Starting problems the dreaded melted fuel pump connection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Starting problems the dreaded melted fuel pump connection

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by peterdavid911, Jan 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Chris

You need to get the same connector pins that are there already otherwise they won't fit. The lower one in your photo looks like the one you would have taken out. The one above it won't fit at all.

I know that Daniel at Ricambi there in the US has them for sure. Send him an email and show him the photos. I nearly bought mine from him but I found them here in the UK at Ferrari instead. Get a new white plastic connector and enough pins and a few spare just in case. When you attach the wires into the new connector pins make sure you solder them as well after you crimp them.

Hopefully this will cure your problem and is fairly cheap and easy to do yourself. It's a good place to start from.

2. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    It's the lousy Ferrari connectors that started all this. As a temporary repair to get you home stay as far away as you can from the oem style. Find the right size female connector and you'll be on your way hopefully.

3. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    3/16 connectors will connect to the board. I found some at Radio Shack. I originally had the standard 1/4 inch as pictured. These connectors won't fit. I attempted to repair the two burned connections. Car started but would not start/run again after I shut off the ignition. Maybe my connections were poor. Car is now at Automotive International in Charlotte NC. I dropped by shop this morning before flying back to Austin. They had quite a few Ferraris.

I purchased the fuse box assembly from italiancars who recently posted the unit for sale. The new fuse box should resolve the problem. However, the white connector broke apart when I tried to cut area for the wires to pass through. I assume a new white connector can be purchased but will see.

In the near future, I may upgrade to the Scuderia Rampante. Or should I send him the new motherboard now? Or can Automotive International complete repair? Any suggestions?

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The new circuit boards that are available are a very nicely made piece, I use them when I get a box in that has been modified, and then build up from there. I can deal with crispy boxes as long as they are virgin but attempted triage repairs induces variables that I am unable to predict.

Replacement of the box, (board) or terminals by themselves only deals with 1 or 2 of 8 known problems in the system. In this manner, fixing one problem simply moves the problems to the next weakest area. To resolve these issues in their entirety the box needs to be dealt with as a system, not a piece part.

Until all 8 of the design problems with this system are changed, the problems you seek to fix will just continue to be moved around in a game of chase.... a terribly frustrating one at that because the symthoms morph with each triage change made.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    Very Happy with it.
    Chris - I would recommend it highly - Dave will go through your box and once back all those electrical bug-a-boos are gone. Not sure if you saw mine at Mondipalooza - I had the front boor open a couple of times to show it to others.

7. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Where did you order the white block and the connectors from?

Thanks,

8. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Richard they were available from Daniel at Ricambi in the US at the time but I ended up getting them here in the UK directly from Ferrari as I needed them urgently. It was very easy to do. The hardest part was removing the connectors out from the white plastic connector. You have slide a small screw driver in the opposite ends of the wires to pop them out.

Cheers.

9. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
  10. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    This is another great DIY guide!! Thanks.

Hot start of my 3.2 needed at least 2 cranks to fire the engine. Sometime up to 5 cranks.. I just bypassed the fused connector pin with direct wire+solder & replaced fuel filter. Hot start is better but still not up to my expectation. Now most of the time I need just 1 crank for 3-5sec & press on the gas pedal to start the engine. Is this good enough? Thanks.

11. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Dave,
    Am I being ignorant to think these fuse box gremlins were "fixed" by Ferrari on the 3.2, 328 and later Mondial t's and 348's or is that just wishful thinking?

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Peter I'm a little late but happy birthday from Canada as well.

13. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks very much Claude, really appreciate it.
    Hope all is well:)

Peter

14. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    Hi all, Other than the melted/bad connection in the vertical large white connector on the right side of the fusebox, I noticed there's one more connection that's melted in one of the four horizontal white connectors. It’s located in the bottom left white 12pin-connector, 3rd pin from right is bad. Any idea what’s that connection? Thanks.