Static Klippan belt installation | FerrariChat

Static Klippan belt installation

Discussion in '206/246' started by mar3kl, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think my belts are installed wrong. Can someone with Euro 3-point static Lyfe-Lok II (aircraft style, not push button) Klippan belts send me a photo of the shoulder belt setup? I'm trying to figure out whether the adjustment fittings go over your lap or over your shoulder, whether the shoulder webbing goes under or over the lap webbing at the buckle, and whether the slight bends in the anchors point up (out) or down (in). Any photos much appreciated.

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Peter,

Is your car a Euro-delivery? If so, any chance that you have close-up of the label tag?

I'd love to see what was printing on those tags in Europe...

Also, your picture of the shoulder anchor point seems to show the anchor "flipped over" compared to your drawing. Am I misinterpreting something in the drawing?

Cheers,
    Alex

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    It's a Euro delivery. Early L series, fabricated late 1969. The original text was mostly gone due to age. I changed the webbing and bought some aftermarket labels as you can see below. I believe I bought them from Rob, another fchat member (https://dino246.com/store.html)

With respect to the flipped anchor on the drawing, then maybe what you think is the shoulder point actually is the floor point?

Best regards

Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oh, so the section that has all the "looping" clipped to it is the lap part of the belt?

It would be interesting if the original belt had that same label on it. The "Federal" wording on the label is something that you usually see on belts meant for the USA market.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Peter, it looks like the shoulder shelf end has the folded webbing stitching side facing up. I thought that would always face down, so it's hidden. Same goes for the label end...label always faces down so it's normally hidden from view.

One thing that seems to be different with your L series vs Rob's M series is you have 90 degree endpoint mounting hardware for the buckle section whereas the M uses the same stepped mounting hardware in all locations.

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    US & Canada used the same labels, UK had its own and I believe the rest of Euro used the `Made in Italy' label. There are other threads on the topic with photos of the different labels,

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Correct noted. The webbing is turned around so the stitches ( and also labels) are visible and this has always been a mystery for me. But remember this is one of the very early L series and I have found many things that differs from later L-series cars. These very early cars was changed and modified as they were produced and they were kind a considered as prototypes for the next coming series. I chose to copy the original style when i changed out the webbing (Renewed due to safety considerations since I drive the car regularly).

I don't know if the label text is 100% correct since I cannot read the old label, others with more insight knowledge must chime in.

Best, Peter

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  10. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the photos, Peter. Your belts are earlier than mine and look different. I have a chrome adjustment fitting on the shoulder belt which I don't see on yours. I've messed around with the orientation of the shoulder part and I think I have it correct now. I think the anchor fittings are supposed to be oriented so they bend upward/inward, and the shoulder belt adjustment fittings are supposed to be around your lap. I'll try take some photos tomorrow.

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I'm certainly not the authority on this (and I'm trying to repurpose BMW 3pt static Klippan belts to my M-series), but I've never heard of chrome adjustment fittings...they've always been the ribbed plastic ones seen in Peter's photos. Mercedes used a different plastic adjuster with the same buckle hardware.

12. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #12 isuk, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  13. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Perfect! That's how I have them oriented now.

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Ok, so I guess static E-series belts are totally different then L and M (static) belts. I knew that I'd be promptly corrected if I was in error.

But that male buckle end is different than what I've seen before. I guess yet another difference from L & M Klippan.

15. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
  16. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So I went back and searched around, just to be sure that I had not missed something that I should have noticed, but did not manage to find anything...

The reason that I asked about Peter's labels, is because his belts were still the early ones with the "loop-dee-loop" webbing.

All the label pictures that I've previously managed to find for Euro delivery static Klippans have all looked to be for the latter ones with the chrome aux adjustment "buckle". Those belts look to have a "1392" type number, and I've always wondered if the earlier belts had a different type number.

Though I suspect that my car (mid 72 build) probably should have the later style, it is a lot easier to find the bits to try and assemble one of the early belts, so if the numbers were different, it would be interesting to know.

There are a lot of post on such things, however, so perhaps I just missed something. If that is the case, I'd appreciate a pointer to what I should take a look at.

Thanks!
    Alex