check it they said that they were getting ready to close and would have to check it in the morning. I was leaving the next morning early to go to Florida and I figured with my "bill of sale" and meeting this guy face to face he wouldn't have the balls to try and pull it off. When we met in Birmingham to give him the car he wasn't shady or tried to hurry anything. I even offered to hook up his phone to the bluetooth! When I say I walk around sick to my stomach it is truly an understatement. However this is not over yet and karma will come back on this guy. At least you guys got an interesting thread out of the deal. To be continued...

22. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Matt, too lazy to go back and look... who is you insurance policy with? Simon

23. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
  24. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    IMHO, I'd have the lawyer work with state farm to accept that the car was stolen, and to pay off as much of the note as possible

just curious....

how are you paying this lawyer? Hourly

if so you don't want him spending 40-60 hours on this...

hopefully you have a flat fee....

25. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard