Stella Bianca | FerrariChat

Stella Bianca

Discussion in 'F1' started by Longstone Tyres, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I wondered if anyone noticed the Pirelli Stella Bianca that was on display behind the singer of the National Anthem. That is Pirelli celebrating their history and making some important tyres that were used back in the 1950s.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/stella-bianca.html

Pirelli are also making all sorts of other historic tyres for Ferrari, inluding a 205VR16 CN72 for the 500 Superfast, 185VR15 CA67 for the 250GT and a set of tyres specifically for the 250GTO, through to 16" Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres for the 328.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione.html

If you like the old stuff this web site has an epic film of a gorgeouse lady driving accross Europe in the early 1960s in a E-Type Jag fitted with Pirelli Cinturato. It is so cool.

https://www.cinturato.net/tortoise-and-hare.html

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Rather than the constant product placement, perhaps Pirelli should concentrate on making a
    racing tire that lasts more than, like, 8 laps.

BHW

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Simpler times...

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks. I noticed it and was wondering what it was about. Had a hunch it was a bridge to the past. Just like the gorgeous trophies.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    After watching yesterday´s race, I´d say their vintage stuff is a lot better than what they´re doing now.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Englebert

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    As long as FIA/Liberty insist on ridiculous tire regulations I have no sympathy......The World Tire Managers Championship.:rolleyes:

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Bring Back Bridgestone.........

John_K_348 likes this.
  9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It maybe that some tyre companies wouldn't even bid for the F1 supply contract, in view of what the FIA imposes on them.
    Bernie was quite blunt once when a journalist quizzed him about the poor reliability of the Pirelli.
    He said something like: "Pirelli gives us tyres are rubbish, because that's what we ask them to do".

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I get that they´re not made to last, but they should not blow. It´s not the first, nor the second, nor the third time it happens. They should enter a perfomance cliff, and if a team decides to not pit until they blow, hey, it´s their problem. But these tyres often fail without notice.

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Michelin can make the tires work and last.

They supply WEC (LeMans) on all classes.

Their ethos of tire rubber contradicts what F1 currently has.....which is why they won't supply F1.

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Make tires that work so racing can take place! Not managing take place. Go Michelin!

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Disagree. Suddenly deflating tires is like an unexpected rain. Adds the element of chance to the show. The British GP was extremely boring until 5 laps to the end when suddenly things started to happen. I didn't mind at all that it hit the two Mercs. Too bad RB mismanaged the situation.

14. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the problem caused by running too much adverse camber?

Personally i told Pirelli that they should run 450X19 Crossply tyres on the GP and make it exciting again like this.

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

We can blame Carey and Todt for the shoddy "competition" .

Ferrari found a bit of power and the FIA snuffed out the flame, under dark cover ofcourse. Whether Ferrari had embarrased the FIA by exploiting a loophole we'll never know.

Toto is running the show.

The tail is wagging the dog !

fil and John_K_348 like this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Michelin built the tires that failed at Indianapolis F1, while the Bridgestone tires did not fail.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, and no.

I have been watching tires for over a decade and they mostly wear out and fail on the inside edge where the camber "targets" the wear.
    The cars would get significantly more life out of the tires with a bit less camber--but at lower performance, too.

I predict the new 18" wheel formula will be somewhat of a mix between "long learning trend" to "near disaster" because the shorter sidewalls will be much more camber sensitive, and a lot less tolerant of running over curbs.

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Tire rubber has advanced since no??

They do make tires for the Bugatti Veyron and Chiron.....to do 250+ mph.

william likes this.
  19. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Why limit to one tire manufacturer ?
    Whats the rationale behind this policy? If any...

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I really don't know. But the cars suspension and geometry is engineered to Pirelli tires.

I also don't like the fact that Pirelli chooses the tires prior to race. Let the teams decide which tire they want to choose.

Tire strategy in F1 is a given whether by overtake or undertake in race....it's somewhat predictable given said tire and life on the track.

21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That was introduced to stop the tyre war among manufacturers.
    Each manufacturer had a favourite team that received the best performing tyres, unavailable to the rest of the field .

If it was now, manufacturer A would give Mercedes a whole range of compounds, manufacturer B do probably the same for Red Bull, and the rest of the field would only get standards hard tyres from A and B. So in fact the tyre manufacturers would decide which teamq can perform best.

Other series also introduced one tyre manufacturer (MotoGP, many GT series, F2, F3, Touring cars, etc ...).

22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Actually everybody got the same tyres. The difference was that the tyre suppliers tended to work closer to the team that had the best shot at the Championship and the rest had to build their car around what they were given.

Anyway, the biggest reasons for the single tyre supplier are cost and standarization: being stuck with the wrong tyre supplier could ruin the whole season for half of the grid.

In F1 case, it's also helpful to force pit stops, and in the worst case (i.e. 2013) to rig the Championship.

23. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    If FIA can monitor the thermodynamics of an ICE and other sophisticated parameters, why cant they impose a certain type of tire compound for all teams..and monitor it... thus leaving the championship to be fought over based on driver skills machinery and team?

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    How is that different from being stuck with the wrong engine?
    How is that different from being stuck with the wrong transmission?

How is that different than being stuck with the wrong chassis? {At least this one is self inflicted.}