Status update on GCK install | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Status update on GCK install

Discussion in '348/355' started by ketel, Aug 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Wish I was close enough to help out. I found cutting and crimping the new connections very easy. I could tell that Ketel was going to have problems right from his first few posts.
    This is not a job for everyone. Im sure it will all get fixed and his 355 will run better than ever.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you're full of it (respectfully ;)), that's the same tired line of those on the losing end. you are relatively new, but we've come a long ways from the days of grumpy old men. I will acknowledge as the community has grown we've lost some of the "everyone knows your name" (which is bad) and "you can get away with anything" (which is bad for those getting away).

3. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    i don't think anyone is blaming the tool but surely you can agree that due to the sensitive nature of electrical connections, it would more prudent to use a better crimping tool than the $30 one supplied with the kit?

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John has continued to provide very valuable posts and fantastic suggestions to help Ketel and you dismiss every statement he makes since you are clearly biased and likely a partner in the GCK.

At this point, I have a fantastic running car and no CEL's. I know you and others will tell me that I have no idea what a fantastic running car is, so for the sake of argument, let's just say I have a car without CEL's. If tomorrow I get a CEL, I will diagnose it the proper way as John has repeatedly suggested. You, FBB, would suggest that I go out and re-wire my entire car with the GCK instead of finding the root cause of the problem. That would be the most ridiculous plan one could ever embrace, one I will never implement.

You just cannot see how foolish that ideal is….

5. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Not a chance.

ketel

6. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    All due respect johnk, I'd prefer to speak for myself than have you puts words in my mouth or take sweeping license with some of my earlier posts. I am not a victim here. No one led me down some primrose path to install the GCK. I'm not a patsy. Thanks.

ketel

7. GarageWarrior

GarageWarrior Karting

Aug 15, 2013
    Westerly, RI
    Without hooking up an oscilloscope, how would you "properly" diagnose an intermittent electrical connection?

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Smart man, my shop is always open to you.

:)

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LOL! Let me know when my check from SRI comes! What I can show you is the payment I made to SRI for my second gold kit. I put my money where my mouth is while you just keep talking.

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Right on!!!

I have a car that runs great puts down insane dyno numbers and yet put the injectors on a scope on the car vs bench testing. They do not look like the same injectors.

No I am not saying my fix, I do know others have found it also :)

11. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    from reading the two mega threads, i don't believe the issue was ever intermittent. the codes were fairly consistent. it was only when they found that the o2 sensors were hooked up backwards that the car ran better. i bet that probably made most of the codes disappeared too. ironically, someone made a post of that exact same issue along with a link on how it was diagnosed and solved; unfortunately, that was ignored.

12. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lol, I don't blame you. This is beyond ridiculous and will never end. Just don't get discouraged on sorting your 355. You will be so happy when done.

13. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Really, Gerry? It was nice of you to jump in ( when you noticed he was doing something wrong) and help. Oh....sorry...you have not said the first helpful thing.

But I seem to also recall that you have not performed the first crimp on your ECU harness....so I guess you are the arm chair quarterback that FBB is talking about, right?

Why are you (and others) giving grief to JohnK when he is trying to help? He tested the cat ecu...no problem there. He can check that off the list. Problem can now either be that there is an issue with the cat ecu connection.....or too much fuel is reaching the cat. That means he could have a problem with the ignition on that bank. This is called anaytical trouble shooting.

A tech can put his car on an sd2 and read what is going on for sure.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Tim, don't waste your breath. You and John make far too much sense. And GerryD has never posted a single useful statement...

15. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I think its time to close the thread.

16. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Your right there Carm.

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LOL! This all makes me think of a statement RifleDriver made regarding JohnK's making "sense" discussing timing belts.

18. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #293 GerryD, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    That's just the way it is with these guys. They don't seem to want to except that the gold kit worked for us and we like it. Curly keeps telling me that just because I havnt changed the pins in my main ecu that I shouldn't speak. I guess that the other 70 something pins meant nothing. My car ran much better and when I change the main ecu pins it will be even better. Listen stooges.....we like who we married and you don't, so why not get over it and stop telling those that like their wives that they shouldn't. You don't like her, don't marry her. We did and we like it. End of story.
    Ketel seems to have told you stooges a couple of times now to butt out but you just don't want to.....why?

Ketel will get his car running properly sooner or later. The way he bought it and the way it was running....we may never know if the GCK made any difference so let it go. If you think your cars are running great....beautiful. Ours with the GCK kit are running better than they used to.
    Nobody here is going to change their mind.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    FBB, I find it remarkably ironic that your signature applies to Ketel's car with the implementation of the GCK and advice from you and the rest of the supporters...

I will say that many of the SoCal group seem to be the most genuine people trying to help Ketel and I really respect those folks for digging into his car. Cheers to you guy's for trying to solve his problems. It's nice to see and if I was local, I'd volunteer to rewire all of his connections so he could get to the root cause of his problems...

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 ..... yes, the left side cat o2 sensors were indeed plugged into the wrong sockets. For some reason the blue tape marking indicating the 'front' o2 connector, was missing on the factory harness. Right side was marked as normal.

Sorry to add another post to this thread, but just wanted to confirm that o2 mix-up. :eek:

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #296 johnk..., Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    No problem kettle. I apologies if I over spoke. As you know I do sincerely hope you get your car sorted. However, it has been very painful for me to watch this as I do believe you chose the wrong path. But it was your choice.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Nice cut and paste. The point I was trying to make in that thread was that the first time a recommendation for a three year interval for belt changes appeared in a Ferrari owners manual service interval was the 1996 F355 manual. So we went from the Ferrari GT4 introduced in 1973 to 1996 where Ferrari recommends mileage only. If belts were snapping so frequently if older than 3 years, it would not have taken 23 years to change the recommendation, or so common sense would dictate. And this doesn't even include the consideration that belt technology improved considerably over those 23 years. The 3 year interval only starts to make sense if you drive your car very hard, like lots of track days. And such recommendations were not coming routinely from dealers in my area either. When I fist bought my 308 I had it dealer serviced for the first 7 years of ownership. They never suggested a belt change until the 15k service at which time the car was at the 7 year mark. And even then they suggested a belt change along with cam seals as precautionary items "as they were in there". I was not told either was necessary at that time.

Regarding my statements on the cost of the GCK, I have configured a GCK using gold JPT pins, a ratchet crimping tool with the correct jaws for the JPT pins (which insures that a complete idiot can make clean crimps), and extraction tool (actually a pair of tools which will allow you to extract pins from just about any type connector), and new boots. Purchased at retail for about$150-$175. So what have I missed? I guess you can arguer about the plating thickness and clamping force of the JPT pins vs. those in the DH GCK based on speculation of what the actual spec are. Send me a couple of pins form the GCK and I'll be glad to test clamping force and plating thickness for both and report back.

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    JohnK,

Why would you make a budget gold kit? You claim it does not work and your car will die from fretting corrosion and the OEM connections are just fine.

Ernie already made a connector kit for cheapo's. He did that years ago! I wonder why no one is doing the Ernie connector kit?

You of all people should know if you "idiot proof" something they just make better idiots.

24. GarageWarrior

GarageWarrior Karting

Aug 15, 2013
    Westerly, RI
    John, where you getting that low pricing on the crimp tool and have you actually tested them? Digikey and newark list the original TE crimper for JPT at close to $300.

I'm curious because about a year ago I was trying to find inexpensive ratcheting crimpers (needed to crimp a bunch of different connections JST HX, RCY, Dupont, D-sub, 1.5mm AMP Superseal, no JPT though). I tried several Chinese knock-offs from ebay and they all failed to make a decent crimp. Had to resort to manual crimpers. I'm sure at some point they'll improve, but last time I tried them quality just wasn't there.

25. GarageWarrior

GarageWarrior Karting

Aug 15, 2013
    Westerly, RI
    May be F355 high engine temperatures are causing belts to oxidize/fail earlier in life, as is the case with the the inner CV boots. Or may be the 5 valves per cylinder and high tension springs are putting more strain on the belts. Just a couple possible explanations.