Starter Help | FerrariChat

Starter Help

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 90TR, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 90TR

90TR Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2005
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi everyone, My 1990 TR was running great yesterday, thought I would take it out for a spin for gas, and now I have an issue. Started right up today but was running poorly. As I was backing it out of the garage it stalled. I tried the key and no starter. Lights are on the dash....I can hear the fuel pumps but no power seems to be going to the starter. I swapped the starter relay and the starter fuse, but it was not the issue. When I moved to the engine compartment I noticed the coil wire on the passenger side was off. A quick check I found the metal on the end had completely rusted away. Obviously need to swap that. Checking the other side showed that one was lose too, but fine, so I just plugged it back in. I am going to replace the coil wire, but not sure what is going on with the starter??? Any thoughts on why no power is getting there????

Figures this would happen a week before the Celebration Exotic Show Ugh

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just jump the smal wire at the starter and the bog wire to see if it is a matter of the starter or solenoid or something else. if so use the wiring diagram. but you may also look here in the forum, there are some desciptions about starter problems.

the poor running I think you found already why is was so? but just check, and if necessary change all ignition wires, then you know it is all done

3. 90TR

90TR Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2005
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks! I have confirmed I have 12v from the battery coming to the starter, but when the key is turned to start I am not getting power to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid. I am guessing that there must be another relay stopping things prior but cannot find anything other than the relay and fuse in the in the fuse panel. Any ideas as to why power is not getting to the relay in the fuse box?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There's no relay in the fuse box associated with the starter/solenoid (even though one might have "start" in the name). This thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/319238-88-5tr-wont-crank-over.html

shows the three connections between the ignition switch and the starter that you should check/reseat (w, y, and C11 connectors).

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Steve M is the only one you should listen to when it comes to electrical issues. He is hands down the best expert.

Bless you oh wise one.

6. testajohn

testajohn Rookie

Dec 19, 2016
    Harmelen,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John Hoogland
    If it was running badly before starting problems, maybe bad mass?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the car has an an alarm/ immobiliser then the feed to the solenoid is 1 of the circuits the immobiliser cuts to stop the car being pinched. If you know where it is you might see 2 or 3 loops of wires sticking out of the box, you can put a bypass wire in to see if it cures your problem

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    testajohn, would be great of you could fill out your profile and also introduce yourself a little.
    this would help you and also the other members here
    thank you