Sticky's | FerrariChat

Sticky's

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DonB, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I read in a Porsche magazine, that a guy used denatured alcohol and a rag to clean the sticky residue off the interior plastics. And it worked for a long time.

Seems like any brand auto made in Europe is affected by the same thing!

FWIW

paulchua likes this.
  2. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If you do a search, you will see lots of information on the topic.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've used this method, but it still takes a long time. :(

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Soak it with oven cleaner, wait about an hour, and it will wipe right off

paulchua likes this.
  5. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had sticky buttons on my MB 550 so I sprayed a little Rain-X window de-icer (which contains some powerful solvents) on a towel and rubbed it on...voila!...no much stickies! It’s been over a year and the stickies never returned.

Alan
    N.J.

paulchua likes this.
  6. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The sticky thread should be a sticky thread. :rolleyes:

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I used Goof Off 2. It is water based, so the parts don't get oily. About 200 Q tips and a roll of paper towels.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    this did not work for me (well not easily that is)

9. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone know what happened to stickyRX? They used to be the defacto sticky company around here until one day out of the blue they were banned and never heard from again.

10. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Although Dave is no longer a sponsor or member here he is still the go-to for anyone that seeks correct sticky part refinishing with his processes and materials held to the highest standard.

11. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't forget about Robbie and Sticky no more. He was the first person in business doing sticky removal and while he isn't as active as he once was he is still a sponsor here.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    StickyRX was a very active part of the board for a long time but had a difference of opinion with the powers that be and stopped being a sponsor. The company is still very much in business and offering a very high level of service and quality that I have found to be unmatched in the industry. Just because they don't post here anymore does not mean they aren't around. There is a whole world out there even in the Ferrari community outside of this place.

As for using alcohol, goo gone, or oven cleaner it is important to note that in these instances you are removing a factory painted on coating which is what gets sticky in the first place. Below the coating is normally hard plastic that will have a glossy finish to it once the coating is removed. You may get the coating off but the look of the switches will change not to mention in a lot of instances the indication markings go with the coating leaving blank switches.

paulchua, ElastomerGuy, JAM1 and 2 others like this.
  13. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Dave Rock’s was/ is a piece of work on the internet, not surprised he got banned. He had/has tremendous passion - and I have to say his process for parts is pretty incredible.

14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree with everything you said. StickyRX is the proper restoration method. I don’t see a need to go in any other direction.