GiroDisc steel rotors for F12/FF | FerrariChat

GiroDisc steel rotors for F12/FF

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by otakki, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    In the unlikely even that anyone might have a set of worn out CCM rotors, please let me know. Of course, if anyone is living near Girodisc at Bellingham, WA and can swing by for them to measure, it will be fantastic. I spoke this afternoon to Martin at Girodisc.

Giro Disc can make a set of one-off for around $4000, and subsequent sets are available to anyone at their typical price. However, they will need one front rotor, one rear rotor, and new pads to do measurements.

FYI: A new stocked set (hats and rotors) for all 4 corners from GiroDisc typically runs around $3400. Afterward, front and rear rotors are typically $950 and $800, respectively, for a pair.

Yes, major difference from the CCM prices, especially for those who like to spend more than a few days on the track!

http://www.************/

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    If it turns out that the rotors are the same for various Ferrari models then it seems like girodisc should already have discs for the FF guys

3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I can't even find the OE pads either, even though they are Brembo 47.A992.13 aside from Ferrari branded itself

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just to get pad shape out of the way. ALL DCT era Ferrari that use the old style calipers have interchangeable pads. The only V12 DCT cars that use different pad shapes, are the TdF and 812. Those two share pads with the Speciale, 488, Pista and F8. An FF, F12 or Lusso shares pads with a 458 DESPITE the part numbers. Same pad and same old T4300 compound.

If you measure tho offset of your OE rotors, I can tell you whether or not you can use the 458 setup. The discs themselves,are the same size, but some cars use,a slightly different offset. This is also how I found that the,Surface Transforms 458 discs would fit the 488 etc. The only difference was the rear drum brake insert which the 488 etc. does not need. Measure from the suface of the disc to the surface of the hat - very easy. Then use a caliper in a bolt hole to measure the hat flange thickness. Give me those measurements and I can tell you whether or not they are a direct swap. If the offset is correct, they are, and so are the pads.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EndlessDoodles and otakki like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I will ask you this. I have tried cars with Girodics setups, and while they are okay discs, the whole setup is more track focused. Ask yourself whether or not you are okay with squealing brakes.

otakki likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just did a quick cross ref.

Lusso, Lusso T, FF and F12 share brake discs.
    P/N 315457 front. and 296894 rear. The part number for the F12 was later changed, but that is of no importance.

As for pads.

F12 uses 70002442 or 70002035 front and rear is 70002443
    FF, Lusso and T uses 70002035 front and rear is 70002036, and 70002328. However, they share calipers, so ie. same pads.

The whole Ferrari parts number system is a mess.

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Nothing has shown up on GiroDisc website, so I guess no one had shown up there to have those measured. I'd have dropped by their facility if I live anywhere near Washington. I'm mechanically retarded and have no clue on how to remove those rotors; likely also too chicken:oops:. GiroDisc just need one front and one rear. IIRC, they've also offered to pay for insured shipping both ways if anyone is able to send theirs in.

GiroDisc doen't list anything for F12. Do FF/F12/Lusso use the same hat?

Hopefully GiroDisc can chip in their thoughts on this thread.

9. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I live about 1.5 hours from Bellingham, I could probably take a drive up there in a few weeks. I have an 812, but I do know someone with an FF that might be interested in taking a drive with me up there on the fun roads. Could also try to find a local F12 owner who is interested in a drive as well.

Flea7 and otakki like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #11 Il Co-Pilota, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Like I posted above, yes, the F12, FF and Lusso use the same discs, i.e same hat.

I have two questions.

What is the status of your current discs? The CCM rotors last a long time on the FF and Lusso as they are rarely tracked. While your dealer might plug in computer that says they are worn, that might very well be FAR from the case. Fact is that there's nothing special about wearing them down At some point they will scour a bit, and then they are worn down, that's it. Forget the algorithms, forget the weighing etc. it's not that complicated. If your discs are glass smooth they are fine.
    Why replace something that works?

The other is, how do you plan to use the car? Are you okay with the drawbacks of the discs? I'm sure a rep from Giro will say that there are no drawbacks, but that's not my personal experience. They are noisy, and you are stuck with their street/track pads and pure track pads.
    You can buy quite a few different pads if you stick with stock discs, and some of them are significantly cheaper than what Ferrari offers.

Just some food for thought.

11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I'm sure everyone's front CCM rotors are shinier and more mirror like, compared to the rear rotors. I'd prefer to keep CCM at the front and regularly wear through Giro steel discs at the rear.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Eh, that is not a great idea. That will be properly dangerous as these discs modulate completely different. It's no even a maybe. As much as I'm into trying new stuff, that is a massive no-no.

If you go through rears like dirty socks, get a set of ST rotors for the rears if possible. Initially they will be a bit more than Giro, but you can get them resurfaced for less than half the price ofvthe steel disc. If you do the math of three sets of Giro vs. three sets of Surface Transfors, you'll be money ahead. It is also worth noting that the ST discs will last a lot longer than both CCM and steel.

As for compatibility, it will work. I did a test on my car, using ST on the left side and OE on the right. It is obviously not recommended, but I wanted to see how it would affect the car. The car still stopped straight and did not exhibit any odd behaviour. It was only a 10 km jaunt, but was curious. While the ST and OE rotors are different, they are not different in the same way as steel and ceramics. The ST is a better performing disc, but some basic characteristics are the same. This makes this combo safe. Initial bite etc. on steel is very different, and you might find yourself in a situation on a wet road where the car applies lots of brake to stabilize the car. In that case, the rear will grab and the front will not. Next thing you know is that you are now the passenger in a two ton missile out of control.

I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is. I have experienced the mix of steel and ceramics on track just as a test thing, and the result was "interestin". For the safety of you and everyone else, please don't.

EndlessDoodles and otakki like this.
  13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Those are some great info!! Now I am definitely abandoning the rear Giro idea, unless Giro can be had on all 4 corners. I remember reading about car makers tend to dial in understeer rather than oversteer, which is harder to control and more frightening even for experienced drivers.

Definitely an interesting material from this ST company. Better and longer lasting than CCM while costing less...ST rotors sound like a no-brainer when it comes time to replace the CCM. Now off I go to peruse and study ST's website!:)

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Let me know what you think. I have a direct "link" to Craig Couzens who is their marketing manager, and the guy who I worked with creating the 488/F8(Pista rotors.

If you measure your offsets, I can quickly tell you if you can use the 458 set. You need 13 mm offset in the front and 18 mm rear. If those things are on point, they will fit. The parking brake system between the 458 and FF is the same.

otakki likes this.
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Is that the offset you are referring to? Does the hat determine the offset. Looks like I'll need to run a ruler from the surface of the hat to measure that...Will try to do that when the wheels are off. For the hat flange thickness...will most likely need to have the hat+disc completely off to do that.

Yes, I noticed only 458/430 are listed on the ST sites. Do those kits contain only the discs?...It will be nice to be able to reuse the oem hats by bolting them to the new ST discs.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The rotors are complete
    With the wheel off, it is very easy to get all measurements. Just lay something flat on the hat that goes out over the disc itself and use the depth gauge on a caliper to measure. That is the offset, simple as.
    You don't have to remove the disc to measure hat flange thickness. Just use the depth gauge of your calipers in a bolt hole.

otakki likes this.
  17. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    hello there,

did anyone measure the offset? i am interested in changing to steel brakes as well.

so bottom line is if the offset is 13mm and 18, I can use the ST 458 rotors and pads no issues correct? how about adding brake duct cooling?