Sticky buttons | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Sticky buttons

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bowtye8, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Try goo gone in situ - works pretty good and much better than alcohol. .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Actually, that's false. 1st, removing the sticky coating is not refinishing. But, the absolute best chemical is alcohol, 99%. All other products have a percentage of alcohol.

docf likes this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Below is a Technical Information sheet from Ferrari which addresses depolymerization of soft touch components. I haven’t had the sticky button problem, so I haven’t had the need to try the recommended product. As such, I can’t speak to the validity of the recommendation. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Baitschev and MANDALAY like this.
  4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That bulitten is the biggest crock of **** :)

Talk about CYA ;)

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Wow!

The whole sticky parts issue is enough to cause one to never want to own another ferrari.

But that "memo" adds the insult to the injury.

Honestly...what a bunch of BS.

For this and other (mostly obvious) issues, no more Ferrari's in my life. They won't miss me as a customer, but the only rational choice when getting screwed is to stop letting someone do it to me.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That bulletin is bull. Nothing has touched my soft surfaces except water or my finger oils, and I can tell they’re still de-polymerizing. Not yet to the point of making a mess or needing refinishing, but it’s happening.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Interesting story: This car was once owned by a good friend of mine and when I started doing this work as a hobby, some of this cars parts where my first that I refinished but we had only done a few of the parts. So, when the full set of parts came in this time, a couple of my guys looked at them, saw they had been done prior and said to me "Dave, these parts look pretty good - I wonder who did them?" I replied "Me" :)

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  8. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    This is a very interesting thread. As a new owner it makes me paranoid.

There has to be some variability in the coatings used. I have seen many 10+ year old cars where the coatings are pristine yet I recently saw a 458 that is a few years old where the buttons were all goo. I wonder what is the variable. I am sure environment is key and maybe someone used something to clean them that caused the rapid coating failure. I’m sure StickyRx will be busy for years to come till Ferrari fixes the problem. Good news is that it seems the 488 uses less of this material compared to previous models.

9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Zero sticky button issues on my 2013 458. May the sticky button gods bless my 2018 488 as well.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not really, just about the same as a 458. We've already refinished 488 parts although they did not get sticky, they peeled:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/not-sticky-but-coating-failure-on-488.544734/

John, the failure is accelerated by heat, humidity, UV and chemicals but time is also a factor. I posted this prior - my Rotel remove got sticky after sitting in a drawer for 3 years, out of the heat and sun, untouched.

My buddies 2013 is also fine, for now. But, we do 458 often.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Dave - does the Pista seem to have more, less or about the same sticky parts as the standard 488?

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jeff - I just reviewed a few images. Seems about the same.

HVAC Panel, steering cover, probably same tilt switch, transmission control buttons, headlight control, parking brake control, pods left / right of steering wheel, lift button, mirror control, all steering wheel buttons except "Start". Parts look about the same - some minor differences. The headlight control is a take off from what is used in a California.

13. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The only thing "INAPROPRIATE" is F continue to supply this crap finish for 20 years.
    Being a manufacturer myself, I cannot comprehend how F have not responded to fixing this embarrassing problem.
    Had to send all my interior parts to Dave so I could sell a car.

Cigarzman likes this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks. Call you in 15 years.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Or 3-5 ;)

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

drivemycar and Viperjoe like this.
  17. drivemycar

drivemycar Rookie

May 24, 2016
    I don't get it. Why do they keep using this finish, it sucks, I get black on my fingers every time i touch any control.

18. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have this depolymerization product and have used it per instructions x1. Expensive for a 1000 ml bottle. Made by Lechler (called a silicone remover). Use at temp between 5 to 35 degree. I used it once. No comment as to efficacy yet. Order directly from Ferrari Parts dept

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    This is a 2 year old post :) But admin : Why has Dave been banned ?

20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Angelo, my recollection was some sort of a “sticky “ situation .

MANDALAY, Ash Patel and technom3 like this.
  21. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Guessing not becoming a vendor?

22. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Nope.

23. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We can solve that issue for you, just drop us an email

INRange likes this.
  24. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary

There is no reason for Ferrari to have allowed this recurrent problem ( Insult to it's customers) to continue yr. after yr., Model after Model and have accepted No responsibility. After 6 Ferrari cars I'm truly sorry to say it is inexcusable to allow this quality issue to remain on such beautifully engineered sports cars when the fix could have been so simple if only they cared!

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ^^^^ absolutely. And to me, and I'm sure any others here, that own our own business, it's mind blowing.
    I simply cannot wrap my head around this complete failure from a company like Ferrari to correct this issue --- for over 3 decades!
    It's ridiculous.

docf likes this.