Starting an advertising company | FerrariChat

Starting an advertising company

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dream cars, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    I have now decided to start a new company. We are an advertising company focusing on night clubs, malls and the like. Im new to the industry except for being the advertiser. Can anyone who is in this business give me any pointers in general. This is my ticket to becoming a Ferrari owner, hopefuly. Thanks,

Mike

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Need to be much more specific. Currently, answers would be all over the map. For instance...

Define: "advertising company"
    Agency? Distributor of circulars? Electronic media? Printer? Signmaker?

Define: "focusing on night clubs, malls and the like"
    Clients? Target points of distribution? "the like"?

3. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    we will be placing ads in malls, night clubs, restaurants and places of that nature. they will be posters. I will lease the space and sell the ads.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    as in... signs that are on the opposite side of the mall map? just trying to get clarification.

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    There's one thing to bear in mind when dealing with Malls - Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT). And they ain't nickel and dimers.
    Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE: SPG), headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, is a real estate investment trust engaged in the ownership and management of income-producing properties, primarily regional malls and community shopping centers. Through its subsidiary partnerships, it currently owns or has an interest in 236 properties containing an aggregate of 182 million square feet of gross leasable area in 36 states, as well as nine assets in Europe and Canada.

Fantastic.

But read this 1998 article to get a grasp on how these guys handle their Mall advertising, amongst other things.
    http://www.nreionline.com/ar/real_estate_retail_news_19/

That's the type of biz you may be competing with. But, if you can provide some details which differ from what REIT's such as Simon are currently up to, there may be F-Chatter's to help you find or confirm you already have a unique niche which you and a REIT or 2 or 3 can exploit to your mutual benefit. Devil is in the Details.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I would think this company might give you some competition or some useful information from their web site- JC Decaux. They are huge in outdoor/indoor advertising.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Pointer #1: Do not bother to try to make engineers read advertising. In fact, if you can identify engineers and avoid advertising to them they will recognize the emense benefit (of not having dribble thrown in their direction constantly) that they might even consider what you did not advertise towards them.

Pointer #2: Computer geeks are just like engineers.

8. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    It is placing ads in bathrooms, above urinals and on the back of stall doors. hopefully its my key to sucess and a Ferrari. I will read that artical tonight. Thanks

9. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Excre- I mean, Excellent. Thought such was the case.
    Captive audience & they remember what they read. Especially if they more-or-less directly face the ad between 30 seconds to god-knows-how-many-minutes. That means memory retention of the ad will be much higher.
    Studies have shown that from the time a person wakes up until they go to bed, they see and/or hear up to 1,600 corporate messages. Daily.

A captive audience in the settings you're describing?

As a test, during the last presidential election, DiMassimo Brand Advertising randomly placed written statements about Al Gore and George W. Bush in several New York City restrooms.

The results ? 62 percent of folks remembered the exact message in the bathroom political ads, compared to only 16 percent who remembered advertisements on a billboard,

That is effective advertising. 62 percent remembered the exact message. But you probably already know that. Others who've been following this thread, but were waiting to see details before they might be able to contribute to your goal, may do just that now. I hope so. After all, your stated goal is a Ferrari.

My connection to advertising is simply this: I used to manage the labor force (read: as efficiency goes, so do profits - I always got 'em both up) for a firm that sent Stock Photography, Illustration and Photography books to upwards of 75,000 ad agency employees. Each company did distributions several times annually. Clients sending these books were the biggest in the industry.

10. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    wax- thanks for the info on the election and for the encouragement. and thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and will do so in the future.

Mike

11. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    Would restrooms be common area space? just wondering how creative I need to get.