Stolen 288 GTO's | FerrariChat

Stolen 288 GTO's

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by EdwardLovett, Oct 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EdwardLovett

EdwardLovett Karting

Mar 22, 2013
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Edward Lovett
    Can anyone shed any light on 288 GTO's that may have been stolen in Europe in the 80's and ended up in Japan?

2. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I know only of one car stolen in Monte Carlo and recovered. But don´t have the s/n.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ed,

Marcel Massini has shared a few different chassis numbers in the 288 GTO thread, and perhaps he will come on and clarify.

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    is that Hartmut Ibing's car?

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Joe

I may but am currently unable as I am at the factory in Maranello until Wednesday.

Marcel Massini

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Anytime, Marcel. Thanks.

7. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Numbers that have had the "stolen" blot include 53775, 54779, 55165, 55167, 55177, and 55223. I think most have been recovered, this thread will clear up some of the detail I guess.

saadxj220 likes this.
  8. Kangxi

Kangxi Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    Well I'm a little late on this but I dealt with a no. of stolen Ferraris including a 288GTO.

A person who stole them was a waiter in Brighton who convinced numerous finance companies that he was a top of the range Car Dealer.

He stole and shipped around 16 luxury cars including a Porsche 959,288GTO,Boxer (I traced it to Japan) 2 Contache and other high end pieces. He was caught and inprisoned in the Middle East but would not be released to the U.K. because they wanted to swap him for someone held in the U.K.

Eventually he was released and disappeared.

Now remember,this was before the internet ever existed and everything was done by Telephone and letter and fax.

So 4-5 years ago I typed his name into the Internet and he is back in the U.K.,a Company Director. I had his address etc and provided it to Brighton Police. They did not want to know.

To my recollection it was roughly £3M of cars back then.

His initials are E.K.A and he got away with it.

The finance companies have long ceased to exist,Orbital Finance,Pitney Bowes Finance and others.

I had an interview above a private bank in London with a person also investigating for another Finance Co. who later appeared in a T.V programme on E.K.A who narrated my comments as his own. I didn't even get paid to go to London and discuss the case with him,I was so wrapped up in it that I went because I was consumed by the case.

I spoke in the course of my enquiries with Maranello and provided them with the Chassis No. but they were not interested either.

The papers have long since been disposed of but it was my biggest case but the only co-operation I ever got was from the Japanese importer of the Boxer.

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Interesting first post.
    Welcome to fchat.

Marcel Massini

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1.

Welcome to the site.

11. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Who is E.K.A.?

If a UK television has already aired about him, there's really no need to protect his identity, etc.

12. Kangxi

Kangxi Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    Thanks for your responses.

I won't name him because neither the Police nor the Finance Companies (most of whom no longer exist) are interested.

He was held in Jumeirah Prison in Dubai and is himself an Iranian.

Pitney Bowes should still hold the Title in the vehicle (or probably now the Insurance Company that paid out the claim) and many of the vehicles were flown out to Dubai.

I had a no. of interesting conversations with two of the G. Brothers and a car dealer in the Middle East and all tapes were sent to my client.

They themselves were only interested in showing the Insurance Co. that they had made all efforts to trace their vehicles.

I believe that there was also a 275GBT

I was in way over my head but still wonder why no further action was ever taken.

Such is life.

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What is the REAL purpose of your two posts here?
    Who are the "G. Brothers"?
    What is a "275GBT"?

Marcel Massini

14. Kangxi

Kangxi Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    #14 Kangxi, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    I came across this group when I decided to google 288GTO and stolen.

My posts were to see if any of the info rang a bell with Edward Lovett but he probably has not seen the thread.

The 275GBT was another of the stolen Ferraris.

Galadari,that's when I realized I was way out of my depth.

I do remember that Graypaul was the dealer for one of the Ferraris sold to E.K.A. but I'm not sure if it was the GTO or the other two mentioned.

I see that you are being churlish and that I should have typed 275GTB but you obviously understood they type of car,so don't bother to respond anymore.

I have no ulterior motive other than curiosity of an uncompleted case.

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    And the chassis number is?

Marcel Massini

16. Kangxi

Kangxi Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    If I had the details now I would provide them. Unfortunately all the documents are no longer in existence.

I rang Maranello and gave them the No. at the time as I knew that it was a short run of cars and was told that the factory would have records regarding spares,etc.

All too late now,I know but believe me this is not a crazy story.

17. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Client? Were you working for the owner of one of the stolen vehicles?

18. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    You've already provided his initials. Even if the Police and Finance Companies aren't interested, WE'RE interested in knowing the name of this alleged thief.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Marcel, have all the known-to-be stolen GTOs (53775, 54779, 55165, 55177,55223, ?) been recovered?

20. Kangxi

Kangxi Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    First of all,Marcel,I've looked you up and see that you are a serious person,and I've found Joe's book on the 288 online,so accept my apologies if I seemed I was rather curt.

I know nothing of the Ferrari World other than my dealing on the three that I mentioned.

I can tell you that the 288 was purchased in the U.K. (Pitney Bowes provided the finance) which may help identify the actual vehicle.

The t.v. programme was on either ITV or Channel 4 (for U.K. members that may possibly remember it) but I can find no trace of it searching the internet.

The 959 was one of the cars belonging to another finance company but they were all stolen by the same man and I had the complete list 20 odd years ago.

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    53775 was stolen 15 September 1995 in Bolzano, Italy. Owner at the time was a Swiss friend of mine, now deceased (4 November 2013). At the time of the theft the car was fitted with F40 seats instead of the standard GTO seats. Car was on Venezuela plates, owner received 600 Grand Swiss from the insurance company. The thieves had the 288 GTO flown to Dubai and then with Cathay Pacific to Osaka in Japan.

Marcel Massini

350MH83 likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks as always, Marcel.

23. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D

You have a PM

24. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    How many GTOs have been stolen? Seems like a recurring theme here...

25. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Somebody knows in which conditions was made the robberies?

Sometimes these guys have incredibles ideas for planning their robbery,
    It s can looks production from Hollywood, or pick up a Van Gohg inside a museun.