Stock 360 lap times at Laguna | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Stock 360 lap times at Laguna

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gary(SF), Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Hayashi

Doug Hayashi Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm always ready to throw my 2 cents in for a bench racing debate. Armed with the following facts:

1. A completely stock S2000 (everything stock except for airbox and exhaust) with slicks on slightly bigger rims can run a 1:45.6. I ran it at Speedventures in S2003 with AMB timing at:

http://www.speedventures.net/event_results_db.asp?event=1/31/2003-Laguna+Seca&results=OA&s=lt

I only had the slicks on for one session, as I "borrowed" them from Dave Kennedy after his S2000 caught fire. More on that day at: http://www.nsxfiles.com/wurth_jan_03.htm
    If I coulda had the slicks for another couple of sessions, I probably could have knocked another second off. I don't claim to be a great driver, as no one throws cash at me to drive their cars. (but I'll beat most of you guys at the track. :) )

2. So if a stock S2000 with slicks can run a 1:45.6, then an F355 with slicks, properly sprung, aligned, and driven, is probably 5 seconds faster than an S2000, thus making a 1:39ish-1:40ish possible for the F355. (At Willow Springs, an F355 setup like this would be five seconds faster than an S2000 with just slicks). Power is good at Laguna, there are a couple of long straights, a bunch of up hill sections where the S2000 feels like it ain't going anywhere.

3. Don't forget when Mumford took 3rd at Road America, he uh....started from 22nd due to his "pit crew" not putting enough gas in the car for qualifying. He went through the pack an wacked all the "pro drivers" except for two of them. And got rid of his pit crew and just went with Messley for the Laguna race. And they won at Laguna.

4. Don't forget that when Mumford (or Messley, for that matter) race in the Viper Racing League, they clean the clocks of people like Archer. You don't hear much about it, because uh.....it seems like the Viper Racing League doesn't like to post the results when Mumford or Messley wins. It seems to "embarrass" the sponsors that Mumford and Messley can beat the guys who help put on the event. Most people who are not "In the Know" do not realize how fast Mumford (and Messley) are, as it seems unbelievable to the people who do not know them.
    http://www.nsxfiles.com/pulp_report.htm

5. My guess for what a stock 360 on street tires is capable of would be 1:40-1:42 in the hands of a hot shoe would drove it at 10/10ths, based on my assumption that if Mumford drove the pants off a stock S2000 at a 1:46 on A032's, a 360 on street tires should be 4-6 seconds faster. (if properly aligned, and driven by someone with exceptional talent). Unfortunately, virtually of of us (me included) who post on bulletin boards do not have this exceptional talent, that is why we are on bulletin boards and not on the track, racing other people's cars and getting paid money to do it.

6. Some of you Ferrari guys need to show up at the Speedventures events, throw on an AMB transponder, and duke it out.....with the S2000 guys. :) The AMB results are posted for all the world to see: http://www.speedventures.net/event_results.asp

-Doug
    www.nsxfiles.com - The Best Website in the World for Real Life Racing Stories

If your club doesn't use AMB Transponders, it is not a track event. It is a parade! :)

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hillarious Doug!
    See you next year.

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The other side of the story...most insurance companies will cover damage at a D.E. as long as there is NO TIMING officially going on. That fact alone keeps me at the non-timed events.

Gary

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great info Doug, can't argue with most as it's factual, however, I think you're giving the 355 and 360 just a little too much credit. I believe they're quicker on a track than a S2000, but not 5 seconds for a similar setup 355 or 4-6 seconds for a stock 360. With Laguna Seca having mostly high speed turns I think the margin is less. I'm sure I could do under a 1:50 in my Spec. Rx7 (Pro 7) with slicks on and that's only 110 HP. All about momentum.

IMHO of course. No facts.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The other other side of the story... most insurance companies will drop you if they find out or even "think" you might be doing a track event timing or no timing. :(

The above is a fact. I know. :)

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I think we may be going through a "period of adjustment" on the track day activities. I've got a friend who has had two occasions where he damaged his car on track and was covered both times, and was not cancelled. I'm with the same company. I'm confident they would cover the first time, but I don't know about a second in today's environment.

Gary

7. jzr

jzr Rookie

Oct 5, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Jason Rhoades
    Interesting what turns up when you Google yourself, bummed I missed this little party.

FWIW I think a "stock" S2000 could do 1:43's at Laguna, assuming "stock" doesn't preclude slicks. PMUM was doing low 1:46's on crappy Yok A032-R's; my experience has it slicks are worth 1 second per 60 over DOT Hoosiers, which are at least 1 second per 60 quicker than the Yoks.

Hell, my :43s were with fuel starve; a bit more gas and a better driver would've had the car in the low :42s without question, and there's no way my homemade wing was worth 2 seconds at Laguna. My car was bone freekin stock but for muffler and front swaybar.

Bolding mine - Their prep level

--Jason Rhoades
    Off to see what else Google turned up

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The thread started with discussion of true bone stock lap times (street tires) but any data points of interesting.

Gary

9. bigjay

bigjay Rookie

Oct 7, 2004
    The kart lap record BTW is Eddie Lawson at 1:23.8, the track record is by Cart at 1:07 time frame..Stock 360 under 1:40 on R rubber impossible.
    355 Challenge on slicks, possible.

10. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    #85 donoe, Nov 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017