Steering Rack Rebuild | FerrariChat

Steering Rack Rebuild

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Soto Veloce, Apr 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Looks like I have a power steering fluid leak in my '07 612 Scaglietti. I was quoted $15,000 in parts and labor by the mechanic at the Maserati/Alfa Romeo dealership in Coeur d'Alene to replace with a new rack, so I am obviously looking into the possibility of having it rebuilt. It sounds like this usually involves the removal and re-installation of the rack by a mechanic with Ferrari expertise who would then send the rack out to a third party for the rebuild.

I have seen a few places recommended in the 599/612 forum such as ADCO in Houston, but seeing as I will be sending the car somewhere from Spokane, I hoping to find a good place to have it rebulit in either Portland or Seattle.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chris

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My suggestion, having been through it in the past, is find someone who rebuilds them all the time, have it taken out and sent to them. If RTGT will pull it out and send it off, I would go that way.

I doubt if there is anyone in Portland or Seattle who is experienced at rebuilding a 612 steering rack, although there might be some guys who would "give it a try."

3. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thanks Don as always for the advice.

I spoke this morning with someone at ADCO in Houston, which is the shop that Terry Phillips (tazandjan) has recommended in the 612/599 forum. It sounds like rebuilding a Ferrari steering rack is just another day at the office for them. He estimated only 1-2 day turnaround from the time the rack arrives to when it is completed and ready to ship back.

I asked if they run into too much trouble sourcing Ferrari parts, and he said that it usually isn’t an issue since they manufacture many of the replacement components such as boots and seals on site.

Now I just need to find someone who is capable of getting the rack out of the car and back in. Maybe RTGT. Maybe someone local. We’ll see.

donv likes this.
  4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Drain your fluid and look in the reservoir. I suspect you will find it full of brass dust. The pumps on these cars wear out and send brass debris through the system and this is what takes out the rack. There were multiple updates to the pumps, lines and fluid to these cars. Simply installing a new rack without completely flushing the system and installing a new pump is going to be a short term repair.

5. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thanks. That’s good to know. Hopefully new pumps can still be found. It is surprising and frustrating that so many parts are extremely difficult to find, if not completely unavailable, for a car that went out of production only 9 years ago.

6. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    How much of that cost was a new rack and how much was labor? Just curious. It's amazing to me that a simple steering rack replacement is potentially 10-15% of the car's value.

7. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Yes. I found it quite surprising as well. The quote included approximately $13,000 in parts (most of which was the new rack) and $2000 in labor.

Naturally, I began looking into rebuild options.

Rory J likes this.
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Please do let us know who you find to R&R the rack.

9. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thanks for the advice. You were right about the pump, brass dust and all. It is leaking as well and will need to be replaced.

Once the new pump and some ancillary parts arrive, a local shop will be doing the R&R on the rack, which will be sent to ADCO in Houston.

Advanced Auto Fabrication is an independent shop in Spokane Valley that specializes in repair and rebuilding of custom track cars as well as production cars modified for track use. A friend of mine here in Spokane, who is both my kids’ pediatrician and a certified race driving instructor with the SCCA, has relied on the shop’s owner, Hank Moore, for years to repair his track cars and daily drivers. Hank does not seem the least bit concerned about getting the rack and pump successfully out of and back into the car, but was refreshingly honest about his ability to rebuild the rack as well as a specialty shop like ADCO.

For anyone who finds themselves one day in the same situation, I have included Hank’s estimate, which includes everything except the cost of the rebuild and shipping to and from Houston. This should at least serve as a ballpark estimate for this kind of work and is much less costly than the $15K I was quoted for replacement.

I’ll let you all know how it works out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider and donv like this.
  10. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    I heard back from ADCO today. They will charge $3200 +shipping to rebuild the rack. All in this should cost around $8,000. Expensive, but better than the $20K it would evidently cost to replace rather than rebuild.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Unless the pump has been updated, I would seriously consider adding some sort of inline filter to protect the rack.

whatheheck likes this.
  12. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    I’m having the pump replaced at the same time. Are you suggesting a filter even with a new pump because of their tendency to shower the rack with brass dust?

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #13 f355spider, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Yes, even if the pump is "updated", who knows for certain it is fixed? Sounds like you have chosen a competent shop, I am sure they can find a solution for you. The filter must be chosen to not cause a restriction, be easy to access (hopefully) and filter adequately. At least that way if the pump fails again, it won't cost you another steering rack rebuild. I would save your old pump, it might be rebuildable if you need it in the future.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thanks for the advice. I will ask my mechanic about this.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for posting. Always good to learn about different repair options. Just curious, how many miles on your car?

16. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller

It goes it tomorrow to have the rack removed and sent off for rebuild. New pump has arrived and will go in when the steering rack returns.

I’ll post when it is done to let everyone know how it went.

donv, f355spider and Ak Jim like this.