Stereo cover wont close completely | FerrariChat

Stereo cover wont close completely

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by speed4me, Feb 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speed4me

speed4me Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Recently purchased an '08 599 GTB. The carbon fiber lid to the radio will not lock in place when brought completely down. It rolls back up. But there is a point about mid way down I can get it to stay at. And it will release when pushed down as if it were in its correct position. I've taken out the radio to try and see if there is an adjustment to be made but couldn't see anything because it seems the actuators, or what ever mechanism it is, is on the outsides of the radio holding frame.
    Any ideas?

2. mprado

mprado Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    I would say the mechanism that locks it closed probably broke. These things usually have small plastic gears that tend to brake (something like in the picture attached).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. speed4me

speed4me Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    MPrado- thanks for the pic. I can see at least how it works. The motion of it though is still very smooth, like it's still working in the gears. It's not loose at all.
    I wonder if it has to do with the spring placement or something. thanks again for the reply and pic!

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The radio cover on a 599 is locked in the closed position by a small gear called "dumper" by Ferrari, which is a poor translation of the word damper.
    Depending on the assembly number of your car, Ferrari used two different part number dumpers. Up to assembly number 79962, they used dumper Ferrari #243895. From Assembly number 79963 they changed the part number to 261198. Your assembly number is stamped into an aluminum plate which is riveted to the front upper cross-member in the engine compartment.
    In order to replace the dumper gear, the entire radio surround/center console must be removed. The dumper gear just snaps into place. The two different part number dumper gears (early or late)mount onto opposite sides of the radio surround. If the wrong part number dumper is installed, it will lock the radio cover open instead of closed.
    If you do a search on Ferrarichat, you will find people that have encountered the same problem that you are having, it is very common. Although there is much confusion over which part number dumper is to be used, and many dealerships have gotten it wrong in the past as most parts people don't know about the assembly number split.
    Removal of the radio surround and replacement of the gear is fairly difficult and it is easy to damage fragile plastic parts if you don't know what you are doing. There are some threads on Ferrarichat regarding removal of the radio surround.

Rex71 likes this.
  5. speed4me

speed4me Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Motob, I have a pretty clear understanding of the process now thanks to your description, much appreciated!